• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

35 cent variant Faux Pas-WHO BROKE THE RULES

38 posts in this topic

Books were part of a collection I got in July about 30 miles west of Nashville, Tn. I actually bought them for the runs of Marvel titles. X-men 94-230 with 2 issues each of the 94-105. I had no idea there were 35 cent variants in these, until I listed the Spectacular Spiderman lot on Ebay. Suddenly I get all of these questions about them and the bids started going way above the listed value in Overstreet. This made me worry that I had not described them correctly or I had something that was different than what I thought. I had never looked at variants before and had no idea they were worth more than the overstreet guide had them. Well, I combed back over this collection adn pulled out a total of 74 different 35 cent variants. I was quite surprised. I have had these books for 4 months and didnt realize what I had. The books themselves range from 7.0-9.4 probably. Some are flawless while others look a little worse. None are lower than FN+/VF-. The Thor, Avengers, Iron Man are all really nice 9.0 or better. Maybe I can figure out how to scan and post some in the near future.

Books were part of a collection I got in July about 30 miles west of Nashville, Tn. I actually bought them for the runs of Marvel titles. X-men 94-230 with 2 issues each of the 94-105. I had no idea there were 35 cent variants in these, until I listed the Spectacular Spiderman lot on Ebay. Suddenly I get all of these questions about them and the bids started going way above the listed value in Overstreet. This made me worry that I had not described them correctly or I had something that was different than what I thought. I had never looked at variants before and had no idea they were worth more than the overstreet guide had them. Well, I combed back over this collection adn pulled out a total of 74 different 35 cent variants. I was quite surprised. I have had these books for 4 months and didnt realize what I had. The books themselves range from 7.0-9.4 probably. Some are flawless while others look a little worse. None are lower than FN+/VF-. The Thor, Avengers, Iron Man are all really nice 9.0 or better. Maybe I can figure out how to scan and post some in the near future.

That's very interesting - I found a cache of 35 centers in June about 30 miles west of Nashville. Maybe instead of Memphis, as we've always thought, Nashville was the test market. That would also explain the high number of 35 centers found in Alabama. Strange things afoot in Variant Land!

30 centers:

Baltimore

Grand Rapids, Michigan

San Antonio

Albuququeruerqerqradsgasdgqre. New Mexico

San Joses, California

one more that I'm bleeeeming on

35 centers - there is some discussion on this. I believe these cities:

Memphis

Wilmington, NC

Xenia/Zanesville, Ohio

Pascagoula, MS

Some place in Oregon

others? Terry and Harry know WAY more about 35 cetners than I do.

These were all probably bought out of "The Great Escape", there were many price stickers from there on a lot of the books. This guy I got them from said he got most of his books there. I figure Nashville was probably one of these test sites.

thumbsup2.gif That's where I found a batch in June! The Great Escape in Gallatin!

30 centers:

Baltimore

Grand Rapids, Michigan

San Antonio

San Joses, California

Memphis

Wilmington, NC

Xenia/Zanesville, Ohio

Pascagoula, MS

Some place in Oregon

Thanks F-D!

Hmmmm, I'm going to be in Western PA over Thanksgiving, perhaps a roadtrip to Xenia/Zanesville, OH that Saturday? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Would a trip to some LCS's in that area yield positive results or has someone gone before and strip-mined? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Memphis

Wilmington, NC

Xenia/Zanesville, Ohio

Pascagoula, MS

Some place in Oregon

confused-smiley-013.gifI have been trying to figure out the 35 cent distribution city's but I still only have 4 locations and I not %100 that their correct like Memphis I assumed it was because of that Letter that Donut posted on hear a while back but in the last two years almost all the 35 cent variants from TN. have been comming from just west of Nashville I guess it is possible that they still came from Memphis it would be nice to hear from a orginal owner where they came from. hear are the locations I have.

1. Toledo OH.

2. Memphis TN.

3. Wilmington NC.

4. Tuscaloosa AL.

5. ? probably out west some where maybe Oregon like Donut said?

If anyone knows any others I would sure like to hear what they have to say gossip.gif

Toledo, OH? foreheadslap.gif

I just looked on a map: Toledo is extreme northwest corner of state, on Lake Erie; Xenia is just above Cincinnati, the southwest corner of the state, and Zanesville is about 30 miles due east of Columbus which is in the south-central portion of the state.

Am I supposed to draw intersecting lines and triangulate a position to see where I'm supposed to search? tonofbricks.gif Or is this part of the Variant Club rules?

When I was doing some searching on some old threads here, I believe Silverandbronze suggested in a post that NE Ohio/Western PA was a possible location, and maybe someone mentioned Bowling Green, OH (which, I just looked on a map, is right below Toledo 893scratchchin-thumb.gif) ring any bells?

hi.gif mrwoogieman I am very sure Toledo OH. was a Test City as I have bought a lot from a guy who claims he bought them new their back in 1977 and besides that their have been a whole lot comming form their includeing those 200+ Earl Shaw had I would also say it is possible that Bowling Green could have been supplied by the same distributer since it is so close and may have got them also but not sure about that 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Hope this helps you find some.

hi.gif mrwoogieman I am very sure Toledo OH. was a Test City as I have bought a lot from a guy who claims he bought them new their back in 1977 and besides that their have been a whole lot comming form their includeing those 200+ Earl Shaw had I would also say it is possible that Bowling Green could have been supplied by the same distributer since it is so close and may have got them also but not sure about that 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Hope this helps you find some.

Thanks, but if its Toledo or bust, I guess it's bust since that's about 200 miles from where I'll be. Oh well. I'll keep the list handy though.

30 centers:

Baltimore

Grand Rapids, Michigan

San Antonio

San Joses, California

Memphis

Wilmington, NC

Xenia/Zanesville, Ohio

Pascagoula, MS

Some place in Oregon

You missed:

30 centers: Springfield, MA

35 center: some place in GA (can't pinpoint it, just know the 33 I got in from one collection came from there.

I think it's becoming obvious that there's a lot more of these than anyone ever thought.

30 centers:

Baltimore

Grand Rapids, Michigan

San Antonio

San Joses, California

Memphis

Wilmington, NC

Xenia/Zanesville, Ohio

Pascagoula, MS

Some place in Oregon