• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
26 26

7,896 posts in this topic

I also have a question for the resident scholars of all things paperback. Is there any specific publisher or even a time period in which the large, glossy PB with die cut and /or embossed covers began to see prevalence or at least an increased exposure on the stands? GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

PB287.jpg

On 8/13/2024 at 5:20 PM, jimjum12 said:

I also have a question for the resident scholars of all things paperback. Is there any specific publisher or even a time period in which the large, glossy PB with die cut and /or embossed covers began to see prevalence or at least an increased exposure on the stands? GOD BLESS ...

PB287.jpg

Just answered my own question, per bing. GOD BLESS ....

Embossing on paperbacks became popular in the late 20th century, particularly during the 1980s and 1990s. This technique was used to add a tactile and visual appeal to book covers, making them stand out on shelves. Embossing involves creating a raised design on the cover, which can highlight titles, author names, or decorative elements. It became a trend as publishers sought new ways to attract readers and differentiate their books in a competitive market.

On 8/13/2024 at 5:02 PM, jimjum12 said:

Embossing on paperbacks became popular in the late 20th century, particularly during the 1980s and 1990s. This technique was used to add a tactile and visual appeal to book covers, making them stand out on shelves. Embossing involves creating a raised design on the cover, which can highlight titles, author names, or decorative elements. It became a trend as publishers sought new ways to attract readers and differentiate their books in a competitive market.

Yep. I've never seen an embossed cover on any pre-1970s paperback, I don't think. 

On 8/13/2024 at 6:49 PM, Sarg said:

Yep. I've never seen an embossed cover on any pre-1970s paperback, I don't think. 

I think it could be considered a modern age embellishment. GOD BLESS ... 

On 8/13/2024 at 7:26 PM, johnenock said:

And another nice looking Avon. I've noticed on a couple of my copies that the right edge doesn't cover the interior pages. Is this trimming? Don't want to deal with another hobby where I have to do resto checks!

image.thumb.jpeg.53d2ea901f7599514a66813d5a831e2f.jpeg

This is not trimming, this is common shrinkage of the cover paper.

Trimming has never been a problem on vintage pbs, but the glue shrinkage on the spine causes everything from cover "retreat" usually on the right side,  to brittle spine glue cracking and related falling apart of the entire book due to dried out glue.

On 8/13/2024 at 5:20 PM, jimjum12 said:

PB287.jpg

Not sure, but I don't think any collector cares about those distinctions enough to make a dollar difference hm

On 8/13/2024 at 6:57 PM, Surfing Alien said:
On 8/13/2024 at 4:20 PM, jimjum12 said:

PB287.jpg

Not sure, but I don't think any collector cares about those distinctions enough to make a dollar difference hm

I agree but it does make me wonder when some of that started.  I have fold out covers from the 60s (mostly smut titles), and I think one of my favorite covers for Astounding Science Fiction from the 50s has a die-cut cover.  But my recollection is that it was really the 80s when some of those things got common on paperbacks (embossing, spot-gloss/metallic printing, die-cut, etc.).  Thinking of titles by VC Andrews, etc.  Seemed like a fad because I don't recall many in the 90s or since.

But that could be entirely limited by my particular focus and reading interests.

On 8/13/2024 at 5:52 PM, Surfing Alien said:

This is not trimming, this is common shrinkage of the cover paper.

Trimming has never been a problem on vintage pbs, but the glue shrinkage on the spine causes everything from cover "retreat" usually on the right side,  to brittle spine glue cracking and related falling apart of the entire book due to dried out glue.

Looked at this copy. Definitely a bit of dried out glue but solid for now with a bit of separation along top of spine. Now, I will know what to avoid.

On 8/13/2024 at 5:02 PM, jimjum12 said:

I was thinking 80s cuz they always had it on what my granny called her "naughty books" which were no doubt far dirtier than the 50s stuff I'm reading termed "sleaze".  hm

Don't think granddad's L'Amours ever looked very sparkly though I may not remember them clearly:yeehaw:

On 8/13/2024 at 6:26 PM, johnenock said:

And another nice looking Avon. I've noticed on a couple of my copies that the right edge doesn't cover the interior pages. Is this trimming? Don't want to deal with another hobby where I have to do resto checks!

image.thumb.jpeg.53d2ea901f7599514a66813d5a831e2f.jpeg

I have this on many pbs and was thinking it is a "miswrap" thing. Or the opposite where sometimes the spine printing will wander on to the cover and then the some cover stuff gets hacked off on the right edge 🤔

I'm not worried about resto on the pbs cept for glue on the spine in some cases.  I do find myself hunting for a good wrap/cut though where stuff doesn't get cut off or framed weird.

Ain't sweating the small stuff on most books

Edited by Darwination

On 8/13/2024 at 7:57 PM, Surfing Alien said:

No need to be dismissive.