• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Value Stamp Missing Doesnt Effect Story

10 posts in this topic

Let's apply some logic with some real data.

GPA on a CGC 9.8 is around 550.00 avg.

20-25% off means you are paying 400.00-450.00 for that book.

A blue label CGC 9.6 is 250.00 avg and I would far prefer a CGC 9.6 complete book to a 9.8 qualified with a cut out.

Therefore, the books value is far less than the CGC 9.6.

Going further:

A CGC 9.2 is gpa value of avg $100.00, and again i would rather have a blue label cgc 9.2 of that book than a qualified 9.8 with a clipped MVS.

A CGC 8.5 is 30 bucks, and I would rather have that as well.

I honestly can't value the book beyond $25.00 and I doubt many other collectors would either.

MVS clipped out is bad news with the exception of mega keys like Hulk 181 but even those are heavily devalued.

Hope this information helps.

As with all flaws that garner a purple or green label, the percentage discounted from the apparent or qualified grade increases the higher the grade. As Artboy99 illustrated, a 9.8 with a missing value stamp is should take a huge hit compared to a Universal 9.8. A 9.0 less so, and when you get down to raw G/VG copies, it is probably only going to be a small percentage.

In addition, variance from issue to issue and the whims of the marketplace make a standard percentage based on grade impossible to quantify.

I see the CM 33 is currently at $50. I wouldn't be surprised if it caps out right about there, but I also wouldn't be shocked if it goes for as much as $150, though I wouldn't count on recouping one's investment at that price.

I see the CM 33 is currently at $50. I wouldn't be surprised if it caps out right about there, but I also wouldn't be shocked if it goes for as much as $150, though I wouldn't count on recouping one's investment at that price.

A clipped Marvel Value Stamp is probably the most extreme form of the "coupon cut" defect, as these are viewed as part of the comic. I view MVS-less books as junk from a collecting point of view, and I can't see anyone putting up serious money for this, maybe e $50-$75 just to fake-fill a Registry hole.

The key element here is that this comic is NOT in any way, shape or form a CGC 9.8. It's an incomplete, cut-up comic with a very important piece sliced out.

This just highlights the utter stupidity of the Qualified grade, as every single book is theoretically a "Qualified 10" if you discount all the various defects the comic has.

I honestly can't value the book beyond $25.00 and I doubt many other collectors would either.

The only reason I went higher is the assumption of 9.8-level Registry Points for this - exactly how for the CGC Registry account for Qualified?

A clipped Marvel Value Stamp is probably the most extreme form of the "coupon cut" defect, as these are viewed as part of the comic. I view MVS-less books as junk from a collecting point of view, and I can't see anyone putting up serious money for this, maybe e $50-$75 just to fake-fill a Registry hole.

The key element here is that this comic is NOT in any way, shape or form a CGC 9.8. It's an incomplete, cut-up comic with a very important piece sliced out.

This just highlights the utter stupidity of the Qualified grade, as every single book is theoretically a "Qualified 10" if you discount all the various defects the comic has.

Book would look supa-sweet in a mylar though