• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Graphic Madness!

10 posts in this topic

Skyrocketing Graphic Novel Prices.

As some of you know I pay a great deal to market trends with regards to CGC graded books.

Recently there were very high grade (CGC 9.8) issues of Marvel Graphic Novels selling on E-bay. I was a little curious as to where the prices might settle since I use the info to gauge whether to submit some of my own books for slabbing in order to

take advantage if the prices are trending high.

Below is a list of actual prices realized, some of which seemed to even shock the pants off of yours truly.

#2 Elric The Dreaming City (3 bids) $109.00

#3 Dreadstar (3 bids) $265.00

#4 The New Mutants (12 bids) $536.88 (no surprise on this one).

#15 Raven Banner (3 bids) $134.77 (definite surprise)

#17 Revenge of the Living Monolith (2 bids) $158.05 Wow!

#18 She Hulk (6 bids) $290.00 (big surprise)

#23 Doctor Strange (4 bids) $179.77

#29 Hulk & The Thing (3 bids) $102.50 (thought this would go higher.

NN Avengers the Vault (3 bids) $109.49

NN Wolverine Bloody Choices (57 bids) $332.77 by far biggest surprise due to the number of bids placed on this issue.

Overall I think that this was a huge shot in the arm and motivation for anyone that collects Graphic Novels whether high or mid grade as prices will also rise for reader copies at some point or another.

Thanks for reading,

A~

15062.jpg

See more journals by Dre

Yeah, I was in on most of these, being a big collector of MGNs. I have to say that I was incredulous at the majority of the final prices that these went for.

I placed bids on the She Hulk, the doctor Strange, the Arena, the Ravens Banner, etc...

But even at my max bids of over $150, I wasn't even close to the final prices. The Elric (#2) actually went for over $200.

I'm not sure what has caused this almost instantaneous rush to acquire high grade copies of these. I can understand #4, being the first appearance of the New Mutants, who I am also a collector of, but some of these others leave me scratching my head.

I guess I may have acquired my copies during a time of no one really paying attention to these. I previously purchased two different 9.8 copies of #4 for $205 and $250. So $536 for this copy was pretty amazing!

You didn't mention the Amazing Spiderman Parallel Lives MGN, which went for $154. I got my 9.8 copy off of Ebay last year for $67 and have since had Alex Saviuk sign it, so it is now SS 9.8! I have a total of like $95 in it! Makes me wonder what it would sell for now.

And the Avengers copy really blew me away. I think I just got lucky on it, because while this copy went for $110, I got my 9.8 copy off of Ebay for 27!!!!!! However, I think the reason for that was because the seller had it in the title of the auction as 9.6 when it was actually 9.8!

The only reason I didn't go after the #2 is because I have a beautiful raw copy of it that was given to me by my brother, Tnerb. I am waiting for a sig opportunity on it.

Tnerb also gave me a copy of #34, Cloak and Dagger, which I had Tom DeFalco sign in Baltimore while we were there. It came back SS 9.8!! Again, I can only imagine what it would have sold for yesterday!

I am not going to part with any of my graphic novels, because I would love to eventually have a full set in 9.8, but that's a tall order. Especially with them all of a sudden going for such high prices!

I will be dutifully watching what happens with them from now on...

I'm not sure what has caused this almost instantaneous rush to acquire high grade copies of these. I can understand #4, being the first appearance of the New Mutants, who I am also a collector of, but some of these others leave me scratching my head.

I think you singlehandedly drove interest, and subsequently the price, in these. At least you got a lot of them before others started following your lead. :)

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

Great, Give Bagofleas a big head, Ill never hear the end of it now.

At the end of the day, the graphic novels are great books. I would have like the thing and hulk one, but at the moment I am on the boundaries of a major life decision. I might jump on the graphic novel bandwagon but there are a few other things out there I would rather have, like pancakes...chocolate chip pancakes.

I guess maybe another part of the reason for the increased interest is that last year I gave Nicole and Gemma a list of all of the MGNs after the numbered copies and had them added to the MGN set category.

Up until then, there was nowhere on the registry to input or show off these now high priced lovelies!! So access to presentation may be an influence as well.

In any case, I'm glad that others share my interest in these, many of which are extremely difficult to obtain in graded form. Maybe with this peak of interest, there will be more of them submitted and as a result, more available for purchase, driving the supply and demand down some and making them a little cheaper to obtain.

Were these MGNs all from the same seller, and/or listed in close proximity together? If they were all from the same seller, maybe there was the effect of seeing all these books together from the same person that drove the high prices.

I'm diggin' the MGNs, lots of cool covers, the books do have a presence about them. Seeing these thick books, awesome covers and the prestige of high grades make for interesting collectibles. :headbang: