• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,502 posts in this topic

Here's a collector's dilemma I find myself in a lot with the paperbacks - do I want the first or would I prefer a later edition with a better painting? (almost always it's the better painting so far)

But here's a dilemma with the Hemingway Pat posted (Avati?)

img272.jpg.7a388e53686546b1ff4485371be92

I like the painting.  The one-armed man with his gun in his lap and the worried broad in the background.  But even better since it's Hemingway is that it's dockside with a seascape in the background.  I know the Bogey/Bacall flick but am a little shocked looking at the Wiki that I've never actually read the book because A) it's Hemingway and B) it's set in Florida and Cuba.  I've looked on my shelves and even in the attic and seem to have EVERY OTHER Hemingway but not this one (I guess that might explain why I haven't read it).  I could get a 4 dollar modern version shipped or read a scan or an epub, but why not grab this cool paperback, eh?  But now I discover the first is thus, same painting:

ToHaveandHaveNot-ErnestHemingway(1953.PermaBook253)cover.thumb.jpg.4b0f68f81bba0d77e7b3debf4a38f1b5.jpg

It's FIRST, but the painting's not as big.  There's red and the graphics are better on the later edition, and the back cover is better, too. And the painting strike is clear and subtle.  Nvm, I've made up my mind which one I'm looking for :roflmao:

On 7/2/2024 at 12:09 AM, Darwination said:

Here's a collector's dilemma I find myself in a lot with the paperbacks - do I want the first or would I prefer a later edition with a better painting? (almost always it's the better painting so far)

But here's a dilemma with the Hemingway Pat posted (Avati?)

img272.jpg.7a388e53686546b1ff4485371be92

I like the painting.  The one-armed man with his gun in his lap and the worried broad in the background.  But even better since it's Hemingway is that it's dockside with a seascape in the background.  I know the Bogey/Bacall flick but am a little shocked looking at the Wiki that I've never actually read the book because A) it's Hemingway and B) it's set in Florida and Cuba.  I've looked on my shelves and even in the attic and seem to have EVERY OTHER Hemingway but not this one (I guess that might explain why I haven't read it).  I could get a 4 dollar modern version shipped or read a scan or an epub, but why not grab this cool paperback, eh?  But now I discover the first is thus, same painting:

ToHaveandHaveNot-ErnestHemingway(1953.PermaBook253)cover.thumb.jpg.4b0f68f81bba0d77e7b3debf4a38f1b5.jpg

It's FIRST, but the painting's not as big.  There's red and the graphics are better on the later edition, and the back cover is better, too. And the painting strike is clear and subtle.  Nvm, I've made up my mind which one I'm looking for :roflmao:

Buy what you like. If you set a collecting goal of having 1st pbs, then get both. I've never let my goals stop me from getting a book I already have with a better cover. 2c

So, I just pre-ordered "The Last Dangerous Visions" off Amazon, scheduled release date of October 1, 2024.  What do we figure the odds are that it actually finally makes it out that day are?

I'm looking at about 20%, I figure with Ellison gone and others finishing the project, there's finally less insanity keeping it from releasing.  But the issues with the book are legendary, of course.

On 7/2/2024 at 4:55 AM, Surfing Alien said:

Buy what you like. If you set a collecting goal of having 1st pbs, then get both. I've never let my goals stop me from getting a book I already have with a better cover. 2c

And thusly the 29th guitar was purchased :D

I hear you, though :yeehaw:

On 7/1/2024 at 6:02 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

did search on what may be sig

Nik Puspurica  / Nick Puspurica (1929-2020)
Artist | Painter

A Dallas native, Nik Puspurica was a painter, illustrator, filmmaker, and teacher. He exhibited widely from the 1950’s through 1970’s both in Texas and New York, and his illustrations were featured on book covers, albums, and in magazines. Known for his bold use of color and mid-century modern aesthetic, his distinctive work captures the people, places, and spirit of New York and early Dallas.

Can't miss that sig. I shouldn't just accept an attribution without at least looking for one. :tonofbricks: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 7/2/2024 at 1:15 PM, Surfing Alien said:

For the Hemingway crowd, this 1st PB was in a random box I bought. Not super high grade but one I'd never seen before with cool cover art by Griffith Foxley.

20240702_141139.thumb.jpg.2396ee839e55f5daa70b438e9bbad351.jpg

Nice! 

I'm getting From Here to Eternity vibes, but they have all their clothes on, and I don't think they're on the beach.

Edited by Darwination

On 7/2/2024 at 7:11 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Pretty psyched that I think I've figured out who did the cover for Novel Library No. 39 "No Bed Of Her Own" by Val Lewton. Been wondering about this one forever since it's a famous "one hit wonder" by a highly noted film maker. 

My original copy had a hint of an initial in the lower right corner so I always wondered if there were offset copies that would reveal the sig. However it doesn't come up for sale often.

I recently got another copy and it show TWO initials clearly, "J" and "A", then I found a copy on ebay that shows the top only of THREE initials, that, combined with my clear TWO makes out the initials "JAE"

NoBed.thumb.jpg.ac20892d5f389f3eb2266a8393394425.jpg

NoBedDetail.thumb.jpg.20d7b05d8a54fcb19e85f69d558420ef.jpg

NoBedOfHerOwn.thumb.jpg.8e59b526e2e0da12d9b35c6dff210709.jpg

Going on Saunders pulp artists page,

https://www.pulpartists.com/Ernst.html

there's an artist named James A. Earnst, who mostly did Blue Book interiors, who used the three initials as shown in Saunders third example.

image.jpeg.d7ff0cc68655a05c09bb910ebcc390d5.jpeg

The artist himself is a ringer for the dude on the cover, and if you look at the September 1949 interior Saunders has posted, the line drawn newsstand man is the same guy and Earnst is  using the initials at this time.

image.jpeg.d130ac9140c66fe33e1160c4dd049874.jpeg

The pb is from 1949 so this was probably an opportunity for him to get a cover that he'd never get in the pulps. I'm pretty sure I'm right on this one.

image.jpeg.02fd589223fb170f9a8d4d55496c3d17.jpeg

That's a 100% solid ID between the sig and the style :golfclap: