• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kevin Boyd / Comic Book Lounge SS Opps thread

81 posts in this topic

That's really too bad to hear, I hate it when people are so disrespectful like that. Scott's such a great guy and has always been so much fun to interact with at signings. Things seemed like they went smoothly Friday, but I got in on the first morning signing.

Scott does a great job posting his signing and panel schedule on twitter before events and the schedule he posted before C2E2 indicated that he would only be doing the VIP signing and no public signings on Sunday, so hopefully it wasn't too big of a thing...

I had the privilege to help Scott out at the VIP signing on Sunday and he didn't mention anything about getting pissed about stacks of books. I did ask him if he was going back to his booth and he said that after the VIP signing he was going to hang with his family. To me it sounded like from the start of the weekend he was never planning on going back to his booth after his commitment to the VIP attendees.

But most of us see it coming that tight limits are on the way

It was great seeing all of you! :foryou:

And i was happy to hear that Kev got back to the hotel safe after dinner the night of the "nicking" ^^

Nicking night...the night will go down in infamy :eek:

Scott Snyder=by far the nicest, most humble writer/comic celeb I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Ever. Seriously I mean this 100%, as there are some artists I get assigned to that are less than pleasant and very unfriendly. Like Doug said the VIP on Sunday went fast and super smooth, we handled it in about 90 minutes

Doug Hurley aka Mr. L and L!

I waited a couple of hours for Scott Saturday and he arrived about 45 minutes late and apologized for being late. He signed for the first few people and they had stacks...like 30 each and not a dime donated.

After that he turned to those of us closest and basically said it was a limit of ten, don't give him more or he won't sign and would be upset or something to that extent.

The next people in line were DScott and James...donation

Then Torrie...donation

Then Seanfingh...donation

Then JJ...donation

I believe we each threw in $20-$40 each and did the day before also.

Was sad to see no one donate ahead and hopefully more did behind us.

What is getting out of control are more and more fees for anyone who works in comics regardless of the popularity of the book or how many. There was one art rep asking $10 per signature of a fairly well known artist. No thanks. One signature, just not a major deal. You want a bunch signed then charge a fee...

I worked with Pat Gleason this weekend and we had a HERO bucket out and just simply asked if you had ten or more items throw a little donation in. Easy.

There was also Jurgens who I guess someone in Florida upset enough that he is now cautious of everything he signs or sketches on a blank. Basically this could cause issues for us all. Remember you represent CGC also when you bring up stacks and don't offer something in return.

Be upfront with your intentions folks. Ask if you can donate to charity or the artist when asking for multiple books to be signed or if you are getting multiple blanks...better yet, don't take up half the commission list and you won't have to worry.

Great advice.

I had a good discussion with a rep of a few artists on my "to do" list this weekend. I got the reps email talking about possible bulk discount, private signings and why $10. I explained that at $10 a book quite a bit of money is being left on the table. There are quite a few books done by this reps artists that simply don't sell on the secondary market...yet. I can't see gambling $500 on 50 books just to test the market. I'll see where it goes.

Personally I'm a big fan of the Heroes buckets. Whether it was a single book, a stack or a sketch I was happy to throw something in. Fiona was happy with the donations and I believe everyone in her line donated something.

Yep I made sure each and everyone of my caws this weekend have scott $5 a book. That's what he gets for a private signing and he wasn't able to do one for me this weekend because he had his family. I decided that he was still signing so many books for us that he deserved the cash still.

We went through the line a total of 12 times and paid him over $500, I know JJ, Harmon, Kevlar all donated just as much if not more. JJ even gave him extra and told him to buy his kids some toys.

Not sure what happened with Scott, but I dont think there was a donation from the box of books left on Sunday for Scott to sign at the VIP. 40-50 books or more signed, not sure if there was any donation but I dont think so

And thank you Torrey for the help on Saturday, as I couldn't stay on the Snyder line and be at the booth at the same time. Thanks again

Yep I made sure each and everyone of my caws this weekend have scott $5 a book. That's what he gets for a private signing and he wasn't able to do one for me this weekend because he had his family. I decided that he was still signing so many books for us that he deserved the cash still.

We went through the line a total of 12 times and paid him over $500, I know JJ, Harmon, Kevlar all donated just as much if not more. JJ even gave him extra and told him to buy his kids some toys.

It was the same way for us Doug at ECCC in the fact that we always paid donations for books being signed. That is the dscott way.

It was the same way for us Doug at ECCC in the fact that we always paid donations for books being signed. That is the dscott way.

I watched Anchorman 2 on the plane ride home.

"Don't have a great day. Have an American day"

"Don't do it the right way. Do it the dscott way"

I watched Anchorman 2 on the plane ride home.

"Don't have a great day. Have an American day"

"Don't do it the right way. Do it the dscott way"

(thumbs u

I truly mean this...and I know it's in my dear friend Kevin's thread...who I never seemed to get enough time to spend with this weekend :(

DScott/James/Joseph

Truly an honor to watch you guys work and accomplish so much day in and day out. You have fun, needle each other all day long, but at the end of the day you do everything the way I would do it or the way it should be done.

You establish relationships.

You talk to creators.

You pay creators.

You line up work for creators.

You push unknown artists who have talent.

You take other facilitators books to help out.

You donate money every chance their is a bucket out.

You never 'flip' out with creator but use humor and charm to complete the task respectfully.

I think anyone who has been a SS Director now or in the past sees the hard work and I know other facilitators have commented on how hard you guys work daily.

You show up early, you leave late. You divide and conquer.

Then you go eat dinner with JJ at 11pm each night because we all forgot to eat lol

Keep up the great work.

Totally uncalled for, Scott is one of the nicest guys I have ever met at a show. And im sure its not easy doing a con, being as popular as him, and having two kids and your wife with you. People should have behaved better.