• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you pop just one staple?

13 posts in this topic

I've never even as a kid accidently popped out a staple so I can't imagine how this is accomplished. If you hold the book by only the cover and shake the book I'd expect both staples to give way after a couple tries but why do so many older books have a single staple popped?

They were pressed too hard.

but can they be un-popped by a proper pressing? and what is the scientific terminology given that cockling/decockling, pebbling/depebbling, facejobbing/un-facejobbing have been taken?

Tucker. Or less polite: a 'papertucker'.

A slight parting, fingering the folds a bit, then, when the time's right... tuck it.

And afterward, don't go bragging all over town. Keep it to yourself.

I've never even as a kid accidently popped out a staple so I can't imagine how this is accomplished. If you hold the book by only the cover and shake the book I'd expect both staples to give way after a couple tries but why do so many older books have a single staple popped?

Weakness in the paper? (shrug)

One staple stapled a little too hard causing stress on the paper underneath? (shrug)

Stacking.

When a stack of comics is moved, they often shift to one side, putting stress on the top or bottom staple.

RIP!

Thanks for the info. I guess newer books are mostly in at least bags so that's why newer books rarely have staple pops. Learn something new every day.

Stacking.

When a stack of comics is moved, they often shift to one side, putting stress on the top or bottom staple.

RIP!

Thanks for the info. I guess newer books are mostly in at least bags so that's why newer books rarely have staple pops. Learn something new every day.

Yep, back in the day, people used to actually read these things.

Some books have the defect more often than others where it more than likely may be a production issue as well.

Batman 222 is a great example.

Yep.

ASM 62 is another.

Mostly, it is a production defect. Except when it is not.