• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The OFFICIAL Foreign Copper Thread!

158 posts in this topic

But, as this is a US message board for a US company, and 99.99% of the members here read and are only interested in English language comic books (US, Canada, UK, etc.), it would be nice to not have to see foreign editions in many other threads, especially touted as "the rarest books that exist" every time they are mentioned (which isn't always true.)

We are strictly talking of foreign editions of comic books series, I guess, and not about foreign comics.

Because "comic books" are not comics, are just an editiorial format of comics, among an inifinite number of others.

Said this, I understand this is an opinion of yours, and while it is understandable that you may find what you mention annoying, I think the point is the one I underlined in bold from your post: it does not make sense to compare a foreign edition of a certain comic book title, to an original edition, in terms of "scarcity" or "collectability": they are based on a different collecting interest.

So, if you say someone should not pop up in a discussion about original editions and show a foreign edition with this intent, I surely agree.

But nonetheless you worded your opinion poorly, and it sounds a bit presumptuous. :)

My personal choice have been to drop entirely the collecting of books in my own language (italian) in favor of original editions so many years ago, but what surprised me (at large) when I arrived here is the "narrow-mindedness" of most american collectors about the format of the comic book: while I understand the comic book have been the leading format for the medium since 1938, it does not make any sense to identify comics with a specific publishing formal.

The position of those which collect comic books alone, and – say – not comic magazines, in terms of content, let it be said without any offense, borders the ridiculous.

To get back to your original post in its own intent, there are many cases: this is an example of something that I must and should feel free to post in any thread as it is:

– a Disney comic (in journal format);

– an original edition (as it contains material of italian production published for the first time here);

– it witnesses the birth of our school of Disney comics authors, which has been for over 40 years the most renowned in the whole world… and in a few issues the title would have closed to be transformed into its pocket sized version, a title which just reached issue 3000, and whose content has been exported basically EVERWHERE, unless in the USA (up to 1986, when Gladstone finally managed to present some of the material there);

– a collectible of interest to any serious Disney collector worldwide (not only english speaking);

– OK, it’s not CGC-able. :sorry:

vb8VOUZh.jpg

Again, do not take it as an offense, but while one should and must collect what he wants/feel important to collect, a post like yours, if taken the wrong way (and it is almost unavoidable, as the choice of words is poor) is precisely the reason for which people develop a narrow-minded attitude towards collecting.

I’m not saying you meant this, because in the end I think you are right, but as you wrote it… it just does not work. (thumbs u

My response would have been "Oh, no, not at all! It was really born out of frustration with a member who was spamming the forum, and wouldn't take the suggestion when asked to stop. I am a collector of foreign editions myself, and would never suggest that English comics are inherently superior to others.

My apologies to anyone who took it that way, it was certainly not intended."

And that would have been the end of it. No fuss. No muss.

That’s what I meant. I was quite sure it was unintended, and that the point was the one I mentioned, but really, since you started by saying "Foreign books are interesting" one can only imagine you are referring to foreign editions of comic book titles, and with that specific criticism in mind.

While I understand "collecting comics" in the USA mostly means collecting the specific publishing format of the comic book it nonetheless remains ambiguous.

The main reason: like it or not, english has become THE international language of choice, or at least one of the most used.

I recently subscribed to a french comics forum, and since I don’t know french, I tried to speak english, and we can communicate. But we aren’t talking about comic books, and the two things aren’t separated at all in my mind, because we are talking of comics I collect as much as the Fantastic Four or National Comics. (thumbs u

Foreign books are interesting.

Some of them are even pretty neat.

But, as this is a US message board for a US company, and 99.99% of the members here read and are only interested in English language comic books (US, Canada, UK, etc.), it would be nice to not have to see foreign editions in many other threads, especially touted as "the rarest books that exist" every time they are mentioned (which isn't always true.)

Foreign editions in those threads are most decidedly "off-topic." Please do try to keep the other threads clean.

