• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Pedigree Hierarchy?

222 posts in this topic

And just cause its on my screen and i love it :D . Starts to make me think, i really dont even remember the last time ive bought a SA hulk book hmm

scan0076.jpg

Not enough paper trail, for lack of better words. Like the Slobodian Collection,

minus the the controversies that Calvin encountered (or brought upon himself) with adding plausible books post date his collection and trimming.

Why's that? They did issue certificates. Or at least I have one for my FF 38.

From what I understood from Calvin, was that even though there were some certs issued by both Calvin and Conrad, their negligence upon keeping ALL of their individual sales records when they sold books off piecemeal prior to CGC hurt them. It was not concrete enough data for CGC recognize them. Conrad's more so this - where Calvin had this and the other controversies.

Even though the depth or spread of their collections were grand, especially compared to many of our post 2000 SA pedigrees.

I for one, know I jump on the band wagon accusing CGC of slapping Pedigrees on any old collection as of late - but I must say they were thorough on their homework with these two collections. Because again the amount of books and QUALITY of some of the key runs were insane - but even so CGC would not authorize these to get Pedigree credentials.

CGC was very industrious and or there is more scuttlebutt to these collections than we know.

Not enough paper trail, for lack of better words. Like the Slobodian Collection,

minus the the controversies that Calvin encountered (or brought upon himself) with adding plausible books post date his collection and trimming.

In Conrad's case (Edenwald's) it might have been that the collection was a combination of Conrad's own newsstand purchases and the books he acquired from the family of the original owner. I think Conrad was still pretty young when he acquired the other guy's books. It might have been hard to tell where one part of the collection ended and the other began. But that's really just a partially educated guess. Not really sure.

I think some of Slobodian's books he told Borock he bought off the stands ended up having restoration, which begged the question of how much fibbing he did in terms of what he bought originally versus what he went back and filled in later.

I for one, know I jump on the band wagon accusing CGC of slapping Pedigrees on any old collection as of late - but I must say they were thorough on their homework with these two collections. Because again the amount of books and QUALITY of some of the key runs were insane - but even so CGC would not authorize these to get Pedigree credentials.

CGC was very industrious and or there is more scuttlebutt to these collections than we know.

I'm commenting on existing pedigrees here.....

When Mark Haspel was there, every individual book submitted as a Pedigree, was reviewed by Mark. If you submitted a Ped for grading and Mark was on vacation, you waited.

I'm not sure if the verification process is as thorough today. I would like to see the process improved. You should not get a pedigree on the label simply because you put it on the submission form. It seems like that's all it takes lately. I question the integrity of a lot of pedigree books = are they genuine or not.

From what I understood from Calvin, was that even though there were some certs issued by both Calvin and Conrad, their negligence upon keeping ALL of their individual sales records when they sold books off piecemeal prior to CGC hurt them. It was not concrete enough data for CGC recognize them. Conrad's more so this - where Calvin had this and the other controversies.

Even though the depth or spread of their collections were grand, especially compared to many of our post 2000 SA pedigrees.

Now granted these are not the HG keys or HG Marvel or DC books.

But coming from a Four Color/Dell fan, and collector of these two characters - in eight years time I've never held, let alone even seen these two books remotely look these.

Such hard books to find with the vibrance and gloss and not to mention minus the numerous spine ticks that usually in-company these.

Both Slobodian copies, excuse the iPhone pick for the latter.

FBCDAB08-2D6D-4934-9A46-7F2F744E0DA5_zpsnrxmycwk.jpg

7E05673D-81C9-482A-ABBD-6660D5BCC060_zpsinmy8uxp.jpg

I think some of Slobodian's books he told Borock he bought off the stands ended up having restoration, which begged the question of how much fibbing he did in terms of what he bought originally versus what he went back and filled in later.

Unfortunately, that is a valid notion.

When Mark Haspel was there, every individual book submitted as a Pedigree, was reviewed by Mark. If you submitted a Ped for grading and Mark was on vacation, you waited.

I'm not sure if the verification process is as thorough today. I would like to see the process improved. You should not get a pedigree on the label simply because you put it on the submission form. It seems like that's all it takes lately. I question the integrity of a lot of pedigree books = are they genuine or not.

cheetah said that he had submissions last year that did not receive the Church pedigree designation on all of the books he submitted and that had purchased from a large dealer (most of the books from that dealer did get the Ped on the label).

cheetah said that he had submissions last year that did not receive the Church pedigree designation on all of the books he submitted and that had purchased from a large dealer (most of the books from that dealer did get the Ped on the label).

