• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pics of rarer comic book and TPB editions

28 posts in this topic

I had to take pics of my rarer and/or valuable comic collections for insurance purposes so I thought I might as well post some of them up for fellow Boardies who fancy these kind of sets. These are not all of my sets as I have a bunch more but these are the ones I would think are most interesting. Sorry in advance for some bad pics but between my old camera, bad lighting and the crummy photographer some are a little off. I am creating a post for every set just to make my comments easier to follow. Feel free to post your own pics as the more the merrier!

Although these are not especially rare getting a complete set together in decent condition is tough as they are generally cheaply produced. Included in the middle of the 1st pic is one of the Modern 3 Paks and the Voltron mini-series that came out in the 80's. The 2nd pic has the Marvel Super Special Battlestar Galactica treasury that was distributed by Modern.

DSC00789_zps860524e8.jpg

DSC00792_zps0f305f5b.jpg

The 1st pic includes the Man of Steel contest edition (with award letter), the Birth of the Demon Special Promotional Copy and a Double Action #1 mock up comic (this has nothing to do with this set but I included it as it was with them).

The 2nd pic has the Return of Superman Platinum edition and the 1992 3 volume set of Marvel retailer exclusive TPBs which consist of all the comics Marvel published in June 1992 minus the covers.

DSC00797_zps12c2f3dd.jpg

DSC00798_zpsc459b399.jpg

I am only missing the rare Unity TPBs for a complete set of these.

The 1st pic has the Amethyst #1 35 cent variant, JL test cover and the Lightning Racers glossy cover promo.

The 2nd pic has the Amethyst #2 35 cent variant, Firestorm test cover and a Wings prop comic used in the Empire of the Sun movie.

DSC00804_zps1bd050b5.jpg

DSC00802_zpsb72ab8bb.jpg

The 1st pic has two of the Pressman editions, an X-Men Classic blank UPC error? and an X-Factor #38 $1.50 pricing error.

The 2nd pic has the other two Pressman, the regular $1.00 X-Factor #38 and the much talked about logo variant of Uncanny X-Men #302.

DSC00808_zps679907d2.jpg

DSC00806_zps527ddbb9.jpg

Does your Hulk 140 have a double cover? I had two sets of the vintage books. I sold one with the double cover #140, which I didn't realize until packing it up :facepalm: and I can't seem to find my second copy.

I checked but no mine only has the single cover. Sorry to hear you sold it by accident... I don't have a dupe or else I'd send you it.

Does your Hulk 140 have a double cover? I had two sets of the vintage books. I sold one with the double cover #140, which I didn't realize until packing it up :facepalm: and I can't seem to find my second copy.

I checked but no mine only has the single cover. Sorry to hear you sold it by accident... I don't have a dupe or else I'd send you it.

Thanks for the info and thanks for the offer. I have another copy someplace, just no idea where it is. Chances are it's a single cover. The one I sold went to a good home, though, so I'm not too bummed about it.

Thanks for the info and thanks for the offer. I have another copy someplace, just no idea where it is. Chances are it's a single cover. The one I sold went to a good home, though, so I'm not too bummed about it.

After you first mentioned it a while back, I checked mine...single cover.

The 1st pic has two of the Pressman editions, an X-Men Classic blank UPC error? and an X-Factor #38 $1.50 pricing error.

The 2nd pic has the other two Pressman, the regular $1.00 X-Factor #38 and the much talked about logo variant of Uncanny X-Men #302.

DSC00808_zps679907d2.jpg

DSC00806_zps527ddbb9.jpg

I STILL haven't found a 302. :sorry:

After you first mentioned it a while back, I checked mine...single cover.

Thanks!

DSC00808_zps679907d2.jpg

DSC00806_zps527ddbb9.jpg

Have we ever decided where the 302 variant came from? I'm still going with a toy, but that's just because I'm obstinate.

DSC00808_zps679907d2.jpg

DSC00806_zps527ddbb9.jpg

Have we ever decided where the 302 variant came from? I'm still going with a toy, but that's just because I'm obstinate.

I think the majority of the people seeking the answer seem to think it was a printing error. The xmen classic book kind of makes a good case for this. I'm hoping more books will come forward with the same error.

Although these are not especially rare getting a complete set together in decent condition is tough as they are generally cheaply produced. Included in the middle of the 1st pic is one of the Modern 3 Paks and the Voltron mini-series that came out in the 80's. The 2nd pic has the Marvel Super Special Battlestar Galactica treasury that was distributed by Modern.

DSC00789_zps860524e8.jpg

DSC00792_zps0f305f5b.jpg

Your Modern Comics set isn't complete without:

Modern Promotions Treasury Comics

Example...

nn_Giant_Comic_Album_Beetle_Bail-1.jpg

Giant Comic Album - Barney Google and Snuffy Smith #nn

Giant Comic Album - Beetle Bailey #nn

Giant Comic Album - Blondie #nn

Giant Comic Album - Flash Gordon #nn

Giant Comic Album - Henry #nn

Giant Comic Album - Katzenjammer Kids #nn

Giant Comic Album - Little Iodine #nn

Giant Comic Album - Mandrake the Magician #nn

Giant Comic Album - Popeye #nn

Archie rebound comics (interiors may be different and price variants are known to exist)

Example...

MC_nnA_Giant_Spectacular_Comics_400px_zps5ca5d9dd.jpg

Giant Grab Bag Comics #nn

Giant Spectacular Comics #nn

Triple Giant Comics #nn

World of Giant Comics #nn (98¢ & $1.25 price versions confirmed to exist)

Voltron Canadian Price variants.

1-3 reported to exist. I don't own any.

DG