• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine Nabisco hits insane raw price

107 posts in this topic

I guess I won't be buying one anytime soon. I thought you guys said it was not worth more than 100-250. I could say that you are off the mark a little when it goes three times for close to a grand.... or now over it. Why doesn't someone else have any for sale? confused-smiley-013.gif

When is the next one coming up for sale? juggle.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Theres always a difference between what its worth and what some insufficiently_thoughtful_person is willing to pay for it.... 10_5_133.gif

Very true!

I got it from fellow forum user Beelzabub. I don't know if he has any more. I am going to sell it, but I haven't figured out a price yet confused-smiley-013.gif but just as a teaser... here's mine....

wolcgc.jpg

This cover reminds me of the Ghost Rider glow-in-the-dark skull cover. I imagine the Wolverine cover will be just as hot and sought after in 10 years as the Ghost Rider cover is nowadays. tonofbricks.gif

You compare this wolverine very rare gorgeous cover/semi-key comic with an wanabee speculative product of the 90's?!?! 893whatthe.gifinsane.giftonofbricks.gif

If within 10 years you have one or more comics of the nabisco varaint fell free to send me... 27_laughing.gifpopcorn.gif

Pedro;

Can't tell from your message here if you are actually serious with your comment or if this is just your sense of humour at work.

As you correctly stated, the Ghost Rider glow-in-the dark skull cover was nothing more than just a speculative gimmick product of the 90's. Without a doubt, this Wolverine variant cover is also just nothing more than a speculative gimmick product of 2004. Gorgeous is in the eyes of the beholder and I believe that both books would have equal claim to this indicator.

With respect to the book being of semi-key importance, I just don't see it with either of these books. With respect to the issue of rarity, I also don't see it with either one of these books, although the Wolverine variant issue would definitely have far fewer copies around in comparison to the Ghost Rider book. The only way the Wolverine issue would be rare, however, would be if you was trying to find one in 9.0 graded condition or lower. I imagine that virtually every copy around would be in high grade 9.4 condition or above.

Guess you are going to have to crunch and stomp on your copy a few times if you are looking for a truly rare copy. 27_laughing.gifscrewy.gifscrewy.gif

I got it from fellow forum user Beelzabub. I don't know if he has any more. I am going to sell it, but I haven't figured out a price yet confused-smiley-013.gif but just as a teaser... here's mine....

wolcgc.jpg

This cover reminds me of the Ghost Rider glow-in-the-dark skull cover. I imagine the Wolverine cover will be just as hot and sought after in 10 years as the Ghost Rider cover is nowadays. tonofbricks.gif

You compare this wolverine very rare gorgeous cover/semi-key comic with an wanabee speculative product of the 90's?!?! 893whatthe.gifinsane.giftonofbricks.gif

If within 10 years you have one or more comics of the nabisco varaint fell free to send me... 27_laughing.gifpopcorn.gif

Pedro;

Operation Extreme Redundancy is in Stage 2, Repeat, Stage 2

Can't tell from your message here if you are actually serious with your comment or if this is just your sense of humour at work.

As you correctly stated, the Ghost Rider glow-in-the dark skull cover was nothing more than just a speculative gimmick product of the 90's. Without a doubt, this Wolverine variant cover is also just nothing more than a speculative gimmick product of 2004. Gorgeous is in the eyes of the beholder and I believe that both books would have equal claim to this indicator.

With respect to the book being of semi-key importance, I just don't see it with either of these books. With respect to the issue of rarity, I also don't see it with either one of these books, although the Wolverine variant issue would definitely have far fewer copies around in comparison to the Ghost Rider book. The only way the Wolverine issue would be rare, however, would be if you was trying to find one in 9.0 graded condition or lower. I imagine that virtually every copy around would be in high grade 9.4 condition or above.

Guess you are going to have to crunch and stomp on your copy a few times if you are looking for a truly rare copy. 27_laughing.gifscrewy.gifscrewy.gif

wolcgc.jpg

Pedro;

Some of these rare modern comics reminds me of one of my cars grin.gif It's a very limited mustang ( around 1500- 2000 ever made ) that sold new for 30k 20 years ago. Now you can buy it for 500.00 - 6000.00. Basicaly what your typical used car goes for 893whatthe.gif

Interesting...look at the census numbers on this book.... gossip.gif

51 graded

10 restored

893whatthe.gif

Lantern;

Thanks for the link to the census number. thumbsup2.gif

Never realize that there were this many high grade copies out there. Imagine considering a book to be rare when there is already 40 unrestored high grade slabbed copies out there. Especially when there must be a lot more raw high grade copies out there just waiting to be slabbed. screwy.gif

I guess I wasn't that far off the mark when I said that the rare copy would be the non-high grade copy. Lucky person that owns the rare 8.5 copy since every other copy appears to be either a 9.6 or 9.8. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I told you what I got from flannery 5 copies = CGC 9.2, CGC 9.2, CGc 8.5, and two fine 6.0 copies

Why aren't the 6.0's you bought part of the census? They must be the REALLY rare ones!

stooges.gifdevil.gifpoke2.gif

I just realized from the quote of mine that it was vague - usually in discussing numerical grades of mixed company (slanned and unslabbed) I denote the slabbed grade with CGC prefix to it (CGC 9.2, CGC 8.5) but I might as well have called thew two 6.0s as FN copies but they were not slabbed due to heavy creases that broke color on the spine.

I would not say there are many high grades of this book compared to say, the Ghost Rider. The print run on this book was limited and many of the copies were damaged in transit to peeps mail boxes along with printing problems common to the black covers. 5 9.8's of 51 submitted isnt that many when i doubt there will be less than 125 of these actually graded in the end. The Ghost Rider is much more common and ultimately, if collectors actually cared enough about the book (which overall they dont) could yield hundreds of potential 9.6 to 9.8 slabbed copies. Once flannery runs out of his stock, i doubt you are gonna see this book for sale unslabbed on ebay very much unless its a copy the owner is prolly sure wont achieve 9.6 or better

I want the book my self but I'm not going to gamble a 1000.00 on it saying that it will out do some SA/GA key issues 10 years from now 893naughty-thumb.gif I'm taking my 1000.00 and gambling it on: "House of Secrets 92", Hulk 181, Marvel Preview # 5 and FF # 48 sometime around this January. Now if that Nabisco out does those books in 10 years I will take my hat off to it smirk.gif I know the Marvel preview will suck but it's for my personal collection and not an investment book. Although I'm sure 10 years from now it will out do a Nabisco or atleast give it a run for it's money smile.gif Also I'm not a HG buyer so this should allow me to buy those books on a grand 893crossfingers-thumb.gif Just my .02 of cr_p grin.gif

Sounds like you have given this some thought and from my experience, most likely making the right decision here.

Reminds me of my first SD Con back in the very early 90's. The hottest book of the year then was the limited Platinum retailer edition of Spidey #1 by Todd McFarlane. If you guys remember how big Todd was in those days along with Spidey, you'll realize how big, big, big and key this particular book was considered to be.

I remember a few of the Modern dealers had this book available at the Con and was touting it as the greatest thing to ever hit the comic book market. The going price for this book was the insane amount of $1K similar to the ridiculous $1K which the Wolverine Nabisco edition is going for nowadays. To me this was a no-brainer as I opted to spend my money on high grade copies of Captain America #29 and #31 instead. This costed me approx. $1K which was around guide price then as GA was not too popular due to the intense interest in Modern speculative books at the time. screwy.gif

Flash forward to 2004 and I guess I don't have to tell you which book(s) turned out to be a better buy. The limited Platinum edition of Spidey #1 now guides for only $100 and I am not even sure if you could get guide for it. The two Caps now guide for a combined total of over $5K and would have no problems fetching mutiples of guide. cloud9.gif

Bottom-line: You are definitely making the right choice here based upon historical trends, since investment quality books will almost always outperform Modern speculative books unless you are looking for nothing more than just a quick flip. gossip.gif

I want the book my self but I'm not going to gamble a 1000.00 on it saying that it will out do some SA/GA key issues 10 years from now 893naughty-thumb.gif I'm taking my 1000.00 and gambling it on: "House of Secrets 92", Hulk 181, Marvel Preview # 5 and FF # 48 sometime around this January. Now if that Nabisco out does those books in 10 years I will take my hat off to it smirk.gif I know the Marvel preview will suck but it's for my personal collection and not an investment book. Although I'm sure 10 years from now it will out do a Nabisco or atleast give it a run for it's money smile.gif Also I'm not a HG buyer so this should allow me to buy those books on a grand 893crossfingers-thumb.gif Just my .02 of cr_p grin.gif

Sounds like you have given this some thought and from my experience, most likely making the right decision here.

Reminds me of my first SD Con back in the very early 90's. The hottest book of the year then was the limited Platinum retailer edition of Spidey #1 by Todd McFarlane. If you guys remember how big Todd was in those days along with Spidey, you'll realize how big, big, big and key this particular book was considered to be.

I remember a few of the Modern dealers had this book available at the Con and was touting it as the greatest thing to ever hit the comic book market. The going price for this book was the insane amount of $1K similar to the ridiculous $1K which the Wolverine Nabisco edition is going for nowadays. To me this was a no-brainer as I opted to spend my money on high grade copies of Captain America #29 and #31 instead. This costed me approx. $1K which was around guide price then as GA was not too popular due to the intense interest in Modern speculative books at the time. screwy.gif

Flash forward to 2004 and I guess I don't have to tell you which book(s) turned out to be a better buy. The limited Platinum edition of Spidey #1 now guides for only $100 and I am not even sure if you could get guide for it. The two Caps now guide for a combined total of over $5K and would have no problems fetching mutiples of guide. cloud9.gif

Bottom-line: You are definitely making the right choice here based upon historical trends, since investment quality books will almost always outperform Modern speculative books unless you are looking for nothing more than just a quick flip. gossip.gif

Holy rip off Batman did he say 1k for the Plat Spider-man #1 893whatthe.gif

I just bought that book last month for 65.00 shipped 893applaud-thumb.gif I remember when it came out also but I was to busy saving up for a New GT bike wink.gif Heck I'm still waiting for the Gold edition of that comic w/UPC to come down laugh.gif I've always been a blue chipper type person and on top of one that LOVES old things cloud9.gif I still buy modern books but I try to keep my single spending limit on one book under 50.00. I guess I got a long ways to go before I get that USM # 5 or USM # 1 wht makepoint.gif

I still buy modern books but I try to keep my single spending limit on one book under 50.00. I guess I got a long ways to go before I get that USM # 5 or USM # 1 wht

If you are prepared to wait it out, no doubt you will be able to achieve this goal. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I still buy modern books but I try to keep my single spending limit on one book under 50.00. I guess I got a long ways to go before I get that USM # 5 or USM # 1 wht

If you are prepared to wait it out, no doubt you will be able to achieve this goal. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thats my plan wink.gif

This is the only way that seems logical to me. I have notice modern books on my list like USM #5 coming down in price in some auctions. So I hope I can pick a copy up pretty soon 893crossfingers-thumb.gif