• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bagging and boarding Modern Comics

41 posts in this topic

So then it would be safe to get these:

Mylites2 - Regular Size - 100 Count

And I won't have to worry about the corners? Board wise I will get the Full Backs. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

-Brian

I wouldn't waste money on mylites for moderns IMHO. I use ComicCare (I think that's the name) current size polyethylene bags that fit 99.9% of everything new that I collect. Along with current size boards. Much better than the polypropylene bags!

And I won't have to worry about the corners? Board wise I will get the Full Backs. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

-Brian

I wouldn't waste money on mylites for moderns IMHO. I use ComicCare (I think that's the name) current size polyethylene bags that fit 99.9% of everything new that I collect. Along with current size boards. Much better than the polypropylene bags!

polyethelyne bags look better than polypropelyne bags. What dimensions are the ComicCare bags?

-Brian

polyethelyne bags look better than polypropelyne bags. What dimensions are the ComicCare bags?

Not only that but they hold up better (from my experience) they don't ripple or get gummy like polypropylene.

Sorry I'm at work right now I'll look tonight. I've been buying them so long I don't even look at the size on the label, just pick up "current".

Ah, just did a google: Current - 6 7/8 x 10 1/2"

The only problem that I have heard with polyethelyne bags is that they tend to stick together if stored together tightly for long periods of time. So much so that it is very difficult to seperate.

I don't know because I have only used polypropelyne bags.

Funny I find just the opposite!

To be clear, polypropylene bags are the clearer krinkly ones that get tacky and the polyethylene bags are softer with a slight haze to the plastic

and the current size is - 6 7/8 x 10 1/2" with current boards - 6 3/4 x 10 1/2.

Funny I find just the opposite!

To be clear, polypropylene bags are the clearer krinkly ones that get tacky and the polyethylene bags are softer with a slight haze to the plastic

and the current size is - 6 7/8 x 10 1/2" with current boards - 6 3/4 x 10 1/2.

The other way around. polyethelyne bags are clear and slick. polypropelyne are cloudy and soft.

"no sorry"? you disagree with me? you think polypropelyne bags are clear and slick?

I thought the Polypropelyne bags were cloudy and slick?

They are. Not sure what Jayman is thinking of. Polyethelyne bags are clear like mylar and have a slick feel to them.

Nope, sorry!

Been buying them for years Poltethylene is the soft 'n hazy! cloud9.gif

I think you have been lied to then. polyethelyne bags are not soft and hazy.

I have to pick up a pack tonight now then, was gonna wait till Wed. but I'll go see, If I'm wrong I apologise but I'm not! sumo.gif

Nope, sorry!

I have to pick up a pack tonight now then, was gonna wait till Wed. but I'll go see, If I'm wrong I apologise but I'm not! sumo.gif

juggle.gifpoke2.gif

Nope, sorry!

juggle.gifpoke2.gif

Knew I was right! grin.gif

Best put on yer glasses next time pickin' up yer bags! 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif

Nope, sorry!

juggle.gifpoke2.gif

nope, you are still completely wrong. waiting for you to prove me wrong. juggle.gif

Nope, sorry!

juggle.gifpoke2.gif

nope, you are still completely wrong. waiting for you to prove me wrong. juggle.gif

Keep waiting then! makepoint.gif

Or better yet just go check for yourself, I'm done! acclaim.gifhi.gif

I can't speak on the clarity or haziness of polyethylene bags but the Ultra-Pro bags that I mentioned earlier are Polypropylene and they are crystal clear (or as they say on the bag ULTRA-CLEAR). They are not "hazy".

what's this PP and PE thing? FYI, PP is polypropylene and PE is polyethylene. It is our understanding that PP bags offer better protection for your comics as they are acid free and are suppose to be free of the oils that PE bags can exude over time. http://www.paperbackbazaar.com/comics/supplies.shtml

I have no idea if they are correct, although most sites seem to feel that both PE and PP are acceptable for short term storage and must be replaced.

The majority of my collection (40,000+ books) are in PP bags as that is what I have always purchased, and I've never had a problem. I replace them in cycles every 5 or so years.

Any gold, silver or key bronze age books that I have are in Gerber Mylar "Archives" sleeves.

If I am not going to wanting to be replacing the bags within the next five or so years wouldn't MyLites be a good choice? The ones that I am bagging now I won't be opening for a loooong time. Or will they need to be replaced as well?

-Brian

(PS, tons of great info guys...thanks!)