• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you bought trimmed comics?

96 posts in this topic

I only have one trimmed book that I am aware of, and I knew that when I bought it.

This book is for me and will never be sold, the trimming doesnt matter to me, I would rather have this book, nice to look at in purple, than hanging to bits in blue, so this is the best I could afford at the time.

So, if the book hadn't been trimmed, it was going to fall to pieces?

-slym

I only have one trimmed book that I am aware of, and I knew that when I bought it.

This book is for me and will never be sold, the trimming doesnt matter to me, I would rather have this book, nice to look at in purple, than hanging to bits in blue, so this is the best I could afford at the time.

-slym

No,a nice restored book and an unrestored book beat to hell are probably gonna be the same cost wise.

Bought an Amazing Fantasy #15 from a Cincinnati comic shop (Queen City Comics) in the early 90's. Paid $800 for it. :)

It came back as a 4.5 restored (trimmed on right edge). :( No wonder it looked so good to me.

Since I don't keep restored (or trimmed) books EVER. I sold it on Ebay for $2,525. It still had the label stating it was trimmed. When I contacted the buyer to make sure he understood that it was in fact, trimmed. He said that he knew that when he bid. So all was good.

He also stated that "it is an Amazing Fantasy 15. Don't much care that it is trimmed".

So, this illustrates both sides of the coin.

This is true, since I hate trimmed comics and if I owned one I would feel like I cheated and bought and it isn't authentic. There's also rare books that people don't mind having trimmed, and if the seller tells the buyer the comic has been trimmed and the buyer still doesn't mind much then I guess it should be fine.

Personally I thin is a bunch of B$ when I see comics on ebay and the seller says the comic has been trimmed, but at least he is being honest and I guess the number of bids on those comics tell me that people don't really hate trimming as much as I do, maybe I'll be open minded towards trimmed books.

The reason I ask is because I know of a ST 110 that has been slightly trimmed and looks like a 7.0 range but idk if $1000 is over paying for it or not..?

-slym

No,a nice restored book and an unrestored book beat to hell are probably gonna be the same cost wise.

Yep thats it (thumbs u

Yep thats it (thumbs u

Pardons - the way it is worded, I took it as "I'd rather have this book, nice to look at in purple, than the same book in blue where it would be falling to bits."

:sorry:

-slym

Yep thats it (thumbs u

Pardons - the way it is worded, I took it as "I'd rather have this book, nice to look at in purple, than the same book in blue where it would be falling to bits."

:sorry:

-slym

Yeah, I should have worded it better, take a look at the price of a trimmed book, it is about 50% the cost of a blue book making a knackered 2.0 into a lovely 5.5 or 6.0, as long as its a keeper its cool.

If I was investing, probably not such a good idea, though I dont know why, resto is okay and even encouraged in other art forms.

Have bought and sold trimmed comics on this site. ALWAYS important to disclose it, but it is just another consideration factor.

CGC notes it, but does not specifically categorize it as restoration (i.e. trimming alone does not obtain a purple label).

That's incorrect.

No it's not. Thanks for playing though.

Trimming doesn't always get a purple label.

"trimming alone does not obtain a purple label"

"Trimming doesn't always get a purple label."

Can you see the difference in the 2 statements here? You completely changed your sentences, as you changed from an absolute to questionable. "Trimming alone does not obtain a purple label" means that a trimmed book won't get a purple label unless there is something else wrong with it. Which is incorrect, as I originally stated. Maybe that's not what you meant, but I can only work with what I have in front of me.

Bought an Amazing Fantasy #15 from a Cincinnati comic shop (Queen City Comics) in the early 90's. Paid $800 for it. :)

It came back as a 4.5 restored (trimmed on right edge). :( No wonder it looked so good to me.

Since I don't keep restored (or trimmed) books EVER. I sold it on Ebay for $2,525. It still had the label stating it was trimmed. When I contacted the buyer to make sure he understood that it was in fact, trimmed. He said that he knew that when he bid. So all was good.

