• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,445 posts in this topic

On 6/25/2023 at 10:40 PM, moonpool said:

Still slowly rebagging Hank Jansons', and while I'm trying not to flood the thread with Heade covers,   I thought the two different covers for Lillies for my Lovely would be of interest.

IMG-1429.jpg

There's no such thing as too much Heade! lol

My vote for the lingerie cover, besides the beautifully painted full body shot, I've seen the head shot cover many times and not the body shot so pretty sure that's the rare one(thumbsu

On 6/26/2023 at 1:20 AM, PopKulture said:

With the price of pulps these days, I focused more on paperbacks.

Sweet books. That "Overboard" looks pretty dreamy :drool: 

I've noticed a lot more competition for nice pbs online lately, and I quite logically suspect it's for the above quoted reason.

I wish I had more time to box dive at Windy City as there were definitely still relative bargains to be had in the vintage pbs.

On 6/25/2023 at 1:04 AM, jimjum12 said:

@GACollectibles

Just got this from Andrew :cloud9: Judy always speaks highly of this, her Dad read it with her when she was a kid. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

uk4rVgg.jpg

I just read this last year for the first time. Jenkins the robot and the doggies. I liked it and I generally like Clifford Simak. 

(thumbsu

On 6/26/2023 at 7:56 AM, moonpool said:

Awesome.  Maybe I should go to the Windy City show.

It’s definitely fun to pick up books in person, but the prices have crept up almost to the point of what they’re asking on the Bay (at least in some cases). The days of rummaging through boxes at $2 to $3 each seem to be well over, except for really marginal readers. 

The benefit of a show for me is meeting and talking to other collectors and dealers, and seeing all the original art in the room. 2c

On 6/26/2023 at 8:25 AM, Surfing Alien said:

Sweet books. That "Overboard" looks pretty dreamy :drool: 

I've noticed a lot more competition for nice pbs online lately, and I quite logically suspect it's for the above quoted reason.

I wish I had more time to box dive at Windy City as there were definitely still relative bargains to be had in the vintage pbs.

It’s still not the end-all keeper I crave, as it has some NCB upper-right corner creases and spine fading, but it’s definitely an upgrade to my previous copy. I don’t need to improve my Campus Town or Doll’s Trunk Murder - unless a truly minty one comes along - but I’d like just a bit sharper “Overboard” to complete what I’ve always had as a triumvirate in my mind. Those books just seem to go together.  :cloud9:

On 6/30/2023 at 7:43 PM, Surfing Alien said:

They're not flashy and didn't feature much GGA until quite a bit later ("Nana" by Emile Zola, being the exception!) But the solid, high quality construction and great classic titles that Pocket Books put out early on ensured the paperback book became a staple of American life from the 1940's on. 

Finally got to my boxes of Pockets that were stored away during the renovation. These earlies are all 1st printings and, I think, all fall into the proto fantasy/sci fi/adventure genre of having fantastical elements, even Sherlock to a degree. They are all 80+ years old now. That's mind boggling.

20230630_173744.thumb.jpg.f207da978863d9f277f51aafdfe23695.jpg

Great to see these. 

On 6/30/2023 at 8:51 PM, Sarg said:

Great to see these. 

H.P. Lovecraft was profoundly influenced by Hawthorne's "House of the Seven Gables"

Lovecraft's ideas for several stories of generational curses lurking and ghosting in the walls of an ancient New England house came from Hawthorne, the OG of horror novelists.

Edited by Surfing Alien
Completeness