• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disappointed - Feedback

34 posts in this topic

My goal is to submit one comic per pay. Just to get them preserved. I'm not a very good collector - I really have beaten the out most all my comics.

You do NOT need to slab books to preserve them. Just buy good quality bags and boards.

Also, if you've beaten the out of them, what exactly are you preserving them against?

Seriously, if you send in one book a day of the type/condition you've mentioned so far, you'll be wasting a lot of money.

+ 1

Yeah, it's the OP's money to do with as he pleases but this smacks of throwing money down the drain.

Sorry if that comes across as mean. I guess I just look at it as you could be putting that cash to far more productive use. (shrug)

Sorry if that comes across as mean. I guess I just look at it as you could be putting that cash to far more productive use. (shrug)

It's not really that much money though. Especially, since most of the books are considered Modern (except for the Dark Phoenix Saga issues I have), and they have sentimental value. I'm trying to wall to wall my gaming room with CGC comics to really bring out the nerd of the Geek Chic "Emissary" gaming table I just put a reserve payment on. I'm buying up some CGC stuff on Ebay that I see, too.

The #101 was a let down because it would start the Dark Phoenix wall collection set and the Peter Parker comic was a gift... and now it's a pretty crappy gift.

I'm just sad. Maybe my next ones will be better, even if they are not, that's okay. If I do hit a comic I am hoping for a high grade on I'll make sure to ask on the forums for some feedback. I do have an X-Men #135 to send out for a grade, which was a holiday present.

Also, if you've beaten the out of them, what exactly are you preserving them against?

Seriously, if you send in one book a day of the type/condition you've mentioned so far, you'll be wasting a lot of money.

I'm preserving them against my dog and the comics I am sending in are the ones I care about and want graded. If they look really beat up, I won't send them in.

The CGC cost isn't really a big deal to me, honestly. The only thing I was mad at was the original costs of what I purchased. Most all my comics were purchased at their cost price a long time ago.

Is everyone mean on these forums? Wow.

WTTB's! You are finding out what many of us have seen. You will get your best answers quickly, and then your post will dissolve into something akin to a Junior High School lunchroom. For some reason, many of the older posters seem to get irritated that a question is asked that they know the answer to, and they resent that, so they phrase all responses like the original poster (OP) is stupid. Many of us still hang in there, but unfortunately the rudeness probably runs off some new hopefuls. Don't let them run you off!

I'm preserving them against my dog and the comics I am sending in are the ones I care about and want graded. If they look really beat up, I won't send them in.

The CGC cost isn't really a big deal to me, honestly. The only thing I was mad at was the original costs of what I purchased. Most all my comics were purchased at their cost price a long time ago.

This is mean? Seriously. Sounds like some good advice. (shrug)

WTTB's! You are finding out what many of us have seen. You will get your best answers quickly, and then your post will dissolve into something akin to a Junior High School lunchroom. For some reason, many of the older posters seem to get irritated that a question is asked that they know the answer to, and they resent that, so they phrase all responses like the original poster (OP) is stupid. Many of us still hang in there, but unfortunately the rudeness probably runs off some new hopefuls. Don't let them run you off!

This was aimed at me? I don't get it.

Certainly wasn't intended to be mean. (shrug)

Hyperbole much?

*sips Russian tea*

-slym

I got run off once... where was I? ... let's see... there was a round round room... everything was painted whited (or, was it white, and then painted clear? Or was I clearly not there, and painted white? Am I white? More creamy, actually... But, I digress... where was I?) Oh, yes... round round room, white, here not there but present and accounted for... getting run off... round round room...

A 9.6 is only a 9.6 if a 9.4 is less and a 9.8 is more, but an 8.5 can never be a 9.6 unless the weight of the world strikes a pose, rests heavy, and leaves no trace... Are we clear?

Certainly wasn't intended to be mean. (shrug)

Everyone has been nice and helpful. A great change of pace.

if I may offer a word of advice. I had the same experience with submitting through a 3rd party. What I took from it was this.

My personal books are just that ... Personal. I wont bother having them slabbed. But for collecting I Prefer buying slabs. I let someone else take the gamble. The best part of this method is I know Exactly what I am getting.

Books from the flee market and ebay are now my readers. nothing more. It has saved me a lot of heart ache and it costs less this way so I can buy more books ! :)

I completely agree with this. While there are many many helpful people on this board there are also a lot of individual_without_enough_empathys that think they are funny, when someone is just trying to get an answer to a question.

We all go through it. There's been very few people on here that have not been disappointed with their first submission and discovered that their collection is many times not slab-worthy. With time you either accept the fact that you like comics to read and forget encapsulation, and probably take better care of them, or you become anal-retentive and think every book you buy will be CGC graded. Most people are a combination. These boards are a good place to learn how to grade and there are tools out there that give you an idea of what the market value is of a given book - use everything you have at your disposal. With time, you won't be surprised much with your submissions.

\

Yeah I swear my 9.4 Incredible Hulk 181 was a 9.6,and my 9.4 WWBN 32 was a 9.2. doh! Man was I disappointed.

Just learn to grade,check out the PGM thread too!

When I first sent in books for grading about a year ago, I did 10 books, and I picked books with varying degrees of bends/creases/spine ticks etc. I did that to help myself learn how a book is downgraded based on the type of defects it had. I think it was a HUGE help right off the bat for someone just starting out. The book ranges came back anywhere from a 7.5 - 9.8

As someone said its the cost of learning the hobby. I would suggest taking before and after pictures of the book so you can look them over once you get the grades as well.