• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Adventures 11 1st Furry Beasty

20 posts in this topic

I used to think my copy of this issue was defective, having what looks like a smear by the letter B in Beast and The Beast's finger. It's a perfect looking book other-wise. Until i noticed a friend's copy has the lame smear, looking online you can see it on this book as well.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AMAZING-ADVENTURES-11-1ST-FURRY-BEAST-ORIGIN-/121253556141?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1c3b466fad

Yep, there are a lot of defective copies of that book out there, similar to DD 168.

Not all of them have it (though a lot of them for sale do :insane:), and I'm not sure how CGC downgrades for the flaw, though they probably limit its top grade.

That roller smudge, as it is commonly referred to is VERY common on AA 11, in fact I think there are far more copies with the smudge than there are without it.

Here is my slabbed copy and it exhibits the smudge as well. I'm not sure what they downgrade for it. Might be only in the 9.6-9.8 range, BronzeBruce can probably give you the entire low down on this book as it is/was his area of expertise - he may already have if you try the search function, I know the roller smudge has been discussed before.

AmazingAdv11.jpg

I used to think my copy of this issue was defective, having what looks like a smear by the letter B in Beast and The Beast's finger. It's a perfect looking book other-wise. Until i noticed a friend's copy has the lame smear, looking online you can see it on this book as well.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AMAZING-ADVENTURES-11-1ST-FURRY-BEAST-ORIGIN-/121253556141?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1c3b466fad

Oh, pretty amusing this copy is graded 9.0 but would come back in a 6.5 - 7.0 slab IMO. :grin:

Oh, pretty amusing this copy is graded 9.0 but would come back in a 6.5 - 7.0 slab IMO. :grin:

Actually, it's a 9.0 in the details, but 9.4 in the sub-title.

That book has a seriously long crease on the vertical spine and lots of other damage - I'd say 6.0, maybe 6.5.

i must have not look at enough DD 168 because I didn't realize there was a common production flaw there....interesting.

Look for ugly black streaks through the lightning behind Elektra and near the top of the billy club. Most of the copies on eBay, raw and CGC, have some level of it.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$(KGrHqF,!oMFILv7NBkCBSDvTVJFmg~~60_57.JPG

Actually, it's a 9.0 in the details, but 9.4 in the sub-title.

That book has a seriously long crease on the vertical spine and lots of other damage - I'd say 6.0, maybe 6.5.

Ya Vince I was being a tad kind, the spider creases to the spine are ear marks of a book in the Fine range.

That roller smudge, as it is commonly referred to is VERY common on AA 11, in fact I think there are far more copies with the smudge than there are without it.

Here is my slabbed copy and it exhibits the smudge as well. I'm not sure what they downgrade for it. Might be only in the 9.6-9.8 range, BronzeBruce can probably give you the entire low down on this book as it is/was his area of expertise - he may already have if you try the search function, I know the roller smudge has been discussed before.

AmazingAdv11.jpg

Killer copy! This is one bronze key I'm missing. Glad to know about the smudge - thanks!

AmazingAdv11.jpg

Killer copy! This is one bronze key I'm missing. Glad to know about the smudge - thanks!

I think the smudge is evident on most of the print run, it seems to me that it was one of those things they did not catch in the test printing phase. Of course there are copies where the smudge is more or less prevalent, I will see if I can dig up a scan of a 9.6 copy but I'm better that the smudge is there.

Can someone please clarify something for me? I thought production flaws don't factor into cgc's grading. Or are there certain defects they'll overlook, and some that result in a knock on the grade?

Can someone please clarify something for me? I thought production flaws don't factor into cgc's grading. Or are there certain defects they'll overlook, and some that result in a knock on the grade?

CGC is all over the place, but they've stated that it won't affect a 9.4, but in 9.6-10.0 grades, production defects *may* otherwise limit the top grade of a given book.

I have no idea if this is still in effect, as there has been so much turnover at CGC. (shrug)

CGC is all over the place, but they've stated that it won't affect a 9.4, but in 9.6-10.0 grades, production defects *may* otherwise limit the top grade of a given book.

I have no idea if this is still in effect, as there has been so much turnover at CGC. (shrug)

Thanks JC. If true, that's frustrating. Then again, cgc has never been transparent with their grading criteria, have they?

:sorry:

That's a good summary of the policy Vince, but I think most of us threw it out the door after seeing some of the 9.8s with wraps so bad they looked like psychedelic copies.

I have a GSX1 in 9.4 that has grabber tears at the bottom edge that I am certain was downgraded for that defect. Ink over spray will knock a book down.

I think there is a 9.8 AA #11 in the census, interesting to see if the roller smudge is there, I bet it is.

That's a good summary of the policy Vince, but I think most of us threw it out the door after seeing some of the 9.8s with wraps so bad they looked like psychedelic copies.

I have a GSX1 in 9.4 that has grabber tears at the bottom edge that I am certain was downgraded for that defect. Ink over spray will knock a book down.

I think there is a 9.8 AA #11 in the census, interesting to see if the roller smudge is there, I bet it is.

Terrible wraps in 9.8 slabs are exactly what I was thinking about. Since they don't usually affect the structure of the book, I can see why they don't get knocked down on the grading scale. But, smudges or overspray don't affect the structure of the book, either. I can understand printing creases, grabber tears, etc. only because those are defects that mar the paper. Interesting stuff, thanks for the input guys. (thumbs u