• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis comics & how they grade

107 posts in this topic

Like others have said, don't buy raw if you want 9.8's, as that's really a CGC grade attained through pre-grading submissions, not something you can guarantee in the real world.

When you get down to NM or NM- or VF/NM (ie. real-world raw grades) I think Metro grades pretty well, but what bugs me about them is their proclivity to mis-grade books with one big flaw. I follow OS in this case, whereby an otherwise NM book gets jammed down hard due to a significant flaw. Metro seems to soft-grade these.

That's why I recommend asking for scans of any 9.X book you're thinking of ordering from Metro, as you will find some nice books, but also save yourself from a nasty surprise.

Just out of curiosity... has anyone ever gone back to comic book dealers and handed them more money when a book exceeded grading expectations?

I have had a book come back after buying it from Metropolis that was lower than expected. I have also had books come back from CGC after buying it from Metropolis that was higher than expected.

It happens.

Call them up, it is possible that something was missed or damage occurred in packing the books. Maybe they wanted to put fresh bags and boards on and bent the books placing them into the bag and board without realizing it.

Speak to them

Just out of curiosity... has anyone ever gone back to comic book dealers and handed them more money when a book exceeded grading expectations?

I have had a book come back after buying it from Metropolis that was lower than expected. I have also had books come back from CGC after buying it from Metropolis that was higher than expected.

It happens.

Call them up, it is possible that something was missed or damage occurred in packing the books. Maybe they wanted to put fresh bags and boards on and bent the books placing them into the bag and board without realizing it.

Speak to them

I said like 3 posts back that I already did all that and worked everything out

Like others have said, don't buy raw if you want 9.8's, as that's really a CG grade attained through pre-grading submissions, not something you can guarantee in the real world.

When you get down to NM or NM- or VF/NM (ie. real-world raw grades) I think Metro grades pretty well, but what bugs me about them is their proclivity to mis-grade books with one big flaw. I follow OS in this case, whereby an otherwise NM book gets jammed down hard due to a significant flaw. Metro seems to soft-grade these.

That's why I recommend asking for scans of any 9.X book you're thinking of ordering from Metro, as you will find some nice books, but also save yourself from a nasty surprise.

Good advice

The books looked good

But looking close almost all had color breaks

Maybe it was there when they shipped them maybe it happened while in transit. I have no clue. All I know is a book with multiple color breaks and scratches on the back cover isn't in the 9.6-9.8 range. I agree pre submission is the way to go when looking for 9.8 on a lot of books. That picture I took of just one comic is how 99% of the rest looked. I sent them back and hopefully should get a refund in a few days

It happens.

Speak to them

I have.

Color breaks just like finger prints can drop a book that without it would surely get a 9.8 to a 9.4 or lower

Fingerprints alone can knock a 9.8 down to a 9.4? Really? So, if I take a 9.8 or 9.6 out of slab, I can't touch it?

Wash your hands before. Best not to read a books you plan on having slabbed while eating fried chicken.

Color breaks just like finger prints can drop a book that without it would surely get a 9.8 to a 9.4 or lower

Fingerprints alone can knock a 9.8 down to a 9.4? Really? So, if I take a 9.8 or 9.6 out of slab, I can't touch it?

Wash your hands before. Best not to read a books you plan on having slabbed while eating fried chicken.

Or more appropriate for this crowd, using a non-water based lubricant.

exactly

Most of the books I had, had a black cover and grease, black covers don't mix

I almost bought a marvel graphic novel #4 for $15 looked pretty damn good had white pages and everything. Then I saw the back and it was covered in greasy finger prints doh!

Yeah - to me, with the rest of the book being 9.2, that book would be an 8.5 at best.

But I've got a lot of other correctly-graded comics from Metro, but there are always a few surprises with a "big defect" book that I really don't agree with.

Yeah - to me, with the rest of the book being 9.2, that book would be an 8.5 at best.

But I've got a lot of other correctly-graded comics from Metro, but there are always a few surprises with a "big defect" book that I really don't agree with.

I've purchased some pretty expensive GA books from them. they were posted as 9.0 and 9.2. they came back 9.2 and 9.4. I was very happy with those results.

Metro should prob save themselves the grief and use NM+/M or some other notation.

I went and checked today. I bought two books raw, both stated 9.8, and both did come back at that grade.

Well as you can see in the picture on the first page

Mine said 9.8 and they clearly weren't

So I just got a refund