• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 9/28/2021 at 10:55 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Sell it on the boards why throw away 20% commission on a easy sell-able book like AF15.

Oh I'm not selling anytime soon, Its just I don't see many copies looking worse than mine as I believe that water damaged HA book does. I figured that if that sorry example could get over 15K mine would get 20.  But I think lou_fine is right, those bidders were dreaming. I'm not even sure if a cover that washed out could be restored to look like anything.   Youre right about selling here. I do. 

On 9/28/2021 at 11:03 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, if you was thinking of cracking it out to sell on HA raw, a better idea might be for you to crack it out and have HA submit it in for grading before you auction it off.  hm

With the seeming influence they have with the boys over at CGC, you never know as your CGC 0.5 graded copy might just come back as a CGC 2.0 graded copy for all you know.  :devil:  lol

Oooh Dream Weaver.................

On 9/29/2021 at 12:15 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

Heritage charges 20% and some other charge close to that as well. Or am I getting this all wrong. If you sell a book on HA for 100k you pocket 80k that is a waste of money for a seller especially on a easy sell like AF15.

Then add in capital gains taxes your are giving the book away (this has to be paid by law here in Canada anyways when the bank sees anything over 10k they block it and contact you). And this is another 20% or so on any gains you made. So all together 40% it is insane.

I get it it's the cost of doing business but why bother just sell books yourself here on the boards.

I sold my Af15 4.0 here on the boards a couple months ago for a nice amount (with no commissions).  It felt good. I was very happy.  It was the most I've ever sold a comic for.

And with the way the prices have kept climbing....... I think my buyer is probably VERY happy right now.

Sometimes it's nice to just do a quick sale here on the boards, but...... an argument can definitely be made that Heritage or CC or CL will get you an amazing price, even once the commission is subtracted.  I loved watching the last live HA auction.  Simply amazing prices.

Edited by gadzukes

On 9/29/2021 at 12:15 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

Heritage charges 20% and some other charge close to that as well. Or am I getting this all wrong. If you sell a book on HA for 100k you pocket 80k that is a waste of money for a seller especially on a easy sell like AF15.

Then add in capital gains taxes your are giving the book away (this has to be paid by law here in Canada anyways when the bank sees anything over 10k they block it and contact you). And this is another 20% or so on any gains you made. So all together 40% it is insane.

I get it it's the cost of doing business but why bother just sell books yourself here on the boards.

Standard commission on your typical auction site is 10%.  Heritage is its own more complicated beast, with its 20% buyer's premium (technically not a commission), but nobody is forcing anyone to sell on that platform.

Taxes are not a variable here, as selling on the boards does not magically absolve anyone of the obligation to pay them.

On 9/29/2021 at 6:22 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Standard commission on your typical auction site is 10%.  Heritage is its own more complicated beast, with its 20% buyer's premium (technically not a commission), but nobody is forcing anyone to sell on that platform.

Taxes are not a variable here, as selling on the boards does not magically absolve anyone of the obligation to pay them.

Correct. And in most cases, if you are selling a nice af15 and are paying more than 10-12.5% with heritage, you don’t understand the art of negotiating 

On 9/29/2021 at 7:45 AM, G.A.tor said:

Correct. And in most cases, if you are selling a nice af15 and are paying more than 10-12.5% with heritage, you don’t understand the art of negotiating 

Can the 20% buyers premium be negotiated as well?  Say a book sells for $80 and with buyers premium the buyer actually pay $96.  As a seller would I get the $80 less another 20% sellers commission or the full $80?  And can that buyers premium also be negoitated?  Thanks!

On 9/29/2021 at 11:18 AM, jeffreyk said:

Can the 20% buyers premium be negotiated as well?  Say a book sells for $80 and with buyers premium the buyer actually pay $96.  As a seller would I get the $80 less another 20% sellers commission or the full $80?  And can that buyers premium also be negoitated?  Thanks!

yes...but not on an $80 book...but on an key, sure...

Edited by G.A.tor

When I sold mine through Bob Storms, he had an 8.87% commission. It took two months to sell it.  We sett the price together. I had no downside surprises as can occur at auction.  Selling at HA does involve a 20% buyers premium which is a lot if one considers the fee the seller is already paying. Then, in many states , add on sales tax and it's harder to justify going this route. unless you love the publicity. 

On 9/29/2021 at 9:48 AM, G.A.tor said:

I will happily sell a nice, no marvel chipping cgc 4.5 af15 for 73K to the underbidder of the clink auction (or anyone else for that matter ) lol

So weird seeing G.A.tor mulling about the SA thread so much these days.........

ps. was rooting for you guys hard against the Tide

On 9/29/2021 at 11:19 AM, Chicago Boy said:

So weird seeing G.A.tor mulling about the SA thread so much these days.........

ps. was rooting for you guys hard against the Tide

just bored I guess lol

and yes, I was rooting for us against the tide too :o)

On 9/29/2021 at 11:19 AM, Glassman10 said:

When I sold mine through Bob Storms, he had an 8.87% commission. It took two months to sell it.  We sett the price together. I had no downside surprises as can occur at auction.  Selling at HA does involve a 20% buyers premium which is a lot if one considers the fee the seller is already paying. Then, in many states , add on sales tax and it's harder to justify going this route. unless you love the publicity. 

if you were to sell a 5.0 af15 via heritage, you could, with a little negotiation,  only pay 10% commission...bob was 1.13% better in this case, and clearly gave you the service you were looking for...no downside to either, really

Edited by G.A.tor

On 9/29/2021 at 11:27 AM, jeffreyk said:

Gothcha....what about on a  collection of say 100 books of keys, non keys, etc.?  Will they limit it to the keys or do it on all due to the better books being part of it?

you'd have to negotiate with them...but I'd guess heritage is not going to work off a lower commission for non keys, I wouldn't imagine...

and this isn't some insider secret....this has been public and common knowledge for as long as I can remember...in fact I found out about it (negotiating a better rate), right here on the boards moons ago...

Edited by G.A.tor

On 9/29/2021 at 12:18 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

I doubt this price range is a one time thing. AF15 is rising and not coming back down. How can this be a shock to anyone on such a book.

oh, I don't know, maybe because for the past 40+ years this book has been recognized as "the" silverage book to have, yet has never had this kind of momentous surge? this is unprecedented territory...sure demand right now seems a bit in a frenzied hyperinflation bubble type, never before seen set of variables that has made the increase feel good to many (who own) and feel daunting to many (that want to own), and maybe we will establish a new floor...or maybe, the bubble will burst and prices will receded...who knows?

But anyone that is not shocked by 200-300%+ increases in just a matter of months, is kidding themselves... NO one could have predicted this pre covid...no one did that Im aware of

Edited by G.A.tor

On 9/29/2021 at 12:25 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

I don't believe it for a minute Spiderman is most likely #1 in the entire hobby now. It was way to cheap for way to long.

the thing is, what you and I believe is not really relevant....unless you can manipulate the market, our opinions, are just that, opinions...time will tell...but I for one, after dealing in this hobby for 37 years and collecting for almost 50, don't believe it is sustainable...but that's my opinion and could be wrong

On 9/29/2021 at 12:28 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Oh the famous bubble each time prices increase but almost never go down afterwards gotta love that bubble.

and yet, every significant price increase in this hobby has been followed by a downward price correction...even if it is the 2 steps forward , one step back, it has happened every single time...bubbles don't mean the 300% increase falls 300%, it just means that a price correction is likely