• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 9/9/2021 at 3:49 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I agree.  What do you think the ASM 1 should have sold for?

Well considering 9.0's are in the 6 figure range ,I was expecting it to move up at least another 100k.   There were quite a handful of books that seemed low, which was surprising as most went for record breaking numbers. I am anxious too see what Lou adds to the discussion at a latter time :P 

So ... the 9.6 AF 15 is now the "most expensive comic book ever" ... but obviously (I think?!) it's not the most valuable.  I have to imagine that there are Golden Age mega-keys that would fetch more at auction.

Let's take the top two titans of the collecting hobby:  There are 2 9.0 copies of Action #1, and for Detective #27 there is a 9.2 and an 8.5 in the census.  I think at least three of these four books, maybe all four, are now $5M books.

Do people agree?  What other specific copies of specific books do you think would fetch more than $3.6M if put up for auction today?

On 9/9/2021 at 8:37 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

So ... the 9.6 AF 15 is now the "most expensive comic book ever" ... but obviously (I think?!) it's not the most valuable.  I have to imagine that there are Golden Age mega-keys that would fetch more at auction.

Let's take the top two titans of the collecting hobby:  There are 2 9.0 copies of Action #1, and for Detective #27 there is a 9.2 and an 8.5 in the census.  I think at least three of these four books, maybe all four, are now $5M books.

Do people agree?  What other specific copies of specific books do you think would fetch more than $3.6M if put up for auction today?

The Church copy of Action #1 and the Allentown copy of Tec 27 to name a few.  

On 9/9/2021 at 9:02 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:
On 9/9/2021 at 8:40 PM, comicdonna said:

The Church copy of Action #1 and the Allentown copy of Tec 27 to name a few.  

I apologize but I don't know whether those are one of the 9.0 Acton #1s and the Detective #27 9.2 I just mentioned above.

They are neither of the books mentioned above.  They are both raw, and the action #1 is thought to be about a 9.4 and the Tec about a 9.8?  Someone will correct me if I am wrong.  

On 9/9/2021 at 9:11 PM, comicdonna said:

They are neither of the books mentioned above.  They are both raw, and the action #1 is thought to be about a 9.4 and the Tec about a 9.8?  Someone will correct me if I am wrong.  

OK, so just to be clear, what is known about these books?  Are their respective owners known?  Have there been any photos or scans taken of them?

EDIT:  I did some Googling and I found this pretty awesome article.

https://itsalljustcomics.com/the-most-valuable-comic-books-in-the-world/

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 9/9/2021 at 9:42 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

OK, so just to be clear, what is known about these books?  Are their respective owners known?  Have there been any photos or scans taken of them?

They have been seen and inspected by Steve Borock and that's the ballpark he put on it. He also inspected for resto.  The owner is "The Dentist". 

They've been seen by select dealers and more important people than me who had similar feedback to Steve. 

So there is some degree of certainty that the nicest copies of each book are currently raw.  

On 9/9/2021 at 6:42 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

EDIT:  I did some Googling and I found this pretty awesome article.

https://itsalljustcomics.com/the-most-valuable-comic-books-in-the-world/

@rob_react 

I’m going out on limb but based on the current Spiderman franchise and what has been done with his brand over  the last few years in all media and mediums there is no doubt in my mind he’s the biggest character in comics . That goes for Marvel or DC. He will continue to grow and do better than both Superman and Batman ( not knocking them at all ) but I just feel with Disney/Sony sharing and playing well together and other multiverse Spider characters being huge in their own right , this comic will continue to climb . 

To certain deep pockets the GA Tec27 or Action 1 are the comics to have based on rarity and basically launching the comic game but Spiderman has something they don’t. Can’t quite put my finger on it but he’s got it ! 

On 9/9/2021 at 11:03 PM, Subby1938 said:

I’m going out on limb but based on the current Spiderman franchise and what has been done with his brand over  the last few years in all media and mediums there is no doubt in my mind he’s the biggest character in comics . That goes for Marvel or DC. He will continue to grow and do better than both Superman and Batman ( not knocking them at all ) but I just feel with Disney/Sony sharing and playing well together and other multiverse Spider characters being huge in their own right , this comic will continue to climb . 

To certain deep pockets the GA Tec27 or Action 1 are the comics to have based on rarity and basically launching the comic game but Spiderman has something they don’t. Can’t quite put my finger on it but he’s got it ! 

Hmmm, I’ve been knowing this since ‘69 when I bought Spidey #73 in a multi mag pack at a place called Magic Mart. And we’ve been friends ever since. :blush:

On 9/10/2021 at 6:31 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I think it's pretty simple ... I'm not the world's biggest Superman or Batman fan, but I recognize both of them as truly iconic, among the very greatest heroes ever created.  However, even though one is light and one is dark, they have something in common -- they're the kind of heroes you have to appreciate from a distance.  As a reader or a fan, you stand in awe of them but you never imagine for a moment that you could be them.  And by the way, some of my absolute favorite Marvel characters are the same way.  I have always been crazy about Thor and Captain America, but they're in that same category -- you can hero-worship these characters and revel in their superhuman feats, but you can't really put yourself in their shoes.  That's why Batman, Cap, and many other heroes of the Golden Age needed boy sidekicks to tag along with them.

That's what truly sets Spider-Man apart.  Whether you're a small child or a grown adult, you can identify with Peter Parker (and now Miles Morales) in a way that you couldn't with any hero that came before.  Classic Spidey sits right on the threshold between boyhood and manhood, he struggles with the difficult moral and practical questions of being a hero in ways that his predecessors never did, and we get to see the world from his point of view, to a previously unmatched degree in superhero comics, as he grows and evolves as a character.

Spider-Man has always been the hero you could actually imagine yourself being, and that's why he's so special.

I'd like to add that the costume covers every piece of skin from head to toe.  It could be anyone (you) in there swinging around NYC

On 9/10/2021 at 12:34 PM, gadzukes said:

I think the dude is having fun knowing that many possible bidders were left high and dry when the HA site crashed for many people during the bidding.  

Have you seen anyone say that it was their intention to bid, but they were unable? It seems to me that anyone bidding over 2M would know to have several avenues as a contingency. This book didn't go to a guy on his lunch break with bad phone reception, it was a business transaction.

On 9/10/2021 at 8:30 PM, Betty-Bates said:

Have you seen anyone say that it was their intention to bid, but they were unable? It seems to me that anyone bidding over 2M would know to have several avenues as a contingency. This book didn't go to a guy on his lunch break with bad phone reception, it was a business transaction.

Picking up a funny book is not really a ‘business transaction’.