• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

*Signature Series Rules Adjustment *

72 posts in this topic

The tipping point was a combo of that cool Skyline Spidey 700 with the all the creators names along with the monster known as Walking Dead (the comics and magazines). Those celebs aren't going to cons just to see your faces. That comic / tv show hit pop culture in the nuts. Cons tend to have at least 1, sometimes 3 and even more cast members for the big conventions. Everyone and their mother wants the entire cast to sign a comic or mag. And because of that, people are getting the 3 sig limit and everyone now pays that price. It sucks but it is what it is.

Possibly. The thing about the WD cast signed books is the Celeb signing fees add up fast. Darrel could comment better about Stalker Con but I thought there were 3-4 multi sig books out of the 80 submitted.

Possibly. The thing about the WD cast signed books is the Celeb signing fees add up fast. Darrel could comment better about Stalker Con but I thought there were 3-4 multi sig books out of the 80 submitted.

I know out of the 100+ books I did we did 3 that had more than 3 sigs on them. When you are talking 5-10 people at $40 each plus facilitator fees it tends to add up fast.

I know out of the 100+ books I did we did 3 that had more than 3 sigs on them. When you are talking 5-10 people at $40 each plus facilitator fees it tends to add up fast.

Versus getting a dozen creators for a fraction of the cost.

The tipping point was a combo of that cool Skyline Spidey 700 with the all the creators names along with the monster known as Walking Dead (the comics and magazines). Those celebs aren't going to cons just to see your faces. That comic / tv show hit pop culture in the nuts. Cons tend to have at least 1, sometimes 3 and even more cast members for the big conventions. Everyone and their mother wants the entire cast to sign a comic or mag. And because of that, people are getting the 3 sig limit and everyone now pays that price. It sucks but it is what it is.

That's inaccurate on pretty much every level.

CGC SS forms have displayed a $5 "additional signature same show" fee for years now - meaning that the first signature was included in the CGC SS grading cost, but any additional signatures at the same show were supposed to incur an extra cost of $5/sig.

In my experience, CGC has been pretty flexible about enforcing this rule - 2-3 sigs from creators sitting in artist alley at a show usually incurred no other fees than the actual SS grading cost - but popular multi-sig books like ASM 700 where people wanted 10 different creator signatures would get hit with the $5 pr. extra sig fee most of the time.

It was just a matter of time before CGC started enforcing this rule across the board.

Where the confusion lies, however, is with the wording of what Mike wrote - I'm fairly certain that it's meant to be interpreted this way:

1) I have a SS book with 5 signatures, crack it and add another 5 signatures:

I'll be charged $25 for the new signatures (because in total I'll have more than 3 sigs on the book) and the regular CGC SS slabbing fees.

2) I have a SS book with 3 signatures, crack it and add another signature:

I'll be charged $5 for the new signature (because in total I'll have more than 3 sigs on the book) and the regular CGC SS slabbing fees.

which I don't see a problem which.

I thought for a moment that this signature fee would be cumulative - meaning you'd be paying for the same signatures over & over again every time you cracked the book - but I just don't see that being the case.

But wasn't the $5 additional sig same show from the days when CGC would get the sigs? I thought it was dropped when CGC stopped obtaining the sigs. I need to double check then because I do not recall any of the Spidey 700's getting hit with extra sig fees. I would hope that I'd notice an additional $100 charge per book on the 25+ sig Spideys.

But wasn't the $5 additional sig same show from the days when CGC would get the sigs? I thought it was dropped when CGC stopped obtaining the sigs. I need to double check then because I do not recall any of the Spidey 700's getting hit with extra sig fees. I would hope that I'd notice an additional $100 charge per book on the 25+ sig Spideys.

No, that fee's been there for as long as I've been working as a CAW - but, like I mentioned, it was never enforced consistently. A lot of facilitators have been passing this fee on to their customers too.

