• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Almost 5years later I finally saw X-Men Origins: Wolverine

97 posts in this topic

This movie could be used as evidence as to why Marvel should get the rights to Logan back.

So my question is should I even bother with "The Wolverine"?

I actually thought that Origins was slightly better than Wolverine - some scenes in the latest movie will have you laughing on the floor, like the absolutely idiotic "ninjas", which incidentally people laughed at in the theater, and some of the CGI-heavy sequences like the moronic bullet train part with normal humans doing flips, fighting and jumping obstacles at 200+ mph.

And while not near as bad as the Mandarin BS, the Silver Samurai movie version was really lame, and I was very disappointed in the Logan-Mariko sex-up in the movie. In the comics, it's a sweet romance, designed to offset Wolvie's violent temperament, while in the movie, they meet, he slides her the salami, and the takes off on the next train out of there. :insane:

And man, those ninja scenes will live with me forever, they are that bad. doh!

X-Men First Class is by far my favorite X-Men movie.

The only part of that movie that was incredibly lame was totally changing Sebastian Shaw's character for the sole reason of giving Magneto someone to steal his classic helmet from.

That's some freakishly-bad writing.

I actually thought X-Men first class was the best X movie,and thought they did a great job on Magnetos origins.What do I know......? (shrug)

I liked it too.

+ 2

The Argentina scene was over-the-top amazing!

http://infinite-loop.org/v2/?id=1583

And when he forces the knife towards the bartender and then back - what a special effect!

:cloud9:

my favorite scene in the entire movie.

I love the music as well.

Thanks for the link.

It's hilarious to see what a mess job Fox does utilizing these characters. Remember when there was going to be a full Magneto Origin film. In other words there would have been a full film devoted to Magneto Nazi Hunter which appears to be a lot of people's favorite part of the film. Instead they never got their mess together and crammed into X-Men First Class.

This movie could be used as evidence as to why Marvel should get the rights to Logan back.

So my question is should I even bother with "The Wolverine"?

I actually thought that Origins was slightly better than Wolverine - some scenes in the latest movie will have you laughing on the floor, like the absolutely idiotic "ninjas", which incidentally people laughed at in the theater, and some of the CGI-heavy sequences like the moronic bullet train part with normal humans doing flips, fighting and jumping obstacles at 200+ mph.

And while not near as bad as the Mandarin BS, the Silver Samurai movie version was really lame, and I was very disappointed in the Logan-Mariko sex-up in the movie. In the comics, it's a sweet romance, designed to offset Wolvie's violent temperament, while in the movie, they meet, he slides her the salami, and the takes off on the next train out of there. :insane:

And man, those ninja scenes will live with me forever, they are that bad. doh!

Oh oh....I didn't see the movie in theatres but I just bought the DVD....

I actually thought X-Men first class was the best X movie,and thought they did a great job on Magnetos origins.What do I know......? (shrug)

I liked it too.

+ 2

And when he forces the knife towards the bartender and then back - what a special effect!

Thanks for the link.

I'm ordering it today :)

The ONLY good thing I took out of the Wolverine:Origins movie was Liev Shreiber's portrayal of Sabertooth. The rest of the movie (especially Deadpool) felt rushed and not enough of a Gambit back story. They missed on a lot of opportunities!

I though Shreiber really captured the tone of the character well. Ryan Reynolds was perfect as Wade Wilson.

Shreiber was good, until they made him run on all fours a-la Teen Wolf.

And Ryan Reynolds was a great start at Wade, but the thing at the end wasn't Deadpool.

I agree. The first half or less was decent. The second part of the movie = :sick: Why did they have to take so many liberties with "Deadpool"? Seriously... he has SWORDS that come out of his arms, he has Cyclops power, teleportation and is computer controlled?! :roflmao: Why? Ryan Reynolds was amazing as Wade Wilson though. I really hope they bring him back in any future appearances of the character. :wishluck:

I haven't seen the "new" Wolverine yet. (shrug)

I liked it too.

+ 2

Thanks for the link.

I'm ordering it today :)

Well worth the expense. A nice foundational introduction to some of the key X-Men characters mixed in with new intros.

I liked it too.

+ 2

Thanks for the link.

Every time I have tried to share this scene with someone to explain how good it really is, all I can find are the Youtube samples that were poorly copied.

This one is spot-on, and presents very nicely. Even the parts of the Argentina bar scene start and stop at the right points.

:applause:

But it's pretty easy to do one of these prequel/origin stories as you have the pick of the litter in terms of "cool scenes", like a greatest hits album of the past 50 years.

The forthcoming movies are much more difficult, as you have to actually create a plot and rekindle audience interest that was otherwise occupied with the "new" characters and origin.

I agree it was the best X-Men movie...though that's not saying too much IMHO.

Wow I must be easy to please....

the average movie goer

To say X-men first class is the best compared to whatever is like me saying I am not "short" compared to the other Asian men...Yes, I am Asian and I am short compared to the average PERSON...it is a reality.

so X-men first class is ok in my book but once you go away from Xavier, Magneto and Mystic/Banshee/Beast....what you have left is a whole lot of garbage with the White Queen (perhaps the biggest pile of of acting there) and the rest of the characters. I have seen it once and there is no reason to see it again and that is where X-men first class sit in my book along with the rest of much worse movies like X-men 3. It is better than X-men 3, no argument there but not so much better I care to see more than once.

But it's pretty easy to do one of these prequel/origin stories as you have the pick of the litter in terms of "cool scenes", like a greatest hits album of the past 50 years.

The forthcoming movies are much more difficult, as you have to actually create a plot and rekindle audience interest that was otherwise occupied with the "new" characters and origin.

It will be interesting how some of these characters do in the next movie (X-Men: DoFP). Especially mixed in with the majority of the original movie actors.

Although I pictured Magneto in a different way (SOT talks of Richard Gere in his white-hair stage of life), I really like Michael Fassbender's representation of Magneto at a younger age.

It's kind of like Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher. Although the character is 6'5" in the books, Cruise did such an amazing job delivering on the role, even the author got on board with backing him.

It's kind of like Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher. Although the character is 6'5" in the books, Cruise did such an amazing job delivering on the role, even the author got on board with backing him.

You had me right up to that point.

Cruise didn't do a bad job, but Reacher's size, strength and intimidation factor are base elements of his character, like his age, gender, etc. - it's not something you can really change drastically and keep the character true. Half of each book is explaining, demonstrating or providing flashbacks about what a freakishly big/strong/unstoppable monster Reacher is.

Liam Neeson would have been much better.

Because of this, some scenes were laughable, like Cruise's street fight with 5 guys and places where Reacher is supposed to be physically intimidating or imposing in the book, and 5"6" Cruise strolls in and everyone backs up. :tonofbricks:

It was still an okay movie, it just wasn't a Jack Reacher movie, and with disappointing results and any sequels cancelled, Cruise effectively killed the movie franchise.

Weird sychroncity, but I was just finishing up the Wolverine video game based on Origins, which basically follows the movie's plot.

It was better as a game than a movie, that's for sure. Why they needed to make the weird deadpool with no mouth thing at the end is beyond me.

Weird sychroncity, but I was just finishing up the Wolverine video game based on Origins, which basically follows the movie's plot.

Actually, the game and its plot were much better than the movie. The game was actually kinda fun and is probably my favorite movie adaptation.

Ugh, Decaprio as the Massive ex-Marine Teddy Daniels in Shutter Island.