So...in that vein, it would be nice to focus the foreign books in a specific thread, for those who appreciate them to admire, and those who don't need not click.

Post away, gents!

Ill get to the jingoistic, US-centric aspects in a second

A couple points though, to say that a foreign reprint/version/edition/variant version of a specific comic book is not relevant to the conversation of said book is an opinion. A wrong opinion in my humble opinion but they are all opinions. The fact is you nor anybody else has the right to dictate where and how someone decides to post. Thats the mods job correct? I dont like lots of stuff people post. I can choose to ignore it or put the poster on my ignore list.

99% uh? You could be right but Id bet you would be surprised how many members are from other countries. Right off the top of my head I can think of at least 7 members who post regularly who are from other countries and I am sure there are many many more. Now many of them are here to discuss American books, but to tell one of those foreign members that they have a thread where their countries versions of books are welcome is to be quite honest extremely ignorant on the low end and highly discriminatory/ethnocentric on the high end. A foreign version of a book has just as much right to be included in the discussion as the difference between a 9.0 and a 9.8.

Does CGC only slab American books? No, then that means its a company that at least on the surface is welcoming to customers and business from all countries. Using this logic, this clearly means they are a American company which does business internationally. If the forums here are an extension of that business model then it only makes sense that the idea of pigeonholing its foreign visitors and their content into any specific thread is wrong.

I can hear you now but your not foreign youre an American! Doesnt matter, my interest in foreign comics does not change the fact that forcing me to post a foreign version of any book into a specific thread is the same as forcing someone from said country to do the same.

Another point you cant read books inside CGC cases either so your language point is moot. Not being able to read something has no bearing whatsoever on relevancy.

I have no problem creating a thread to highlight foreigns and foreign collecting specifically. In fact I am the creator of the thread in comic general. But the truth is this thread is your attempt to marginalize a member you have a problem with.

Newsflash, thats your problem.. not mine. I will post foreign versions of books in whatever thread I choose. Its the mods choice to decide if its off-topic or not. And here is the funny part. If they do decide it is off-topic then that says something very interesting about CGC doesnt it.

Just a quick response; I can expand if you're interested.

You have taken something personally that is not personal. You have made several incorrect assumptions. That the majority of this board is interested only in English speaking comics does not therefore mean that foreign comics are despised, scorned, and unwelcome. No one is dictating to anyone, nor telling anyone what they can, and cannot, post, because only the board moderators can do that.

It is about balance. Nothing more, and nothing less.

The majority of the board is not interested in Strawberry Shortcake comics. If someone was to spam their Strawberry Shortcake comics in every thread, posting an "OFFICIAL Strawberry Shortcake thread" would not therefore be anti-Strawberry Shortcake. A place for everything, and everything in its place.

As far as "marginalizing" anyone: Solarcadet1 is a member of this board's Hall of Shame. Being put on this list is no small feat. As an example of one of your incorrect assumptions: I do not have anything *personally* against Solarcadet1.

Like I said, I'll be happy to expand these thoughts if you're truly interested in dialogue and understanding (and this is not a putdown, either. I mean that sincerely.)

You know maybe I chose language that was to strong. Dictate is a strong word. Maybe instead I should have used the wording of nicely asking?

Yes please expand, I need further clarity on your statements. Like.

These words here.

it would be nice to not have to see foreign editions in many other threads

I understand what it is like to be annoyed when you see something for the umpteenth time. It blows, I get it.. but the last thing I would do is nicely ask those that post the stuff I am not interested in to put it somewhere else. I would probably get my fill of their junk and then block or hide the user. Especially if in order to make a statement about a member who I didnt agree with.. I was to nicely ask everyone that posted similar content to refrain from posting in the threads I frequented.

I'm not sure what needs to be clarified there. It would be nice not to see foreign editions in many other threads. Unless, of course, you were just being sarcastic...?

