• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whats the comic book sceen in las vegas??

21 posts in this topic

hey yo,

can anyone discribe to me what the comic ook sceen in las vegas is like?? arethere stores that rock there? is there space for a new store to grow in vegas? is there a decent convention sceenthere ? like if you had to chose to open your dream comic book store or start your dream comic book convention there and you had to choise between new york city or las vegas what you pick and why?? thanks guys

the comicpimpvip out

hey yo,

can anyone discribe to me what the comic ook sceen in las vegas is like?? arethere stores that rock there? is there space for a new store to grow in vegas? is there a decent convention sceenthere ? like if you had to chose to open your dream comic book store or start your dream comic book convention there and you had to choise between new york city or las vegas what you pick and why?? thanks guys

the comicpimpvip out

You should probably focus more on school...

Hmm, I'll just go ahead and answer this question straight. I lived in Las Vegas from 2007-2011 and still keep up with some friends there.

The best shop there by far is Maximum Comics. They've opened their third branch recently, and actually base their business on sound principles like good customer service, a welcoming and friendly environment, and well-lit and clean store, etc. Employees and owner are knowledgeable and honest about books. Highest possible recommendation.

There are a couple of other shops that do pretty well for second place, depending on what you want:

o Comic Oasis on North Rainbow has the best selection of Modern back issues and Magic cards.

o Alternate Reality Comics over by UNLV probably has the best discount bins in town, and the owner is awesome. Good for new books too, usually prices variants at cover price.

o Cosmic Comics on East Flamingo has the best Bronze and Copper back issues. Owner not the friendliest, but knowledgable and willing to talk if you initiate.

There are some sub-par shops:

o I'm not sure if Wishing Well comics on W Charleston is still open, it was in decline when I left. New books get bent in wire racks, back issues pretty well picked over.

o Avatar Comics on South Rainbow is pretty bland. No real back issues, only popular new books. Very impersonal.

o Velvet Underground at Charleston and Decatur is awful. A lot of back issues but it's totally disorganized, some boxes are not for you to look through, all boxes are blocked by the owner's drum set and artifical trees from his interior decorating side job. Building looks like it's going to fall down, and a cat lives there (with litter pan) walking around on the comics. I guess that's better than rats. Owner is creepy.

One thing I noticed is a general lack of SIlver Age across the board. My assessment is that because so few people lived there pre-1980 there aren't many original owner collections. The only Silver Age books out there are those that collectors brought there, and those usually don't come up in any great quantities.

Also, the economy there took a huge hit in the real estate/mortgage collapse, and I'm not sure if it has recovered. I wouldn't try to open a shop there in the near future, seems like the existing shops pretty well soak up the available spending money.

ask desertwind?

hey yo,

the comicpimpvip out

What?

FYI we know Adam personally from the Clifton shows in Jersey and he is one of the nicest guys to talk to.

I have known Adam for 20 years. He is amazing! Both myself and the dealers at my shows will vouch for him. To find out more about him, go to www.northjersey.com the website for the biggest group of newspapers in northern NJ, and type "Adam Cerniglia" in the search box... a great article about him will come up. We all love him.

Kudos to the only blind comic book dealer in the world!

I was born and raised in Vegas, so maybe I could help you with your question. Overall, the comic book scene in Vegas seems to be hit or miss. There are plenty of comic shops, however, the convention scene is very limited. Last June, Vegas saw the biggest comic book convention to ever come to town. Stan Lee, Jim Lee, and Rob Liefeld were all there. Unfortunately, a lot of people were upset (including myself) with how poorly organized it was. I could probably make a list of things that were bad about it, and honestly, they should have had age restrictions for this event. From revealing costumes to an insanely vulgar stand up comedian, (why would they have a comedian there anyways?), this was definitely an R rated exhibition, and this is coming from a guy who grew up in Vegas.

The one thing I absolutely love about Vegas is that it's the perfect place for comic book hunters. There are always a lot of people selling comics on Craigslist, which increases your chances of finding something good for an unbeatable price. Anyways, hope this helps.

hey yo,

the comicpimpvip out

You should probably focus more on school...

His grammar is bad, because he's partially blind, and using a braille keyboard.

Oh, and to stay on topic: I'd open up my dream comic shop in New York City down on Pearl Street. The best looking cosplay girls hang out down there.

Oh, and to stay on topic: I'd open up my dream comic shop in New York City down on Pearl Street. The best looking cosplay girls hang out down there.
Picks, or it didn't happen. :baiting:

:cloud9:

i2fun.com-cute-hot-japanese-cosplay-015.jpg