• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE TRIAL AND TRIUMPH OF ONE NEWTSAMSON:MAN OF MYSTERY

118 posts in this topic

Since the polygraph was created by the same man who created Wonder Woman, your comic book connections will make you immune to any misfortune.

893applaud-thumb.gif More ETTA candy! I think she made a return in the current storyline? And she didn't look like the Etta of long ago? what's up with that?

Ipcrest File with Sir Michale Cainn.

I think you meant "IPCRESS FILE WITH SIR MICHAEL CAINE"...

That has to be the worst spelled post I've seen. insane.gif

And you call yourself The Brain??? 893naughty-thumb.gif

Apparently they do call you The Brain for nothing. 27_laughing.gif

Wow, four months late to the party with THAT joke, weren't you?

Since the polygraph was created by the same man who created Wonder Woman, your comic book connections will make you immune to any misfortune.

893applaud-thumb.gif More ETTA candy! I think she made a return in the current storyline? And she didn't look like the Etta of long ago? what's up with that?

I can't help but love a man who appreciates Ms. Candy!

Perez changed her when he revamped WW, and people have been messing with her ever since. Loebs even made her anorexic. NO appreciation for history! As if comics are crying out for more painfully skinny women characters! Etta was unique and should remain excessively short, fat, and with more courage than three men.

But I digress. FBI lie detector. Tell the truth. It's the best choice.

-- Joanna

Apparently they do call you The Brain for nothing. insane.gif

Apparently they do call you The Brain for nothing. insane.gif

Wow, twenty-four months and fourteen days late to the party with THAT joke, weren't you?

Never seen the movie, but now my interest is piqued? Michael Caine... he was awesome in Blame it on Rio crazy.gif27_laughing.gif

The Ipcress File, which was followed by two sequels (Funeral In Berlin and Billion Dollar Brain) is a downbeat spy thriller featuring Harry Palmer (Caine) - a low-rent James Bond with scruples (from the same company that brought you Bond, in fact).

The Ipcress File is definitely worth a look, although it may seem a little slow for today's audiences. I had a long argument with a friend from California a couple of days ago - basically he thought that all those Brit flicks (Ipcress, Get Carter, Italian Job, etc.) from the 60s to the late '70s were too downbeat and lacked pace. I think they're all worth a look as you get a real idea as to how dowdy and grim post-war Britain really was, up until the '80s. Plus Caine was great.

"...(Ipcress, Get Carter, Italian Job, etc...."

So if I wait a bit longer, they may make a remake with Clive Owen in Caine's stead? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Owen would do better as Bond than Harry Palmer......but you never know. In the meantime seek out Ipcress and the first sequel Funeral In Berlin - it makes any David Mamet or Christopher Nolan film seem transparent by comparison.

I may be wrong, but I believe Mike Myers based Austin Power's father's character on Harry Palmer, which is one reason he was so stoked that Michael Caine played the character in his film.

Harry Palmer was far from the pseudo-hip looney that Myers portrayed - if anything Palmer has more in common with John Constantine. Austin Powers was more a composite '60s English dandy based on tacky Brit exploitation flicks and T.V. shows such as The Persuaders and Jason King.

Caine was maybe THE '60s English actor - which was why Myers wanted him for his Powers films.

Never seen the movie, but now my interest is piqued? Michael Caine... he was awesome in Blame it on Rio crazy.gif27_laughing.gif

The Ipcress File, which was followed by two sequels (Funeral In Berlin and Billion Dollar Brain) is a downbeat spy thriller featuring Harry Palmer (Caine) - a low-rent James Bond with scruples (from the same company that brought you Bond, in fact).

The Ipcress File is definitely worth a look, although it may seem a little slow for today's audiences. I had a long argument with a friend from California a couple of days ago - basically he thought that all those Brit flicks (Ipcress, Get Carter, Italian Job, etc.) from the 60s to the late '70s were too downbeat and lacked pace. I think they're all worth a look as you get a real idea as to how dowdy and grim post-war Britain really was, up until the '80s. Plus Caine was great.

I thought was a more realistic look at what it was like to be a British spy in 1960's. thumbsup2.gif

Haven't seen the sequels yet, though.

I may be wrong, but I believe Mike Myers based Austin Power's father's character on Harry Palmer, which is one reason he was so stoked that Michael Caine played the character in his film.

Harry Palmer was far from the pseudo-hip looney that Myers portrayed - if anything Palmer has more in common with John Constantine. Austin Powers was more a composite '60s English dandy based on tacky Brit exploitation flicks and T.V. shows such as The Persuaders and Jason King.

Caine was maybe THE '60s English actor - which was why Myers wanted him for his Powers films.

No, you misunderstand. Not Austin Powers, but the character of Austin's dad was based on Harry Palmer. Mike Myers and his own father used to watch 60's British spy films together -- they were his dad's most loved films. And of all of them, Harry Palmer was his dad's favorite. So when Mike decided to bring in the father of Austin, he based the character on Harry Palmer. He asked Michael Caine to play the role and Michael said yes. Myers considered the whole thing as a paeon to his father, and getting Caine to play the pseudo-Harry role was the ultimate coup.

-- Joanna

No, you misunderstand. Not Austin Powers, but the character of Austin's dad was based on Harry Palmer. Mike Myers and his own father used to watch 60's British spy films together -- they were his dad's most loved films. And of all of them, Harry Palmer was his dad's favorite. So when Mike decided to bring in the father of Austin, he based the character on Harry Palmer. He asked Michael Caine to play the role and Michael said yes. Myers considered the whole thing as a paeon to his father, and getting Caine to play the pseudo-Harry role was the ultimate coup.

-- Joanna

Sorry Joanna, I got my wires crossed there. sorry.gif Not exactly shagadelic.