Sarcasm isn't the road to understanding. :(

But I would ask for clarification about your statement here: "Especially if in order to make a statement about a member who I didn't agree with."

As I said before, this thread was not a "statement about a member who I don't agree with" (whatever that means. What don't I agree with them about? Do you mean "don't like?" As I already said, I have nothing *personally* against Solarcadet1.)

This thread was to focus...like every other thread...on to this specific topic. I was not making a statement about a member per se, which is why the member's name does not appear in the original post.

This should not be controversial. Threads are spun out of other threads, to keep those threads clean of off-topic posting, all the time.

It was prompted by another member spamming many other threads, yes. But so what?

Or clarify your statements here..

Foreign editions in those threads are most decidedly "off-topic." Please do try to keep the other threads clean.

Again, not sure what you need clarifying. The threads in question kept being spammed with pictures of foreign editions, and brazenly touting that they were "the rarest examples of all" nearly, if not every, time.

Keeping threads clean of off-topic posting is controversial...?

If we're discussing later printings of comics...a very specific topic...then foreign editions are, by nature, off-topic. They are not later printings...they are foreign. Not sure why the misunderstanding here exists.

Again, not even discussing the poor choice of words your strawberry shortcake argument is confusing to me. Strawberry shortcake has nothing to do with Iron man. But a foreign version of Iron man does have something to do with Iron man does it not? If one is discussing more specific things then its up to the poster to decide if his information is relevant.

Well, here, I can do the exact same thing you just did: Strawberry Shortcake has nothing to do with Iron Man? On the contrary, Strawberry Shortcake is also a comic book. It was published by Marvel. It is a Copper Age series.

And...if we're specifically talking about later printings, and Strawberry Shortcake just happens to have a later printing in the run....it is vastly more relevant in that specific instance than a foreign edition of Iron Man.

Just for fun lets say a thread is a like a conversation though limited as it may be to an actual conversation between multiple people but a conversation none the less. If the conversation were about a specific comic, a type, market value, comics rarity, purpose, creation whatever how is it that a foreign version of the same comic story arc, cover art, meaning, or creative process though seen thru the lens of a different language or publisher but basically claims its lineage from the original American book not relevant to the conversation? Relevancy is up to the participants and the person offering his angle to the conversation.

I do not disagree with any of this, up to a point.

Solarcadet1 crossed that point, multiple times, in multiple threads.

Now if the conversations participants dont think it relates then thats fine. What so often happens is when groups of people are discussing things the other participants in the convo just ignore the statements of the other conversationalist.

I do not disagree with any of this, either.

But everything has a context, and you seem unfamiliar with that context. You're describing scenarios that are not relevant in this case.

I understand that, and when I try adding my 2 cents to conversations and no one is interested in I usually get the hint and shut up! But thats up to me to get the hint right?

Except, of course, that wasn't what happened, or was happening.

Now, the difference is when someone in the group convo tells me very politely that what I have to say has no meaning on their conversation and to go talk with those people over there and go away. Well you see, that is your right, and my right is to judge you politely but appropriately.

Except, you see, that when everyone is politely asking you to please stop posting your irrelevant examples in every single thread, then you should probably do that. You see?

Revat is right, when you make blanket statements and opinions that affect the posting behavior of whole groups of collectors however small because you have a problem with another member actions. Well, thats not very well though out..

In your opinion. I'm not quite sure what "blanket statements" you think I made.

Which statement of the original post is incorrect...?

Because it is both you and Revat who have expanded the very narrow and specific reason why this thread exists (Solarcadet1s spamming of so many threads with his foreign editions, about which he was asked to stop, and refused) and expanded it up into a "blanket statement" about condemning ALL foreign editions posted anywhere at any time for any reason. And that's not the case, and never was.

This thread is specifically about COPPER foreign editions. Even still, focus is narrowed.

And... "statements and opinions that affect the posting behavior of whole groups of collectors"...?

You said that no one can control what you post except the moderators.

*I* said that no one can control what you post except the moderators.

I don't understand, then, how it is possible that anyone can "affect" the "posting behavior" of anyone else, outside of plain ol' peer pressure?

Or do you think peer pressure is bad? Because other than influence, NO ONE can "affect" the posting behavior of ANYONE outside of the moderators.

And you know I do agree with much of what you are saying. Solarcadet did a good enough job marginalizing himself. But, when you say that about 70% of the content that I post doesnt belong in your average thread discussion here at the boards because you are tired of looking at it How could I not take that personally.

Easily. Because it wasn't offensive, nor was it intended to be.

And the offender had been asked, multiple times, by multiple people, to politely cut it out. He refused.

If I was continually posting pictures of Batman comics in every thread in Copper, and someone started a Batman specific thread in response, why would I be offended? Unless I was purposely TRYING to cause trouble, I could easily just go into the Batman thread and post all the pictures of Batman comics I wanted.

Because here's the hard truth, which you may not like: 70% of the content you post doesn't belong in your average thread discussion. 70% of the content that *I* post doesn't belong in your average thread discussion. In fact, 98% of what I post doesn't belong in your average thread discussions, because it is not the topic being discussed.

Again, not sure why this is so controversial.

Threads (and forum, and sub-forums) have titles for a reason.

Are you offended when people's off-topic threads are moved from Comics General to the Water Cooler? If not, why not?

Unless, maybe im getting it wrong? Clarify for me again why my Greek Iron man55 doesnt belong in the Bronze age IM55 thread in Bronze? Or what about the Spawn thread here in copper. Tell me why my very large foreign Spawn #1 collection has no place in the Spawn#1 thread? Is it because you cant read it? Is it because you dont like it? Or is it because your not interested in it?

Nope.

But Solarcadet1's greek reprints, in a thread about later printing variants, does NOT have a place in that thread, because it is not a later printing variant.

Does this thread prevent you from posting any pictures of foreign editions you like, anywhere you like? A resounding NO. But if you continually spam your foreign edition pictures in threads that are MARGINALLY related, or not related at all, you might actually have someone tell you that THIS thread exists, and it might be more relevant HERE.

Again....not sure why all this is so controversial.

I can meet you half way here. I can agree that maybe I took your post to personally but can you agree that maybe you used a poor choice of words? (shrug)

No. I choose my words on this forum very, very, VERY carefully, and make sure that everything I say is what I mean, at all times.

But....

I will freely concede you this, as I already did: there was no anti-foreign subtext intended in my statement, so if you saw that, I apologize. That is not what was intended.

Fair enough?

It all comes down to balance. No one...truly...minds the occasional foreign edition here or there. No one is saying anyone can't post what they want, when they want, and where they want. But it went overboard, and was getting to the point of silliness, and a thread devoted to the theme could have addressed the issue quite nicely.

And this can still be a nice place to focus on foreign copper...n'est-ce pas?

;)

Foreign books are interesting.

Some of them are even pretty neat.

So...in that vein, it would be nice to focus the foreign books in a specific thread, for those who appreciate them to admire, and those who don't need not click.

Post away, gents!

Ill get to the jingoistic, US-centric aspects in a second…

A couple points though, to say that a foreign reprint/version/edition/variant version of a specific comic book is not relevant to the conversation of said book is an opinion. A wrong opinion in my humble opinion… but they are all opinions. The fact is you nor anybody else has the right to dictate where and how someone decides to post. That’s the mods job correct? I don’t like lots of stuff people post…. I can choose to ignore it or put the poster on my ignore list.

99% uh? You could be right but Id bet you would be surprised how many members are from other countries. Right off the top of my head I can think of at least 7 members who post regularly who are from other countries and I am sure there are many many more. Now many of them are here to discuss American books, but to tell one of those foreign members that they have a thread where their countries versions of books are welcome is to be quite honest extremely ignorant on the low end and highly discriminatory/ethnocentric on the high end…. A foreign version of a book has just as much right to be included in the discussion as the difference between a 9.0 and a 9.8.

