• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,444 posts in this topic

On 6/15/2024 at 3:09 PM, OtherEric said:

A few more in today, just a couple more to go for the set.  I already have the Avon version of "Daughter" but the Pyramid is pretty nice looking as well. I wonder why Avon only did the one odd book?

01_Insidious.jpg

04_Daughter.jpg

05_Mask.jpg

11_Shadow.jpg

12_Re-Enter.jpg

Love the covers on "Daughter" and "Mask" They're really tough in high grade too.

On 6/16/2024 at 1:28 AM, Darwination said:

The chick looks Dodd-esque to me but the dude not so much, but Howell does have a lot of Beacons in that period. Still, Upwall was working for Universal Publishing at the time as well.  Paperback Steve's ID.  He, too, has been wrong before (shrug)

Steve is off on this one imho. Uppwall never painted a known cover in this style, RD is correct, he was much more detailed, while virtually every Dodd cover was in this style.

Edited by Surfing Alien

On 6/15/2024 at 1:24 PM, Darwination said:

I've been pretty amazed at how fiercely the lesbian books are collected.  Outside of PBOs by big authors and some other "key" sort of books, nothing else seems to command the prices that sleaze in its many flavors does.

Sleaze has had collectors come into the market lately and it seems to have unleashed a flood of high grade "rare" books into the market over the last couple of months, unlike anything I've ever seen. There seems to be a lot of old holders willing to let go of their books, including many letting multiple copies of books go. 

On the other hand, the supply of the traditional classic big keys in high grade has been almost nil over the past two or three years with almost no one seeming willing to let go of their nice big books. 

Just my anectodal observation 2c

On 6/17/2024 at 10:21 AM, jimjum12 said:

URmPtyG.jpg

A whole cult of leering A**-men :whistle:

I bought that one just this instant, great back cover, too. Pbs lead to impulse buying:roflmao:

Edited by Darwination

On 6/17/2024 at 2:24 PM, Darwination said:

A whole cut of leering -men :whistle:

I bought that one just this instant, great back cover, too. Pbs lead to impulse buying:roflmao:

The type of glutarals that make a young man turn in early at night :cloud9: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 6/17/2024 at 12:22 PM, jimjum12 said:

I didn;t want to post this until it was here ... A copy has been on my wantlist for a while, and ask for pretty copies hovers around $ 350. It's bittersweet, as I had to jettison some of my good ones at cost, in order to swing this @ less than $200. I'm somewhat over the moon, as it's a sweet copy in addition to the sig. GOD BLESS ...

PB531.webp

PB531i.webp

Very nice!  Ellison remains one of my favorite writers, and that's a gorgeous copy even before the signature.

Nice get, Jimbo!  Glad to hear it's a nice copy.  I've been picking up books from that seller (down in the very shallow end of the pool), and it's been a little unpredictable even if a mostly excellent experience.

On 6/17/2024 at 3:49 PM, Darwination said:

Nice get, Jimbo!  Glad to hear it's a nice copy.  I've been picking up books from that seller (down in the very shallow end of the pool), and it's been a little unpredictable even if a mostly excellent experience.

I almost always have bids on something from him. He often turns up some unexpected highlights. GOD BLESS ...

On 6/17/2024 at 12:24 PM, Darwination said:

A whole cut of leering A**-men :whistle:

I have that on my list also.

On 6/17/2024 at 2:21 PM, Darwination said:

Dropped a note on Steve's Flickr, he's going by Holroyd and remains unconvinced.  I'm just gonna take any artist credit off my files on this one even if I lean towards Dodd.

I'm not very familiar with Upwall, but I do notice he likes to sign:

Gutter Star - Dorine B. Clark - Stallion Book - No 210 - 1954 Village Girl - Intimate Novels - No 42 - Kathie Reed - 1953.

I love Steve and his efforts but he's a bit stiff about correcting things pointed out to him once he writes them down. It's a common trait that I have tried very hard to shed myself. The rigor of how Ruben and my pal Brian Emrich, who has the largest collection of vintage pb original art on the planet, look at crediting covers helped me a lot.

Holroyds credits are just recycled Warren credits, which, as Ruben jokes, was Lance, Gary and a few other guys pointing at unsigned covers back in the day and saying "hey, that looks like what's his face's art" with no academic rigor (shrug)

Edited by Surfing Alien