• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Birds of Prey" Ahead Of It's Time Too?

22 posts in this topic

First of all, this isn't a thread to mock the Mystery Men thread, "Mystery Men - 15 years old... and 15 years too early", which I saw in theaters in '99 and really enjoyed (I'm always hoping they release the alternate ending on some format down the road).

But... I just discovered "Birds of Prey", 12 years too late myself. I just bought a copy on DVD (I'm old fashioned) and have really enjoyed the mythology so far this afternoon. I can't believe I passed on it for so many years. Granted, the early Smallville production values aside, this would have played a lot better now more than ever. I really dig, how Harley Quinn is the main criminal mastermind too.

With her popularity now, maybe these birds could have flew a little higher back then and got renewed.

Well anyway, time to watch another episode. :)

Jerel

Yeah.

The fact that they're now apparently producing "Gotham" or somesuch reminded me that Birds of Prey wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. Mia Sara (best know from Ferris Bueller's Day Off) was the bomb!

I remember giving the show a try. If memory serves me correctly, the problem was how far removed it was from the source material. Wasn't a character supposed to be Batman and Catwoman's daughter? But they did it all by heavily hinting at who were her parents?
A handy summary to jog your memory. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birds_of_Prey_(TV_series)

My friend bought the show on dvd for me a year or 2 ago,because he knew I loved the Birds of Prey books. I couldn't get through the 4th episode,the show is just awful in my opinion.

Batgirl/Oracle was my favorite, I would do ungodly things to her lol ,I also remember her story arc on 90210 from back in the day, when she cheated on her husband with Brandon, now that was scandalous tv!

My friend bought the show on dvd for me a year or 2 ago,because he knew I loved the Birds of Prey books. I couldn't get through the 4th episode,the show is just awful in my opinion.

Batgirl/Oracle was my favorite, I would do ungodly things to her lol ,I also remember her story arc on 90210 from back in the day, when she cheated on her husband with Brandon, now that was scandalous tv!

Most people will remember Dina Meyer from Starship Troopers, but I'll always <3 her in Rooftops. My generation's unwanted Step Up movie. lol

I hear you, but I didn't come aboard the Birds of Prey book until #76 though, mostly due to the hype of the Black Alice character, so I missed a lot of it's beginnings. I am taking into consideration the limitations of a TV budget too (we're seeing* this with Marvel: Agents of SHIELD too).

* 'seeing' meaning if we are still watching that one. hm

I'm past the "Split" episode and really enjoying everything still (the characters, action, villians, mythology and... (ahem) "eye candy"). :applause:

First of all, this isn't a thread to mock the Mystery Men thread, "Mystery Men - 15 years old... and 15 years too early", which I saw in theaters in '99 and really enjoyed (I'm always hoping they release the alternate ending on some format down the road).

But... I just discovered "Birds of Prey", 12 years too late myself. I just bought a copy on DVD (I'm old fashioned) and have really enjoyed the mythology so far this afternoon. I can't believe I passed on it for so many years. Granted, the early Smallville production values aside, this would have played a lot better now more than ever. I really dig, how Harley Quinn is the main criminal mastermind too.

With her popularity now, maybe these birds could have flew a little higher back then and got renewed.

Well anyway, time to watch another episode. :)

Jerel

I actually was a HUGE fan of this show and was very disappointed when it was cancelled. Yes, it was ahead of its time.

I guess you're right jarel, maybe I should give it more time, I just found it hard to watch,because of some of the powers involved. It for sure had a low budget it feel to it. Shield doesn't seem low budget at all to me, it just sucks period lol .

Disney for sure isn't being cheap with the show,it just doesn't feel like it's really part of the marvel universe. I watch it every week hoping it will get better, just to be let down again and again. I know they have things coming up to appease the fans, hopefully it gets better.

I remember giving the show a try. If memory serves me correctly, the problem was how far removed it was from the source material. Wasn't a character supposed to be Batman and Catwoman's daughter? But they did it all by heavily hinting at who were her parents?

Huntress originally was the daughter of Batman and Catwoman, over on Earth-2. Obviously this all disappeared after Crisis on Infinite Earths, so I guess the show was pre-crisis?

Given that they were treading lightly to avoid having to pay for the license to a Batman TV show, I thought they handled the greater universe implications very well. I enjoyed the whole show on DVD, but would've been happier if they'd spent a little more on it. There are some CGI cut-scenes later on that didn't really work for me.

I'm up to the last double-episode (I've been cheating on with the complete series of "Police Squad!" lol ).

I've really enjoyed how they are re-telling the Batman mythology with a Modern spin. Huntress is basically Batman, Reese is Commisioner Gordon, etc...

Never would have ever thought the punk kid from "Head of the Class" would go on to produce such fine comic-book properties (not counting Aquaman's pilot). My 2c

Thought it was absolutely awful. Doesn't hold a candle to Smallville, let alone Arrow. But in a sense, seeing as it was a first stab at something, you can kind of forgive it and appreciate it for what it started. We're lucky the WB/CW got it right on the second try with Smallville. And they hit a home run with Arrow.