You were either lucky - or Balent likes you :whistle:

These are things easily established and easily now enforced when you have an all out monopoly on the market for something like this. I mean people can be quick to say that they don't and there is PGX or what ever else but honestly that's a bunch of *feces_that_originate_from_bulls*

I also don't know what facilitators do pass on such a large amount for assisting us. I figure I pay $28 for the grading, invoice fee???, and witnessing, another $10 typically for fast tracking, and then depending on how they ship another $10 for shipping. When I pay typically $65 per comic assisted I'm not typically seeing any additional $5 charges being handed to me. Must be only using the good facilitators I guess.

But never been charged on any of the multi-sig books before so if it is simply an inconsistent thing they must not like you if they did charge you in the past...

I just checked the spreadsheet. Out of the nearly 80 books we worked on, 16 of them had more than 3 signatures added at the show. 3 of them had more than 10.

All I hope for is that the fee isn't going to hit us 2 or 3 times if we can't get everyone at 1 show. I'm cool with a book with having 5 sigs and paying 5 extra for the sixth, but if it's 15 it'll kill my bigger multi sig book plans.

I wanted to put 25 on my Martin ASM 700, but fast track was forgotten to be added and with that I couldn't finish last year. Looks like I'll put it on hold until it's clarified.

I can see this affecting me $5 here $5 there. I don't do a lot of signatures on a single book. Looking at the books I have I don't think I have a single book that has more than 3 sigs. Yet. I know I want to get a 4th sig on my Stargate book hopefully this fall so that one fits. Just something I'll try to be more cognitive of.

3. A flat $5 fee will be charged for each additional signature after 3 signatures on a Signature Series label.

This could be a major project killer for me.

I have read and reread the original post many times now and the way it is written indicates that it will be $5 per additional signature (over the first three) each time it is submitted. It reads as though the problem is putting the names on the label.

I am not happy with having to pay an extra $5 each time I add a signature but to have to pay the $5 repeatedly for old signatures is just ridiculous.

CGC SS forms have displayed a $5 "additional signature same show" fee for years now - meaning that the first signature was included in the CGC SS grading cost, but any additional signatures at the same show were supposed to incur an extra cost of $5/sig.

In my experience, CGC has been pretty flexible about enforcing this rule - 2-3 sigs from creators sitting in artist alley at a show usually incurred no other fees than the actual SS grading cost - but popular multi-sig books like ASM 700 where people wanted 10 different creator signatures would get hit with the $5 pr. extra sig fee most of the time.

It was just a matter of time before CGC started enforcing this rule.

Anytime I got my books signed myself (without any 3rd party facilitator) I never had to pay this ridiculous fee. It's only through the facilitators like DWC where things can get fee happy. If I can't get the SIGs myself, I'll use facilitators. If this was in effect for years, CGC did a poor job enforcing it nor did they bring it to my attention when I was getting sigs done. I just think it wreaks of greed.

It was just a matter of time before CGC started enforcing this rule.

Anytime I got my books signed myself (without any 3rd party facilitator) I never had to pay this ridiculous fee. It's only through the facilitators like DWC where things can get fee happy. If I can't get the SIGs myself, I'll use facilitators. If this was in effect for years, CGC did a poor job enforcing it nor did they bring it to my attention when I was getting sigs done. I just think it wreaks of greed.

Why is it ridiculous to pay a fee based on the number of signatures you're getting?

They should charge the absolute most they can that the market will support. It's not greed; it's maintaining a business that we all derive tertiary enjoyment from.

Its just the number of fees that seem to be cropping up is all. I feel like its going to get worse before it gets better.

We're talking about 1 fee - which isn't even new, but just wasn't enforced consistently previously. Guess I just don't see the reason for the big outrage here :shrug:

1. A Sig Series Survey form will now be available for customers, creators, etc to fill out concerning their experience with Facilitators. They will be available at the CGC booth and online.

In all the talk about the pr. sig fee, this seem to have fallen underneath the radar. I think it's a great initiative and I'm hoping CGC will use it to weed out some of the, diplomatically speaking, lesser-performing facilitators.