• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 9/10/2021 at 2:30 PM, Betty-Bates said:

Have you seen anyone say that it was their intention to bid, but they were unable? It seems to me that anyone bidding over 2M would know to have several avenues as a contingency. This book didn't go to a guy on his lunch break with bad phone reception, it was a business transaction.

Yeah, I agree..... I'm just kind of stirring the pot (is that the right phrase?).

Still, a LOT of people got shut out of the auction for a while.... not just for the 9.6, but for some of the comics that followed.

Me, I was able to watch everything.

The group of bidders at that end of the pool is very limited, but if even one got shut out.....

Edited by gadzukes

On 9/10/2021 at 2:41 PM, Mr bla bla said:

Picking up a funny book is not really a ‘business transaction’.

IMHO picking up anything that costs over a million dollars is a business transaction. If it is not, they will be selling the piece soon, because they aren't taking money seriously. Also, if it was purchased on a whim, the value would be invalid as a market indicator and would simply be a fluke that deserves no attention. Only three groups want this book - collectors who love it, businesses that want to show it off as advertising, and investors who know our hobby is still cheap and realize the cultural significance. Those groups are not exclusive, and the reasoning could be one or all of those factors. Even for a well-to-do collector, this would very much be a business transaction. The buyer took three million and six hundred thousand dollars of liquid income and turned it into a book that would require strategy, work and time to resell. I'm not saying 3M is a ton of money to everyone, but, it is a whole lot of money to everyone. No one spends that flippantly (without that flippantness being part of an advertising or other strategy.) 

Edited by Betty-Bates

On 9/10/2021 at 4:31 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I think it's pretty simple ... I'm not the world's biggest Superman or Batman fan, but I recognize both of them as truly iconic, among the very greatest heroes ever created.  However, even though one is light and one is dark, they have something in common -- they're the kind of heroes you have to appreciate from a distance.  As a reader or a fan, you stand in awe of them but you never imagine for a moment that you could be them.  And by the way, some of my absolute favorite Marvel characters are the same way.  I have always been crazy about Thor and Captain America, but they're in that same category -- you can hero-worship these characters and revel in their superhuman feats, but you can't really put yourself in their shoes.  That's why Batman, Cap, and many other heroes of the Golden Age needed boy sidekicks to tag along with them.

That's what truly sets Spider-Man apart.  Whether you're a small child or a grown adult, you can identify with Peter Parker (and now Miles Morales) in a way that you couldn't with any hero that came before.  Classic Spidey sits right on the threshold between boyhood and manhood, he struggles with the difficult moral and practical questions of being a hero in ways that his predecessors never did, and we get to see the world from his point of view, to a previously unmatched degree in superhero comics, as he grows and evolves as a character.

Spider-Man has always been the hero you could actually imagine yourself being, and that's why he's so special.

Perfectly said. 

Edited by eee91

On 9/10/2021 at 11:07 PM, innocuous said:

Where are prices the day after the record? Well, there were only two copies (that I saw) at today's Rose City Comic-Con in Portland. One restored and this 2.5 from the I Like Comics (Vancouver, WA) booth. Pricing is "strong"

ilikecomics-af25.thumb.jpg.2876dd6a2e00ea223bf4a0e62102beaf.jpg

Bummer that pretty much the only scuffing is on his face.  Definitely a strong price.  I only have a lowly 1.0, so what do I know?

On 9/10/2021 at 11:22 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

Bummer that pretty much the only scuffing is on his face.  Definitely a strong price.  I only have a lowly 1.0, so what do I know?

If only Stan were still around to do a big messy signature over the scuff.

:jokealert:

We miss you Stan.  RIP

On 9/10/2021 at 2:03 PM, Subby1938 said:

I’m going out on limb but based on the current Spiderman franchise and what has been done with his brand over  the last few years in all media and mediums there is no doubt in my mind he’s the biggest character in comics . That goes for Marvel or DC. He will continue to grow and do better than both Superman and Batman ( not knocking them at all ) but I just feel with Disney/Sony sharing and playing well together and other multiverse Spider characters being huge in their own right , this comic will continue to climb . 

To certain deep pockets the GA Tec27 or Action 1 are the comics to have based on rarity and basically launching the comic game but Spiderman has something they don’t. Can’t quite put my finger on it but he’s got it ! 

There is no other most marketable superhero then Spider-man. Spider-Man is now King Kong of the comic world. This will last a very very long time because the two 9.0 copies of Action 1 are already in the hands of a billionaire and the only way for a AF 15 to be dethroned would be either a 8.5 Action comics 1 or a Tech 27 8.5-9.0. Those odds are very very slim now.. 