He also stated that "it is an Amazing Fantasy 15. Don't much care that it is trimmed".

So, this illustrates both sides of the coin.

This is true, since I hate trimmed comics and if I owned one I would feel like I cheated and bought and it isn't authentic. There's also rare books that people don't mind having trimmed, and if the seller tells the buyer the comic has been trimmed and the buyer still doesn't mind much then I guess it should be fine.

Personally I thin is a bunch of B$ when I see comics on ebay and the seller says the comic has been trimmed, but at least he is being honest and I guess the number of bids on those comics tell me that people don't really hate trimming as much as I do, maybe I'll be open minded towards trimmed books.

The reason I ask is because I know of a ST 110 that has been slightly trimmed and looks like a 7.0 range but idk if $1000 is over paying for it or not..?

Could you better explain what the BS is about? What would be BS about a book for sale on Ebay, clearly identified as being trimmed?

Have bought and sold trimmed comics on this site. ALWAYS important to disclose it, but it is just another consideration factor.

CGC notes it, but does not specifically categorize it as restoration (i.e. trimming alone does not obtain a purple label).

That's incorrect.

Can you see the difference in the 2 statements here? You completely changed your sentences, as you changed from an absolute to questionable. "Trimming alone does not obtain a purple label" means that a trimmed book won't get a purple label unless there is something else wrong with it. Which is incorrect, as I originally stated. Maybe that's not what you meant, but I can only work with what I have in front of me.

What are trying to prove?

Are you glad you joined the boards just to pick at the grammar or words I typed on my iPhone. My point is still the same and you were wrong. Trying to claim otherwise on a technicality isn't intelligent, it is immature.

That's incorrect.

Are you glad you joined the boards just to pick at the grammar or words I typed on my iPhone. My point is still the same and you were wrong. Trying to claim otherwise on a technicality isn't intelligent, it is immature.

I'm going to assume that English isn't your first language? You admit what you said at first was wrong, but I'm still wrong when I point it out? lol I'm not even arguing semantics here, I'm using your own words. Suffice to say what you wrote was wrong - just accept it, and move on.

That's incorrect.

I'm going to assume that English isn't your first language? You admit what you said at first was wrong, but I'm still wrong when I point it out? lol I'm not even arguing semantics here, I'm using your own words. Suffice to say what you wrote was wrong - just accept it, and move on.

Do you feel better? Does being a jerk satisfy your need to inflate your ego? Do bigotry and elitism lead to your winning?

Making friends from day one, congrats. (thumbs u

FYI - I am not wrong and picking apart my English (second language or not) doesn't make you right.

That's incorrect.

Do you feel better? Does being a jerk satisfy your need to inflate your ego?

Yeah, your first reponse to me - "thanks for playing!" - wasn't jerky at all lol

Do bigotry and elitism lead to your winning?

That makes no sense. How is stating something correctly elitism? If you say 2 + 2 is 5 and I correct you, I'm being an elitist? :screwy:

Making friends from day one, congrats. (thumbs u

Like you've been all rainbows and lollipops since you got here.

FYI - I am not wrong

Yes you are. And I know Miraclemet read your statement the same way I did, or he wouldn't have made his "I got a PLOD that only had trimming" post a couple of posts after mine.

and picking apart my English (second language or not) doesn't make you right.

If English really isn't your first language, shouldn't you be more humble and know your limitations?

Mean what you say, say what you mean. Thanks for playing!!

For Truce:

Zap1_trimmed.jpg

:foryou:

-slym

WTF is up with that book? I have owned trimmed only books before. They were purple label. If it's only trimmed with nothing else done the resto isn't "classified". That is they don't call it minor, moderate, extensive nor amatuer or professional.

I ran the serial number on this book and it's verified on CGC's website and only graded a couple of years ago. The trimming is noted in the "pedigree" field. Never seen that before