• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Silver Age Keys - CGC Data

25 posts in this topic

The harder of marvel keys compare to the easier of Silver age DC keys

300-500 copies slabbed (sometimes less!) hm hm hm

less collectors of DC though too, so all factors into price.

I'd love to see the same data on SC 4, SC 22, BB 28 and OOAW 83 !!

Joey

I just did universal copies only...seemed easier to present the data that way. I will add Avengers one to the other chart. In the mean time...I was able to throw this chart fo DC keys together pretty quickly (again...universal data only)...I will likely blog on this sometime this week...some surprising observations here...and some not so surprising.

DC_Silver_Keys.jpg

Great charts Sundrycollect!

What jumps out the most to me from both of these charts is that CGC has something against using the 3.5 grade. In fact most of the .5 grades take a dip.

I guess the CGC graders, like most humans, like round numbers.

Yes...I made the same observation on my blog...it's odd, but, I agree, I guess we like round numbers. The Brave and the Bold 28 is the poster child for this observation!

Todd

Thanks. I think it's clear, Hulk 1 is the toughest.

Overall, yes, but the chart appears to disprove the notion that it is tougher than FF #1 above 5.0.

JIM 83 seems to be marginally scarcer than Hulk in the low grades. It's really in the 4.0-5.0 range that Hulk comes up short. As these grades tend to represent the intersection of affordability and presentation for a lot of collectors, I can see why the overall impression is that Hulk #1 is much tougher than the other keys.

that is so odd that half grades consistently drop down! I think we would all have expected that CGC grades in a continuum of grades, each a marginally better book, and that the data would not show a zigzag pattern that is so obvious!

Seems a psychological "barrier" that develops in the graders…that favors round numbers over half steps... or something… but it makes no sense. 7.5 and 8.5 are real grades, and should NOT have far fewer copies than 7.0. 8.0, respectively.

any ideas?

that is so odd that half grades consistently drop down! I think we would all have expected that CGC grades in a continuum of grades, each a marginally better book, and that the data would not show a zigzag pattern that is so obvious!

Seems a psychological "barrier" that develops in the graders…that favors round numbers over half steps... or something… but it makes no sense. 7.5 and 8.5 are real grades, and should NOT have far fewer copies than 7.0. 8.0, respectively.

any ideas?

It's a "human" thing. If grading could be accurately programmed into a computer then we wouldn't see any bias towards whole numbers.

The funny thing is last year it seemed like every time I open a package from CGC it contained only 5.5s & 8.5s. that was really frustrating.

any ideas?

It's a "human" thing. If grading could be accurately programmed into a computer then we wouldn't see any bias towards whole numbers.

The funny thing is last year it seemed like every time I open a package from CGC it contained only 5.5s & 8.5s. that was really frustrating.

Makes me want to send in my X.5 books for regrading lol

yeah but when I grade Im grading the book in front of me too, and using all grades -- independent of each other… a 7.5 is a 7.5, an 8.0 is an 8.0… I don't see how theres a bias for whole numbers. Maybe they should use letter grades! theres no even/odd bias possible.

(thats not a serious suggestion at this point. )

Well...it looks like Tales to Astonish 27 wins the "scarcity" battle when it comes to slabbed Marvel keys. Of course, there are going to be raw copies of these books out there, but still...this data is not without meaning.

So...the question is, how many people out there have raw copies of any one of these books in their collection? (I personally have a raw FF1 in ~0.5...about all it has going for it is that it's complete).

Also, in the case of TTA 27, dare I say that I don't think the Ant-Man really rates when compared "popularity wise" with the other characters represented on the graph?!?! (Looking for but can't find the emoticon with the guy behind the brick wall!)

Anyway...here it is. The graph is getting a little crowded now:

Marvel_Silver_Keys_2.jpg

sundrycollect, thanks for adding A1 & TTA27. I had a feeling that TTA27 was the least graded CGC book of Marvel keys, but like you said, it's also the least popular super hero of Marvel's A & B list characters. Perhaps when the movie is released, we'll see a large spike in TTA27 gradings.