Does CGC only slab American books? No, then that means it’s a company that at least on the surface is welcoming to customers and business from all countries. Using this logic, this clearly means they are a American company which does business internationally. If the forums here are an extension of that business model then it only makes sense that the idea of pigeonholing its foreign visitors and their content into any specific thread is wrong.

I can hear you now… “but your not foreign you’re an American!” Doesn’t matter, my interest in foreign comics does not change the fact that forcing me to post a foreign version of any book into a specific thread is the same as forcing someone from said country to do the same.

Another point… you cant read books inside CGC cases either… so your language point is moot…. Not being able to read something has no bearing whatsoever on relevancy.

I have no problem creating a thread to highlight foreigns and foreign collecting specifically. In fact I am the creator of the thread in comic general. But the truth is this thread is your attempt to marginalize a member you have a problem with.

Newsflash, thats your problem….. not mine. I will post foreign versions of books in whatever thread I choose. It’s the mods choice to decide if its “off-topic” or not. And here is the funny part…. If they do decide it is “off-topic” then that says something very interesting about CGC doesn’t it.

:applause: Except you should have finished your post with "suck it".

I have to side with RMA in support of the creation of this thread. I think the issue is the assumption that the existence of this thread specific to CA foreigns is somehow barring their inclusion on other (relevant) parts of the site, such as This Week In Your Collection.

I have no quarrel with any one person, but it is a fact that there has been foreign books posted in threads that are focused on something completely different, thus corrupting the original discussion.

An example I can think of is the Marvel 2nd print thread. Foreigns may be correlated to the topic, but it's not a thread to show off foreigns specifically. At most, they deserve the occasional mention.

I don't think RMA was out of line for creating the thread, and in fact, I see this as a positive step forward for the foreign edition collecting community on this forum.

I think when I read the OP, I read it as

"Because CGC is an American company, because the forums are US based, and because 99.9% of us like only English comics, they foreign comics should ONLY be posted about and discussed in threads specifically related to foreign comics."

I was under the impression that you misspoke (or worded improperly) because I didn't think anyone who likes foreign comics (or anyone) would want to say something that sounds so condescending, judgmental, and xenophobic. Maybe it was only meant to condescend to one person, but to me it didn't come off that way, and I think to others as well. But as was said, the words were chosen carefully.

I would argue that when anyone includes:

This is ''Insert Nation" group, based in that 'Insert Nation', and 99.9% of the people only care about 'blank' language, ....therefore lets move the foreign stuff to one confined space and keep everything else clean"

some people might take it a certain way...

But I would ask for clarification about your statement here: "Especially if in order to make a statement about a member who I didn't agree with."

As I said before, this thread was not a "statement about a member who I don't agree with" (whatever that means. What don't I agree with them about? Do you mean "don't like?" As I already said, I have nothing *personally* against Solarcadet1.)

This thread was to focus...like every other thread...on to this specific topic. I was not making a statement about a member per se, which is why the member's name does not appear in the original post.

This should not be controversial. Threads are spun out of other threads, to keep those threads clean of off-topic posting, all the time.

It was prompted by another member spamming many other threads, yes. But so what?

Easy… the impetus of this thread was prompted by another member which is pretty clear and like you said happens all the time. Im all for shining a more focused light on all foreign books in all the sub-age threads. Im all for spinning threads out from other ones…. My problem was with the language and the way I interpreted your language as being condescending to foreign books in general. If that was not your intent, then fine we can move on.

Again, not sure what you need clarifying. The threads in question kept being spammed with pictures of foreign editions, and brazenly touting that they were "the rarest examples of all" nearly, if not every, time.

Keeping threads clean of off-topic posting is controversial...?

