• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
26 26

7,915 posts in this topic

On 9/17/2024 at 11:26 PM, Black Cactus said:

Trigger warning: Boobs

Figured I'd pop in to share some sleazy Saber Books with Bill Edwards covers. From the mid 1960's to early 1970's.

:jawdrop: :golfclap:

What a line-up of covers.  I bid recently on the first edition of Sex Life of a Cop (having a crazy spot in U.S. obscenity law) and came up short :sorry:

On 9/17/2024 at 10:45 PM, Darwination said:

:jawdrop: :golfclap:

What a line-up of covers.  I bid recently on the first edition of Sex Life of a Cop (having a crazy spot in U.S. obscenity law) and came up short :sorry:

Is that the one of the guy (in his PJs?) pointing at the officers? Always liked that cover! I think I recall seeing the auction you mentioned. 

Edited by Black Cactus

On 9/18/2024 at 7:23 PM, Darwination said:

A pal who recently read recommended it and says the ending makes it all worth it.  Guess I'll read the e-version but was hoping to read it in paper.

I'll confess to having read quite a few of the various sleaze title lines and it's pretty funny how uniformly bad they are in various and mostly humorous ways lol They ain't no Gold Medal's :facepalm:  Edwards' covers are mostly great though (thumbsu

On 9/19/2024 at 7:44 AM, Surfing Alien said:

I'll confess to having read quite a few of the various sleaze title lines and it's pretty funny how uniformly bad they are in various and mostly humorous ways lol They ain't no Gold Medal's :facepalm:

I'd always heard that quite a few were actually written by really top writers using pseudonyms when they were still struggling young writers trying to make ends meet.  Has anyone ever noticed any dirty PBs that seemed to be unusually well written? 

On 9/18/2024 at 11:36 PM, tth2 said:

I'd always heard that quite a few were actually written by really top writers using pseudonyms when they were still struggling young writers trying to make ends meet.  Has anyone ever noticed any dirty PBs that seemed to be unusually well written? 

That anecdote probably refers to the couple dozen (maybe 100 to 200)  that were written by Robert Silverberg, Lawrence Block, Harlan Ellison, Harry Whittington and a few other starving artists who cashed in on Nightstand Books and sundry others circa 1960.

The vast majority of sleaze titles were written by editors and/or submitters, and are often entertaining, although usually not high lit :whatthe:

On 9/18/2024 at 8:36 PM, tth2 said:

Essex House actually turned out quite a bit of work by good writers.  But they were an oddball company by any standards, based on what little I know of them.

On 9/19/2024 at 12:33 AM, OtherEric said:

Essex House actually turned out quite a bit of work by good writers.  But they were an oddball company by any standards, based on what little I know of them.

Now you got me looking around for the Essex House printing of Notes of a Dirty Old Man - too pricey for my blood.