Did they have the known Church coded markings on them?

Unfortunately, that is a valid notion.

There were several people who warned me in the 90s that Calvin had a hard time not "fixing" a color breaking stress if had a marker in his hand. It would not surprise me that there were books of his that he bought off the newsstand and that have resto. I have a few Slobs I bought back in the day and they are quite nice.

MIS56slobv2.jpg

TalesUnexp47.jpg

Probably not. I suspect that the majority of books in the Church collection don't.

I think namisgr (Bob) might still have the SNE catalog with all the Golden State books. He posted some scans on the boards at some point. The catalog probably has a pretty thorough listing of the collection, even if books sold before it was printed

Unfortunately, I don't. The oldest SNE catalog that I saved is from Winter, 1997 and lists all of the SA and much of the BA from the Winnipeg collection. The SNE Spring, 1998 catalog has remaining books from the Golden State collection (like the DDs), and the Fall, 1998 one lists some BA Golden State books.

So, I can't help with the mystery surrounding the GS copy of FF #1.

I think namisgr (Bob) might still have the SNE catalog with all the Golden State books. He posted some scans on the boards at some point. The catalog probably has a pretty thorough listing of the collection, even if books sold before it was printed

Unfortunately, I don't. The oldest SNE catalog that I saved is from Winter, 1997 and lists all of the SA and much of the BA from the Winnipeg collection. The SNE Spring, 1998 catalog has remaining books from the Golden State collection (like the DDs), and the Fall, 1998 one lists some BA Golden State books.

So, I can't help with the mystery surrounding the GS copy of FF #1.

Ah, bummer. I didn't realize the catalog only had part of the collection.

Probably not. I suspect that the majority of books in the Church collection don't.

No, they didn't, but they came from Metro and Stephen Fishler said they were Church copies and he probably knows best. I am supposed to send them to Metro and he will look at them again, I just haven't managed to get them packed yet.

First off.....I do not know anything about peds. I found a certificate that was included with a comic that I had bought. Few questions. What does this cert mean? Is this comic a ped? Should I keep this cert? I have seen Stan Lee file copy on some CGC labels. Is this comic one of those? I have quite a few comics with these certs. Thanks for any help.

6dce45590d48e73382f92ac8f32c6c83_zpsb7fe1dd9.jpg

No, no, and nothing.

Ok. What is it? Should I just toss it? :popcorn:

It just tells buyers a little backstory (provenance) about where and how your book came to be into your hands. Nothing too special, but it's kinda neat, about Marvel liquidating some of their archives and finding these Romance and War books.

Keep it in the bag behind your book.

First off.....I do not know anything about peds. I found a certificate that was included with a comic that I had bought. Few questions. What does this cert mean? Is this comic a ped? Should I keep this cert? I have seen Stan Lee file copy on some CGC labels. Is this comic one of those? I have quite a few comics with these certs. Thanks for any help.

6dce45590d48e73382f92ac8f32c6c83_zpsb7fe1dd9.jpg

No, no, and nothing.

Ok. What is it? Should I just toss it? :popcorn:

Only if you don't want it. It wasn't produced by Marvel, but by Lone Star/My Comic Shop as a sales tool.

If anyone has any information on the Northland books, the X-Men in particularly, I would love to have it. Any old scans, pictures, serial numbers from the CGC, certificates, page qualities, who owns what, or original sales lists would be fantastic. Anything to add to my ever growing file of information.

While we're here... I'm in the process of updating the list of key comics in major pedigrees. Here's the data that I have now. Please let me know if you see anything I'm missing:

http://roblarsen.github.io/-100k-club/silver-age-pedigrees.html

The Winnipeg Amazing Spider-Man #1 was a CGC 8.5 last time I saw it a decade ago.

Also, you seem to have White Mountain in your grid twice--once under the heading "WM" and again under the heading "WP". I thought at first one of them was "Western Penn," but the grades are the same all the way down the column, plus you have two "WP" column headers. Not sure if one is supposed to be Winnipeg and the other Western Penn or not. (shrug)