• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Hot or not Clause

6 posts in this topic

Or what makes you buy what you buy?

There are done covers that just "pop". It doesn't matter at this point what's inside, only that the cover is so amazing it's worth picking up. If the comic book is good, the next issue is purchased. If not, it's a one and done. A book that I decided I really liked the cover was on World Wide comics. As I was piecing together my New Mutants collection I saw a 9.8 copy of The Incredible Hulk #109. At $1200, I knew it was a book I had to save up for, eventually I passed.

About a year later at the Baltimore Comic Con I found a pretty nice copy. Matt Nelson was in attendance and he helped me make the decision of purchasing the book. He thought it could get a 9.6 with a press. I bought the book and decided to take it home to read it before I turned it over to Classics Incorporated for the service. Everything changed the following month at the NYCC. Herb Trimpe was in attendance and I thought his John Hancock across Zabu would be ideal. I could always press it later.

The book is not hot at all. It's not a key issue. There is nothing special about it other than what a great cover it is. After being returned as a 9.4, I was very pleased with owning it. One day I might press it, or just try to sell it to purchase a higher quality copy. Of course that all might be a moot point.

Thanks for a Reading

Tnerb

15010.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

I have to say that I feel the same way about a lot of covers. While the interior may not be all that exciting there are always covers that simply shout out to be looked upon.

Congrat's on the grade and honestly thats an amazing place to have his signature placed. I do think though I am going to start doing the more personalized signatures from now on. Whether it be a small quote in the books or even a remark of a small head, adding that extra special placement shows its even more yours than anyone elses.

That's one of my favorite Hulk covers. I agree with you, some covers just pop. Often times they become hot because of that, making them hard to afford. This one (for whatever reason) didn't achieve that hot "classic cover" status so it makes it affordable for all of us. Great story! I have to say though that reading stories about people who track down signatures and then press and then submit to CGC (and then even crack over, get more sigs, then resubmit) seems like so much work to me. I guess once you do it it's not that hard. I guess I'll have to eventually try doing it.

There those covers that really stand out, and these are the covers that when shown to one who either does not collect comics or maybe the particular title/company/character where those individuals say "I like that cover." Those are the good covers. As for your Hulk #109, I like that cover.

Also, great signature placement!

B