• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis comics & how they grade

107 posts in this topic

I bought a raw GL #5 they sold as a Fine (6.0) a few years back. I thought the book looked like it had some potential so I got it pressed and graded. Much to my surprise, it came back a 7.5. Here are more results of some other raw book purchases from Metropolis that I sent in:

Teen Titans #14 double cover, sold as 8.0, came back 7.0, (inner 6.0, outer 7.0)

Strange Adventures #211, sold as 9.0, came back 9.4.

Batman #222, sold as 9.0, came back 9.0.

So you just never know, it can go both ways, but if I've ever felt uncomfortable with one of their books and their grades, they have been super in taking a book back and giving a full, prompt refund.

:juggle:

I went and checked today. I bought two books raw, both stated 9.8, and both did come back at that grade.

Well as you can see in the picture on the first page

Mine said 9.8 and they clearly weren't

So I just got a refund

Glad you got your money back.

Like others, I was simply adding my experience so a seller doesn't get pigeonholed by one experience.

I went and checked today. I bought two books raw, both stated 9.8, and both did come back at that grade.

So I just got a refund

Like others, I was simply adding my experience so a seller doesn't get pigeonholed by one experience.

...... I've never tried 9.8 with them...... but from Good to Very Fine plus , I've only retuned one book that was later slabbed at a higher grade than THEY called it :boo: ....... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Customer service is fantastic....... Brandon is 'DA BOMB.........

So I just got a refund

...... I've never tried 9.8 with them...... but from Good to Very Fine plus , I've only retuned one book that was later slabbed at a higher grade than THEY called it :boo: ....... GOD BLESS....

P.S. Customer service is fantastic....... Brandon is 'DA BOMB.........

Never worked with him but Jessica is really nice

Eitan is one of the best

So I just got a refund

(thumbs u

Guess just like any other internet site it's a toss up, some times you hit a home run and other times you strike out

I'm glad some people had good luck with their raw books

maybe it was a shipping thing with mine. No way to know

So I just got a refund

(thumbs u

Guess just like any other internet site it's a toss up, some times you hit a home run and other times you strike out

I'm glad some people had good luck with their raw books

maybe it was a shipping thing with mine. No way to know

9.8's are particularly tough...... they can be 9.8 coming out of the bag and a 9.4 after going back in. I'm VERY picky at that level and have only had a couple books that weren't brand new that I would call a 9.8....... GOD BLESS....

Just out of curiosity... has anyone ever gone back to comic book dealers and handed them more money when a book exceeded grading expectations?

I have had a book come back after buying it from Metropolis that was lower than expected. I have also had books come back from CGC after buying it from Metropolis that was higher than expected.

It happens.

Call them up, it is possible that something was missed or damage occurred in packing the books. Maybe they wanted to put fresh bags and boards on and bent the books placing them into the bag and board without realizing it.

Speak to them

I have.

x2

I would never buy a book with a color break thinking it was a 9.8 nor would I sell a book with a color break as a 9.8

I would never buy or sell a book as a 9.8, as that is a CGC-created grade. NM+ is the highest I'd go and with serious reservations.

I would never buy a book with a color break thinking it was a 9.8 nor would I sell a book with a color break as a 9.8

I would never buy or sell a book as a 9.8, as that is a CGC-created grade. NM+ is the highest I'd go and with serious reservations.

+ 1

+ 1

..... to the OP....... unsolicited advice department..... should you ever find yourself with an interest in very solid ulta cool 40's and 50's comic books...... especially in the Fine range...... give Metro another try.... it's money in the bank. GOD BLESS...

I have had phenomenal success buying bronze and silver age books from Metro, especially the raw Sucha books. I have never had to return a single book. Any issues I have ever had, all I had to do was make a phone call. That is all the OP had to do and any issue would have been resolved.

In all fairness, I don't buy books from retailers and I have no experience in Metro's offerings or service. They do appear to be generally highly-regarded as mentioned by some of our stalwart members above. :grin:

You guys all want to see an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_bookDetails.php?id=49358&enlarge=0

NM 9.4 right? Look and read closer. :tonofbricks:

Wow. That is ridiculous.

I assume they may have just left the Q (Qualified) off?

No, I think Metro just totally disregards major issues like that when it comes to assigning a grade. No "Q" I've ever seen either.