• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

?? No UPC ??

5 posts in this topic

OK guys be nice,total new-be here. I collected comics when I was 12-16, -oh about that long ago also (ouch).

I decided to get back into it and bought a few books and an overstreet. I noticed things have really changed.

So Ive got a bunch of questions. Whats with the Star Wars upc/ no upc, .30/.35,reprint stuff??

Did that make sense?

Thanks Steve! 893applaud-thumb.gif

comics with upc box were distributed to newstands, markets, drugstores. It was meant to help those places with checkout procedures.

comics without upc box bar codes were sold directly to such places as comic shops.

price variants: Marvel attempted to raise the price of comics by a nickel in certain test market cities to gauge if they would sell. The test was a success and Marvel raised the price of their comics by a nickel. This price test happened noticeably twice. When Marvel went from .25 cents to .30 cents and when they went from .30 cents to .35 cents. So there are quite a few comics that have two different prices for the same issue.

anything else?

Basically, 35 cent Star Wars comics without a UPC code are reprints.

There are also 30 cent versions that are reprints. With and without UPC codes.

If you have a 35 cent issue of #1 through #4, that has a UPC code, it is the variant.

Welcome to the boards! flowerred.gif