• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
26 26

7,894 posts in this topic

On 9/5/2024 at 12:14 AM, Darwination said:

FullMoon-TalbotMundyandHighPriestofCalifornia-CharlesWilleford(1953.RoyalGiant20)coverWalterPopp.thumb.jpg.d8194b16be010b1700139bd139de82f1.jpg

Seems like a weird pairing :D

About 2/3 of the pages are the Mundy.  I picked it up from Steve for the Willeford but might end up reading both.

There's so much awesomeness going on in those two covers, it's mind boggling together. I really wish Royal had flip flopped them like the Ace's.

On 9/5/2024 at 5:04 PM, jimjum12 said:

Here's some newbs. The ERB's I've already read, but I may try to find a larger print version of the Himes to study. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

PB591.webp

As is sometimes the case with the paperbacks, this one was originally cut down by the publisher.  The modern release "The End of the Primitive" is restored to the original text.

I haven't read the original release, so I don't know what was cut only that it wasn't what Himes intended.

I love the vintage paperbacks but find instances where it's not the version I prefer to read first.  Even "complete and unabridged" doesn't actually mean complete and unabridged in some cases :facepalm:

I see they've got a version of The End of a Primitive available for checkout at the Internet Archive if you do digital, Jimbo.  One of the nice things about digital is you can blow up the text to whatever level is comfortable for reading.

I'll still be picking up the Signet edition if I see it in the right price and condition, would love to have it :D

Edited by Darwination

A couple of later mysteries, I was annoyed when  @goldust40 beat me to the Man-Killer/ Running Scared in @Surfing Alien's latest thread, so had to correct that, even if the copy isn't as nice.  And the Bloch is a high demand double in its own right that I'm very happy to finally get my hands on.

Ace D 469a.jpg

Ace D 469b.jpg

Ace D 265a.jpg

Ace D 265b.jpg

Edited by OtherEric