On 9/12/2021 at 12:57 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

It is AF15 pricing will always be strong it is the King of the entire SA and to me tied with TEC27. It will be that way from now on Batman & Spiderman are the King's. I know AC1 is King as well so I guess we have the 3 King's.

Then we have ‘un menage au trois’ 🤥

Edited by Mr bla bla

On 8/18/2021 at 12:23 PM, Batmanis#1 said:
On 8/17/2021 at 4:51 PM, NoMan said:

wonder what kind of change it would go for now?

350k to 400k in 8.0 is my guess.

Well, it appears you would be under by quite a bit as the CGC 8.0 graded copy finished up at $560K just a couple of weeks ago.  

And if you want to know about the price for one in a slightly higher grade at CGC 8.5; all you need do is to check out this copy in Goldin:  :popcorn:

https://goldinauctions.com/1962_Marvel_Comics__Amazing_Fantasy___15___Origin_-LOT109893.aspx

Already at a hammer price of $525K or $630K with the 20% BP juice added in, with still another day to go.  Not sure about the bidders though since it lists only 5 bidders at this current point in time which appears to be abnormally low when compared to the regular comic book auction platforms that we have all become accustomed to.  hm  (shrug)

On 9/9/2021 at 10:52 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

Hey I got my CGC 6.5 for 35k back in 2015 now they sell for 200k or more I am sure many laughed back then as well. Same with all my key SA books best buys I have ever done.

Paid 5500$ for my JIM83 CGC 6.0 back in 2014 now sells for 30k or more same with many of my books. Again the current prices everyone laughed at but here we are in 2021 made a fortune like many here. I have no intent on selling I love my books and the hobby more.

Since you state that you have no intention of selling any of these books, you have actually not made a fortune or even any money at all on your books as what you have are only paper gains for now.  hm

Especially since prices could just as easily come down in the seeming current bubble-like marketplace environment like this, it's best not to count your chickens before they hatch.  :preach:

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/18/2021 at 3:47 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, it appears you would be under by quite a bit as the CGC 8.0 graded copy finished up at $560K just a couple of weeks ago.  

And if you want to know about the price for one in a slightly higher grade at CGC 8.5; all you need do is to check out this copy in Goldin:  :popcorn:

https://goldinauctions.com/1962_Marvel_Comics__Amazing_Fantasy___15___Origin_-LOT109893.aspx

Already at a hammer price of $525K or $630K with the 20% BP juice added in, with still another day to go.  Not sure about the bidders though since it lists only 5 bidders at this current point in time which appears to be abnormally low when compared to the regular comic book auction platforms that we have all become accustomed to.  hm  (shrug)

I’m suspicious of that Goldin 8.5. Only 5 bidders? But I’m always suspicious, Especially of that girl at the bar last night. 

On 9/18/2021 at 8:05 AM, NoMan said:
On 9/18/2021 at 12:47 AM, lou_fine said:

Not sure about the bidders though since it lists only 5 bidders at this current point in time which appears to be abnormally low when compared to the regular comic book auction platforms that we have all become accustomed to.  hm  (shrug)

I’m suspicious of that Goldin 8.5. Only 5 bidders? But I’m always suspicious, Especially of that girl at the bar last night. 

That was the first thing that I also noticed since it looks like the CGC 8.0 graded copy that sold for $560K during the CC Event Auction at the end of last month got a total of 40 bids.  Likewise with their CGC 8.0 graded copy of Bat that sold for $1,207,500 with a total of 65 bids, as compared to the current Larson 8.0 graded copy on Goldin still sitting at $1,212,000 with a total of only 13 bids with about 8 hours still to go.  hm

Then again, probably something to be expected since Goldin's customer base is clearly geared towards the sports card market and this whole comic book thing is brand new for them.  No comic book customer base history for them which is completely different from Metro/CC which is strongly tied into the comic book clientale with their 30 plus years history in the business.  (thumbsu

On 9/18/2021 at 6:25 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Strange place to sell a comic book of this magnitude probably a card collector just decided to list it there with some cards he is selling.

I have absolutely no background information on this, but clearly Goldin has decided to enter the comics market and they made the strategic decision to start with a small group of very high-value books to show they're serious and bring attention to themselves.  It's possible they bought these books outright in order to put them up, but if not then they probably sought out and recruited consignors to be part of this new experiment.

One interesting feature of Goldin auctions is that they don't do $1 minimum bids -- there is a significant minimum bid for each item, sometimes 5, 6, or even 7 figures.  Even so, those minimum bids aren't really high enough to function as a "reserve" ... the seller would be very disappointed to sell for those minimums.  So if these books really are consigned, I wonder if the house is giving them any assurance by assuming some of their risk.  (I want to believe, and let's all hope, that they wouldn't resort to shill bidding to try to achieve a good result.)