• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wrightson books?

19 posts in this topic

Anyone own any of the Berni Wrightson compilation books like "A Look Back", "Reaper of Love", "Back for More", "Badtime Stories" or "Frankenstein"? I recently picked up Reaper of Love and it's great. I would love to get my hands on A Look Back, but they come up infrequently on EBay in paperback....the HB is not in my price range. Anyone have a favorite among these or have other suggestions?

A Look Back is classic, must have stuff.

The Studio book is also worthwhile if you can find it for a decent price.

Frankenstein is Wrightson's masterpiece. Absolutely unbelievable.

I agree on all counts! thumbsup2.gif

Try any compilation book on the pen/ink artist Franklin Booth who illustrated vintage American mags like Colliers circa 1910 to 1930. Bud Plant should have some on sale still. Would say Booth & Frazetta were Wrightson's 2 biggest artistic influences. thumbsup2.gif

Don't forget Graham Ingels...

I agree with Rob. "Ghastly" looks to me like far more of an influence on Wrightson than Booth or Frazetta. Although, I think it depends heavily on which Wrightson works you are looking at... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I will check them all out. I was actually going to ask about Frazetta too. Any good compilations of his work out there? The only ones I have seen are collections of his paintings and pin-ups. I would be more interested in a collection of complete stories he did the art for. Any good ones?

I do like his stuff....although as far as EC artists go Johnny Craig will always be the man in my book.

The point of me mentioning Ingels was his stated influence on Wrigthson.

I do like his stuff....although as far as EC artists go Johnny Craig will always be the man in my book.

The point of me mentioning Ingels was his stated influence on Wrigthson.

Yeah I know, I was just saying. confused-smiley-013.gif

I will check them all out. I was actually going to ask about Frazetta too. Any good compilations of his work out there? The only ones I have seen are collections of his paintings and pin-ups. I would be more interested in a collection of complete stories he did the art for. Any good ones?

Icon, Legacy and Testament are excellent Fritz books. Those are probably what you're referring to when you're talking about his "paintings and pinups," though.

I don't believe there are any legit compilations of his comic work as it was spread out over several publishers.

There are some very impressive pieces that were dropped from the finished book. I've never actually seen that "Lost Frankenstein Pages" book, but in A Look Back he discusses a little bit of the process and why certain plates were cut.