If we're discussing later printings of comics...a very specific topic...then foreign editions are, by nature, off-topic. They are not later printings...they are foreign. Not sure why the misunderstanding here exists.

Ok I see your point here, im not going to argue this….. if spaming images willy nilly distracts from the original focused discussion than your right. It should be addressed….

Well, here, I can do the exact same thing you just did: Strawberry Shortcake has nothing to do with Iron Man? On the contrary, Strawberry Shortcake is also a comic book. It was published by Marvel. It is a Copper Age series.

And...if we're specifically talking about later printings, and Strawberry Shortcake just happens to have a later printing in the run....it is vastly more relevant in that specific instance than a foreign edition of Iron Man.

I was generalizing and speaking to the relevancy of any topic which can be seen from differing points of view. What one thinks relevant and what someone else believes is can be debated….

But I wont debate this because you have already clarified your position that this thread is a simply a place to refine focus. Which is something I cannot argue…..

I'm not quite sure what "blanket statements" you think I made.

Which statement of the original post is incorrect...?

Because it is both you and Revat who have expanded the very narrow and specific reason why this thread exists (Solarcadet1s spamming of so many threads with his foreign editions, about which he was asked to stop, and refused) and expanded it up into a "blanket statement" about condemning ALL foreign editions posted anywhere at any time for any reason. And that's not the case, and never was.

This thread is specifically about COPPER foreign editions. Even still, focus is narrowed.

And... "statements and opinions that affect the posting behavior of whole groups of collectors"...?

You said that no one can control what you post except the moderators.

*I* said that no one can control what you post except the moderators.

I don't understand, then, how it is possible that anyone can "affect" the "posting behavior" of anyone else, outside of plain ol' peer pressure?

Or do you think peer pressure is bad? Because other than influence, NO ONE can "affect" the posting behavior of ANYONE outside of the moderators.

Incorrect or bad in tone.... hm

Well, upon further reflection I do realize that the original language was more directly relating to solarcadet’s spamming….. which I understand considering the circumstances. But again I still feel as if the language could have been handled better. I could have taken some of what you said out of context on a personal level and for that I am sorry. :foryou:

To answer your question….. I do hate peer pressure actually… Going to a military high school has a way of making you hate the wishes of the status quo. But that’s my problem I understand that…..

To affect behavior is to influence it by the way…. The 2 are one in the same as far as I am concerned. Again I will reiterate, im ok with this threads existence. It was the OP language and the idea that my posts wether relevant or not to the discussion belonged in a specific part of the forum. Thats what I had a problem with. But as long as thats not the intent.... then, I do consider the beef for the most part squashed if I may use a Hip Hop reference.

Easily. Because it wasn't offensive, nor was it intended to be.

And the offender had been asked, multiple times, by multiple people, to politely cut it out. He refused.

If I was continually posting pictures of Batman comics in every thread in Copper, and someone started a Batman specific thread in response, why would I be offended? Unless I was purposely TRYING to cause trouble, I could easily just go into the Batman thread and post all the pictures of Batman comics I wanted.

Because here's the hard truth, which you may not like: 70% of the content you post doesn't belong in your average thread discussion. 70% of the content that *I* post doesn't belong in your average thread discussion. In fact, 98% of what I post doesn't belong in your average thread discussions, because it is not the topic being discussed.

Again, not sure why this is so controversial.

Threads (and forum, and sub-forums) have titles for a reason.

Are you offended when people's off-topic threads are moved from Comics General to the Water Cooler? If not, why not?

No, im not offended when I cant post in threads because I have not anything to post that is relevant. I do have a problem when I see something that appears to place limits on my behavior that are beyond the accepted norms of a forum. With clarification this seems to not be the case… so good.

I will freely concede you this, as I already did: there was no anti-foreign subtext intended in my statement, so if you saw that, I apologize. That is not what was intended.

Fair enough?

