• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 11/10/2021 at 12:18 PM, piper said:

I'm originally from Windsor, Ontario, so definitely no Gretzky sightings.  I have met a few players over the years: Ted Lindsay, Tie Domi, Lanny McDonald...

For more recent players, I've seen Taylor Hall but no McFavid sightings yet.

(I'm a Leafs Fan :fear:)

Tie Domi is one of those names that sticks in your memory even if you're not a huge hockey fan.  Am I right that he was known for getting into tons of fights?

On 11/10/2021 at 12:18 PM, piper said:

I'm originally from Windsor, Ontario, so definitely no Gretzky sightings.  I have met a few players over the years: Ted Lindsay, Tie Domi, Lanny McDonald...

I'm not a big hockey fan by any stretch, but my wife and I spent 12 years or so living in the greater Boston area. 

When we first moved there we had an apartment just North of the City and our neighbors across the hall were Tim Thomas's parents.... Thomas was the goalie at the time I believe.  When they went to the Stanley Cup files there were news crews coming to interview them. 

I can't remember ever speaking to his mother, but his father was very nice. 

On 11/10/2021 at 12:59 PM, Subby1938 said:

Well then you could appreciate the best player in the world McDavid and thanks for Hyman! That’s why those Leafs will never win lord Stanley !!!

C7AB567A-AF02-47A3-B6DA-6EC2CC40F420.jpeg

Hyman? Really?

Thanks for that…suddenly I feel less sad about being a Leafs fan

On 11/10/2021 at 2:06 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Tie Domi is one of those names that sticks in your memory even if you're not a huge hockey fan.  Am I right that he was known for getting into tons of fights?

Yes. He was an enforcer for the Leafs but what really was interesting about him is when he was fighting he always looked like he was smiling on his wedding day.

He was one tough dude.

On 11/11/2021 at 4:18 AM, piper said:

On 11/11/2021 at 2:09 PM, VintageComics said:

Yes. He was an enforcer for the Leafs but what really was interesting about him is when he was fighting he always looked like he was smiling on his wedding day.

He was one tough dude.

Haha Domi was a midget who more then often got his head kicked in. Especially from Probert who tuned him like a fiddle.. 

On 11/11/2021 at 2:42 AM, Kalel38 said:

Haha Domi was a midget who more then often got his head kicked in. Especially from Probert who tuned him like a fiddle.. 

I don't watch much hockey and yes, he was on the short side but every time I saw him hitting someone he was grinning like it was Christmas. lol

On 11/12/2021 at 9:22 PM, Wolverinex said:

Nice! I actually meant the story....

Pre 94 X men on the other hand....

Yeah, the story isn't bad....which is more than I can say for a lot SA Marvels. Some of them take forever to read too, friggin novels compared to today's comics. 

On 11/17/2021 at 11:09 AM, gadzukes said:

This "Stan Signed" raw pence copy just sold at auction today.

The auction house graded it as (GD+/VG-) so (3.0ish)

26% commission

I believe in US dollars (with commission) this went for $51,000

Pretty big price for a raw 3.0 pence.

2.jpeg

1.png

Looks vg

On 11/17/2021 at 10:05 PM, woowoo said:

Looks vg

I thought so too.  I was even thinking 4.5 until I saw the piece missing from the splash.

The "non-verified but pretty much 100% Stan Sig" might have figured into the price too.

I'm biased, but I'm glad Pence copies are getting more recognition and legitimacy. 

Edited by gadzukes

On 11/17/2021 at 7:09 PM, gadzukes said:

This "Stan Signed" raw pence copy just sold at auction today.

The auction house graded it as (GD+/VG-) so (3.0ish)

26% commission

I believe in US dollars (with commission) this went for $51,000

Pretty big price for a raw 3.0 pence.

2.jpeg

1.png

This issue was part of the Ian Penman sale held across two days in Newcastle this week. The wonderful original owner collection included 19,000 comics with near complete and good/high grade silver and bronze Marvel/DC runs. And every key/mega key except IH #181.

Ian Penman was a British music journalist and his Stan signatures were almost certainly picked up when The Man visited the UK in 1976 to promote the expansion of Marvel UK. A visit which was as much a rock tour as it was PR.

It was a great sale of a great collection with almost all comics - judging by the pence copies - plucked straight from the racks. And not a slab in sight.

Edited by Colin The Librarian