• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old time reader, but CGC Novice... help?

5 posts in this topic

I've been reading comics for over 30 years now and having been aware and taking note of grading for some time now as well. I had considered myself a pretty solid grader, but seeing volumes of CGC graded books at cons have me curious. I see higher graded books that are very nice in respect to their spines, covers etc, but have noticed that quite often they appear to have yellowed pages within.

Can someone please fill me in on whether this is simply my imagination or if the yellowing is allowed for older books? Maybe some idea of what certain grades allow? Any scans of a few different grades would be really appreciated, if anyone is able to do so.

*My buddy's widow gave me his collection to sell for her and I'm considering bringing a handful of them to a convention to be CGC'd, but am reluctant to do so without having a general idea of what to expect. Again, good books, with tanned pages.*

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Fred

Get yourself a copy of the Overstreet Graing Guide (2nd Edition). This will help you gauge what "page colors" are acceptable in what grades.

I think it's safe to say that the less white the pages are, the more likely the page quality will affect grade. But CGC essentially 'ranks' these attributes separately for the most part. You can have a 9.4 comic with tan pages, particularly if the book in question is 60 years old.

You should post scans of a few of the books, ideally including scans of one interior page per book, on this board and we'll provide some more detailed and specific feedback.

Fred - Here's a link to Amazon.com - Just search "Overstreet" and both the current Price guide and Grading guide will come up at the top of the list - Buy'em both and get free shipping! A great deal if you ask me . . .

Amazon.com

hi.gif