It all comes down to balance. No one...truly...minds the occasional foreign edition here or there. No one is saying anyone can't post what they want, when they want, and where they want. But it went overboard, and was getting to the point of silliness, and a thread devoted to the theme could have addressed the issue quite nicely.

And this can still be a nice place to focus on foreign copper...n'est-ce pas?

I can live with this.... :hi:

I think when I read the OP, I read it as

"Because CGC is an American company, because the forums are US based, and because 99.9% of us like only English comics, they foreign comics should ONLY be posted about and discussed in threads specifically related to foreign comics."

I was under the impression that you misspoke (or worded improperly) because I didn't think anyone who likes foreign comics (or anyone) would want to say something that sounds so condescending, judgmental, and xenophobic. Maybe it was only meant to condescend to one person, but to me it didn't come off that way, and I think to others as well. But as was said, the words were chosen carefully.

I would argue that when anyone includes:

This is ''Insert Nation" group, based in that 'Insert Nation', and 99.9% of the people only care about 'blank' language, ....therefore lets move the foreign stuff to one confined space and keep everything else clean"

some people might take it a certain way...

It might.

Then again, it might not.

It all depends on the attitude and perspective of the reader.

As I mentioned before, what you read and what I wrote were two different things.

Nothing I said was incorrect. CGC is a US company (that doesn't mean they don't deal with international material.) This is a US message board (though we certainly have many members from all over the world.) The vast majority of the people here are only interested in English language comic books, because that's the only language they speak (though they have nothing against foreign editions.)

These statements are all true. Is the truth offensive? To the easily offended, yes. Those parenthetical comments shouldn't *have* to be said for people to not jump to conclusions, yet it happened anyways. You think what I said was condescending, judgmental, and xenophobic. I think you are ultrasensitive, easily offended, and have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to things foreign on a US/North American/English board.

Are EITHER of those analyses true...? You don't know me, or you would know that I am a cosmopolitan, with a deep love of history, culture, and I am someone who has done business with the international community for a very long time. I gladly and happily do business with those my compatriots choose to reject. I am HARDLY a " 'Murican," (though I am extremely grateful to BE an American) who thinks that anybody who doesn't look, talk, and think like me is undesirable. I was born and raised in the SF Bay Area, and live in Los Angeles...HARDLY bastions of xenophobic thought.

And the real kicker is that I shouldn't have to say ANY of that for you to extend the benefit of the doubt.

meh

Your mistake was in "reading it as", without asking first if what you read it AS (rather than what was SAID) was what I meant.

It rubbed a couple people the wrong way. I'm ok with that. Lots of people say lots of things that rub me the wrong way. If I care, I inquire first. ("Did you really mean to say....?") Mostly, though, I don't, because it doesn't bother me personally if it's not personally directed at me. After all...I don't go to a French comics forum and demand that they not use any language that could possibly be construed as anti-American.

Why be offended at the truth, no matter how "indelicately" you may believe it has been said? Adding your own subtext is a guaranteed way to be offended.

We would be a lot better if we didn't shoot first, and ask questions later.

Well, upon further reflection I do realize that the original language was more directly relating to solarcadets spamming.. which I understand considering the circumstances. But again I still feel as if the language could have been handled better. I could have taken some of what you said out of context on a personal level and for that I am sorry. :foryou:

It was, and I will also grant you this: for those unfamiliar with Solarcadet1s postings, I grant that it would appear that way without context. I do make the unconscious mistake of thinking that everyone reads most everything here, so to someone unaware of what was happening, it could appear unduly harsh.

As I said...it was not my intent that anyone feel they were excluded or being insulted, and I do apologize if you took it that way.

:foryou:

I can live with this.... :hi:

Understanding has been achieved. :cloud9:

I've lost track. Are Define, Revat, and RMA meeting up at Phil's Parking Lot or ready for a group hug? ;)

Seriously though, the typed word can be one of the most misinterpreted forms of communication in existence. It's so easy to get offended and fired up. (happens to me, yes)