• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
26 26

7,867 posts in this topic

As a newbie, I can't even imagine trying to run down entire catalogs.  Some of the short runs like Red Circle or something like that, sure, but Avons???

I'm honestly overwhelmed at the sheer number of vintage paperbacks - no surprise that some very able fellows have been exploring and indexing them for lifetimes.

Midwood is definitely a publisher you notice time and time again.  They seem to be in such great shape, too.  Ofc that might be because it doesn't appear that many are actually *reading* them :roflmao:

On 7/30/2024 at 1:05 PM, jimjum12 said:

I notice that many of you collect an entire Publisher's catalogue.

Those days are gone. That was collecting in the 80's-90's. They're too expensive overall and so many books in the major runs just aren't worth putting your money into. If you ever hope to get all the cool ones you want you'll want to divert that money to the ones you love. I've openly contemplated some of the smaller runs that are packed with killer titles like Lion and Pyramid, but Pocket or Popular? Even my beloved Avons I wouldn't try for the run. 

On 7/30/2024 at 1:12 PM, Darwination said:

Midwood is definitely a publisher you notice time and time again.  They seem to be in such great shape, too.  Ofc that might be because it doesn't appear that many are actually *reading* them :roflmao:

This is an anamoly of current prices flushing a few high grade collections into the market. This has not been the case for the last 10 years. You could barely find any Midwoods at all, let alone in high grade.

On 7/30/2024 at 7:14 PM, Surfing Alien said:

This is an anamoly of current prices flushing a few high grade collections into the market. This has not been the case for the last 10 years. You could barely find any Midwoods at all, let alone in high grade.

My experience as well.  Good to see those books getting the love they deserve.  (thumbsu

On 7/30/2024 at 1:05 PM, jimjum12 said:

I notice that many of you collect an entire Publisher's catalogue. That always made my eyebrow raise a tad... I mean, must be nice to be made out of money, but as I further my investigations, I see possibilities with that approach. My top go to is the circle logo Avon ... but I notice I like a LOT of the Midwood titles, and with the exception of a couple dozen ringers, most are doable in regard to cost. They're smutty but kind of with a wink, almost tasteful, if there is such a thing as tasteful sleaze. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

PB581.webp

I try to pick a section at a time if I seriously working on a full run,  like Popular 250 to 300.

On 7/30/2024 at 8:41 PM, Darwination said:

My first Goodis

NightSquad-DavidGoodis(1961.GoldMedals1083)coverPBOphoto.thumb.jpg.b601941f1ed408acd84a3923752fa8bd.jpg

Been looking into getting some of his titles, but they seem a tic pricier than other authors. Better stories?

On 7/31/2024 at 8:19 AM, johnenock said:

Been looking into getting some of his titles, but they seem a tic pricier than other authors. Better stories?

Famous hard-boiled author with something of a cult following.  Did a ton of work (mostly under alias) towards the twilight of the pulps but is mostly remembered for his novels that got turned into movies like Dark Passage and Nightfall.