• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Silver Age Keys - CGC Data

25 posts in this topic

that is so odd that half grades consistently drop down! I think we would all have expected that CGC grades in a continuum of grades, each a marginally better book, and that the data would not show a zigzag pattern that is so obvious!

Seems a psychological "barrier" that develops in the graders…that favors round numbers over half steps... or something… but it makes no sense. 7.5 and 8.5 are real grades, and should NOT have far fewer copies than 7.0. 8.0, respectively.

any ideas?

The same "psychological barrier" applies to us buyers too. I have seen many whole grades sell for higher money than the half grades above them. It doesn't make any sense.

Well...it looks like Tales to Astonish 27 wins the "scarcity" battle when it comes to slabbed Marvel keys. Of course, there are going to be raw copies of these books out there, but still...this data is not without meaning.

So...the question is, how many people out there have raw copies of any one of these books in their collection? (I personally have a raw FF1 in ~0.5...about all it has going for it is that it's complete).

Also, in the case of TTA 27, dare I say that I don't think the Ant-Man really rates when compared "popularity wise" with the other characters represented on the graph?!?! (Looking for but can't find the emoticon with the guy behind the brick wall!)

Anyway...here it is. The graph is getting a little crowded now:

Marvel_Silver_Keys_2.jpg

I know it's crowded but I would love to see ST 110 & DD 1 added to this chart too.

btw.... TTA 27 got screwed on the half grades too.

that is so odd that half grades consistently drop down! I think we would all have expected that CGC grades in a continuum of grades, each a marginally better book, and that the data would not show a zigzag pattern that is so obvious!

Seems a psychological "barrier" that develops in the graders…that favors round numbers over half steps... or something… but it makes no sense. 7.5 and 8.5 are real grades, and should NOT have far fewer copies than 7.0. 8.0, respectively.

any ideas?

The same "psychological barrier" applies to us buyers too. I have seen many whole grades sell for higher money than the half grades above them. It doesn't make any sense.

Interesting theory, and I'm trying to think if there is any detriment ...

Maybe an argument for a letter-based grading system (A, B, C etc) - I do believe there are 26 grades including NG)

Anyone out there prefer to own a 6.0 over a 6.5?

I have also wondered if people prefer VF+ over NM-, because the second of these two grades has a negative-connotation "minus" in it...

Probably less of an issue as people increasingly refer to number grades only...

I have also wondered if people prefer VF+ over NM-, because the second of these two grades has a negative-connotation "minus" in it...

When CGC made the label change to numbers only, this was one of the reasons given.

I just did universal copies only...seemed easier to present the data that way. I will add Avengers one to the other chart. In the mean time...I was able to throw this chart fo DC keys together pretty quickly (again...universal data only)...I will likely blog on this sometime this week...some surprising observations here...and some not so surprising.

DC_Silver_Keys.jpg

Interesting that the SC8 2 highest graded are three grades higher than the second highest graded.