• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay buyer expectation

21 posts in this topic

You submit an offer to me that is accepted by me.

After accepting the offer you email me wanting to discuss the purchase.

You want to do the transaction off ebay to save yourself money.

How much money would you expect to save?

Ebay fees only?

Ebay/paypal fees?

Should you be upset if I don't agree with your terms or I would want to share in your savings since this is no longer an ebay transaction?

If I was the seller I would refuse to do the transaction off eBay, unless I was first contacted outside of eBay. Wouldn't risk my account just to save transaction fees.

If I did agree with a buyer to conduct a transaction outside of eBay I don't know why the buyer would expect a discount any larger than what I am saving in eBay fees. As long as Paypal is still being used, that fee should still be accounted for.

You submit an offer to me that is accepted by me.

After accepting the offer you email me wanting to discuss the purchase.

You want to do the transaction off ebay to save yourself money.

How much money would you expect to save?

Ebay fees only?

Ebay/paypal fees?

Should you be upset if I don't agree with your terms or I would want to share in your savings since this is no longer an ebay transaction?

Maybe.... maybe there is the off chance that they realized they could save more if it was done off eBay after they had already made the offer? How much of a savings are we talking about if it were handled off line?

It is such a risky game nowadays on eBay. On one hand if you go one with his request you are still protected by paypal. On the other side though now by refusing his request, the buyer could be pain in the rear if he does not get his way and find some fault with the transaction.

I have not purchased from you over eBay, only here. Do you at least tell them about your website once they have made a transaction over eBay and they send paypal payment. You could always make mention of that for future reference.

Buyer agrees to purchase on ebay with best offer its done no matter what. Pay me and we can move on.

Buyer emails before Ebay negotiations and we can talk.

+1

To do otherwise reeks of a lack of integrity and I instantly no longer want anything to do with the buyer. It is Ebay after all where all that matters is ones integrity/ honesty/ feedback rating.

I'd expect at least 10% off the Ebay price, but I generally go for 15-20% on higher dollar items or multiples. I figure the more I buy, the better the discount.

I'm surprised someone pulls the pin, then asks - that's not a very good negotiating tactic. I ask about an off-Ebay sale beforehand, and it's usually when it involves two or three items and it's just WAY easier to pay via Paypal for everything rather than have them cancel, relist, BIN and all that.

I'm not really trying to screw Ebay, I'm trying to save myself the hassle. If a seller doesn't want to go outside, that's fine, too - I've got no problems with that. I figure some sellers are worth asking about and discussing via email (not Ebay PM) - but always beforehand.

I'd expect at least 10% off the Ebay price, but I generally go for 15-20% on higher dollar items or multiples. I figure the more I buy, the better the discount.
I bought an infinite number of comics from this one seller, so he charged me absolutely nothing! He was going to send them once he pulled and packed all of them. I'm still waiting.

I'd stay away. You don't want to open yourself up for punitive action by the ebay po-po.

Nothing makes con season less fun than having a limited ebay seller account....

I think Bob does well enough with his own website and all the cons he attends, to survive a "wrist slap" from e-bay. :insane:

Surely he should learn his lesson that going to you direct in future will result in savings - never ceases to amaze me why people buy from some of the world's biggest dealers on eBay without bothering to Google them first to see if they have their own site - why do so many people think ebay is the only game in town, and insist on making more and more money for one of the world's already largest companies ?

Surely he should learn his lesson that going to you direct in future will result in savings - never ceases to amaze me why people buy from some of the world's biggest dealers on eBay without bothering to Google them first to see if they have their own site - why do so many people think ebay is the only game in town, and insist on making more and more money for one of the world's already largest companies ?

Ebay and Amazon are my first stops for buying anything online. I can check availability, reviews, and shopping with both earns us rewards (and we are Amazon Prime members). It's probably just habitual for people to look there first - but if I find something from one of the bigger sellers, I tend to contact them outside Ebay to see if I can get a better deal.