• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sotheby's catalogs

8 posts in this topic

I was just looking through my old Sotheby's catalogs, pretty interesting to see what things have done since the early 90's ....the tales to astonish 83 splash in the upcoming heritage auction was once estimated to sell at 600-800 dollars! After looking at these catalogs ago in it is really marvel that exploded in price, much has remained about the same, lost value or increased slightly, generally speaking of course. There is also a lot of great art in there that hasn't really re surfaced

I find those old Sotheby's catalogs to be a great reference. I also have the one where the ToA #83 splash was offered. I think it sold for $770. A lot of the secondary 2-up splashes went so cheaply back then!

The way I heard the story, Sotheby's only got into comic art because their business was very bad back in the early 90's. As soon as things picked up, they dropped comics to focus on their preferred areas of interest.