• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GB said:

I appreciate all the feedback on this and I'm thinking of just having the book sent back as is. The fees for having it pressed and regraded combined are 5.5% of the estimated value. So with the last 7.5 selling on comiclink last week at $140K, that's $7700. But, if it came back as an 8, the $7700 would have been well worth it.

I'm not looking to flip the book or anything. I just started having books graded for the day I decide to sell them all or if something happens to me, make it easy for my wife to sell them.

I'd still press, there are definitely some cheaper pressing and cleaning services out there. But hey, to each is own. Sweet book nonetheless.

On 6/13/2018 at 6:44 PM, NoMan said:

Blah, blah, blah movies.  I still don’t understand how this superhero film trend continues. I see the movies. Generally on airplanes. They’re insufferable. I’ll probably see some more on a trip overseas in about two weeks. I’m that bored and trapped. 

I said the same thing about reality tv in the early 00s when it was starting to become popular. It’s so dumb how can it last? But look at it now. 

So invest up in those movie books. 

:preach:

The feedback on this has been great, there is no doubt the cost to let CCS & CGC press and grade is a lot of money. I have had some suggestions to have someone else press the book to save some money, then send it in for regrading. I might do this if the book wasn't worth so much. The cost to ship with insurance and the possibility of this being the box that gets lost or damaged, I don't think is worth it. The easy thing is to have them send it back, but this morning I'm really leaning towards letting them press it. I appreciate the continued input on this.

So, um, i'm been around awhile and I guess I've just never had a mega key graded at CGC. I'm more of a, "I'm gonna get my Moon Knight #1 graded and see if I'm correct that it's about a 9.6." (I was.)

Why the big dollars to grade a high value book. Aren't they all graded the same, check for resto the same and put in the same plastic tomb?

CGC cost is on a scale that depends upon the value of the book.  The more valuable, the more expensive to grade.  Especially once books get into the thousands of dollars to grade because in the highest tier, the pricing is a percent of market value, not a flat fee.  This is how CGC makes its real money, on the big books.

27 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

CGC cost is on a scale that depends upon the value of the book.  The more valuable, the more expensive to grade.  Especially once books get into the thousands of dollars to grade because in the highest tier, the pricing is a percent of market value, not a flat fee.  This is how CGC makes its real money, on the big books.

I just learned that with the several posts above.

The question was why?

14 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

I realize y'all hate PGX since we're on the CGC boards, but you can just get it pressed by them for about no more than $100 if you add additional fees. So... expensive???

I'd do it, but than again I've never handled a book worth 100K+ so whadda I know?

You could send it to PGX and it could come back a 9.0 and it still wouldn't be worth as much as a CGC 7.5

If you look at cgc's tiers you're essentially paying at least 3% FMV in the best case scenario.  For Express (min $1k, max $3k, cost $100) your best % of FMV 3.3% with the range starting at 10%.  For Standard (max $1k, cost $65) your best % of FMV is 6.5%.  I would think many of these tiers are designed to make insurance cost for time onsite as efficient as possible.  I don't think I've ever seen CGC say they insure books for FMV but you'd think for high dollar books they would because of liability (unless we waive liability in the fine print, which I never read).  This would also explain PGX lower fees (if this is even the case) because someone who operates their grading service in their parent's garage probably isn't going to factor in liability.  Besides, you'd likely have a higher FMV keeping the book raw than having it graded by PGX.  

1 hour ago, peewee22 said:

It's like "buying" a grade. Crazy.

Yep, when the same company presses the book and then grades the book, the odds are ever in your favor that the grade is going to go up. But that's not a conflict of interest for an impartial 3rd-party grading company so nothing to see here...move along!  :shy:

7 minutes ago, drbanner said:

Yep, when the same company presses the book and then grades the book, the odds are ever in your favor that the grade is going to go up. But that's not a conflict of interest for an impartial 3rd-party grading company so nothing to see here...move along!  :shy:

Like how it's not a conflict of interest to charge based upon FMV, when the FMV depends on the grade, and they are the ones assigning the grade. 

11 hours ago, Spyder! said:

You could send it to PGX and it could come back a 9.0 and it still wouldn't be worth as much as a CGC 7.5

I wasn't saying GRADE it w/ PGX, I was saying get it PRESSED by them, then get it graded by CGC it'll save ya a lot of $$$

13 hours ago, namisgr said:

For a book worth $100,000, perhaps scrimping on the process isn't the right approach.

Yeah, I understand why you wouldn't trust PGX, I do and I'd be fine with it, but I understand. To each is own, eh?