• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should we require a minimum post count before folks can buy/sell here?

360 posts in this topic

There's been a lot of discussion for a good while now about the influx of brand new members who jump head first into the sales areas and wreak havoc. The latest is here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7387056#Post7387056

Some of these noobest of noobs are outright scammers, trying to catch a couple of us with our defenses down with some too-good-to-be-true deals...some don't get how things work and gum up sales threads with threadcrapping, :takeit:s on things they can't afford, etc. ad infinitum.

So, we've been toying with the notion of requiring that a member be here for a certain length of time, and have a certain minimum post count, before they can participate in the Sales Forums. For the purposes of this poll, I'm going to make the question simple: Would you support these requirements:

1. A member must be here for at least two months (60 days).

2. A member must have a minimum of 200 posts.

I'd love to be able to say 200 meaningful posts, but I don't know whether the system can do that.

Obviously, discussion is encouraged here. These numbers are mine, and they're totally up for debate. Maybe you think the post count part isn't necessary? Maybe you think things are just fine the way they are? