• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insane Golden Age Tijuana Bible featuring Hitler

13 posts in this topic

This has to be one of the most offbeat pieces in my collection. It is a Tijuana Bible (AKA eight pager) entitled Hyme presents You Nazi Man, featuring Hitler. :o

Unfortunately, I cannot show all of the interior pages here due to their salacious nature.

I would date this piece to circa 1939

Front cover:

photo1_zps184d54e2.jpg

photo2_zps2e137191.jpg

photo3_zps9621dcb3.jpg

photo4_zpsebc0e576.jpg

photo5_zpsb76fc960.jpg

Feel free to PM for pix of the rest of the book.

An interesting piece, Stephen. I've never heard or seen this before but I think it's pre-war since there are references to his crimes on his own people and there's no mention of war with America or Britain.

An interesting piece, Stephen. I've never heard or seen this before but I think it's pre-war since there are references to his crimes on his own people and there's no mention of war with America or Britain.

True dat! Thanks Gary. (thumbs u

This has to be one of the most offbeat pieces in my collection. It is a Tijuana Bible (AKA eight pager) entitled Hyme presents You Nazi Man, featuring Hitler. :o

Unfortunately, I cannot show all of the interior pages here due to their salacious nature.

I would date this piece to circa 1942

Front cover:

photo1_zps184d54e2.jpg

photo2_zps2e137191.jpg

photo3_zps9621dcb3.jpg

photo4_zpsebc0e576.jpg

photo5_zpsb76fc960.jpg

Feel free to PM for pix of the rest of the book.

One of the problems with propaganda is that it can promote a wrong to try to get support of the masses. I find this particular item very offensive.

This and many other Tijuana Bibles are well documented in the book at the link below -- it's definitely an adults-only tome. Pretty easy to locate first or second-generation TB's on eBay, though the Hitler 16-pager example eccomic posted is more difficult to locate. It's offensive on all sorts of levels for different reasons.

http://www.amazon.com/Tijuana-Bibles-Americas-Forbidden-1930s-1950s/dp/0684834618

Speculation about Hitler's sexuality was widespread from the beginning of his political career. Ron Rosenbaum has an interesting discussion in his excellent book "Explaining Hitler." There was apparently considerable gossip about Hitler's relationship with his niece, who served as his secretary and eventually committed suicide.

For many years, it was a commonplace in England that homosexuality was widespread in the German officer corp. Iirc, that assumption plays a role in one of John Buchan's Richard Hannay novels, written in the interwar period. During the war, Churchill made references in his speeches to the "dandified" German officer corp. His British audience presumably understood what he meant.

Whether this book is picking up on any of this or just using homosexuality as the particularly damaging slur it was considered to be at the time, I don't know.

I might add that this tract does NOT deal exclusively with the subject of homosexuality, but also depicts Hitler engaged in a sexual act with a woman as well. The tract does have a heterosexual erotic element as well. I cannot post those pages here, due to their erotic nature.

I have seen hundreds of Tijuana Bibles offered on Ebay and other venues, but have never seen this particular one until this copy came into my hands. I consider myself very fortunate to own this rarity.

Yep, and it is reprinted in its entirety by the book I listed above anyway. One aspect discussed about this particular work's artist (presumed to be "Mr. Prolific", one of the most competent draftsmen of the TB's) is that he was probably Jewish, in his portrayal of Hitler's deeds up to that time and the closing that he "would yet beg the pardon of the humble Jew" for his misdeeds outlined therein, besides insulting him as much as could be done in a comic tract. A real snapshot of that period in time.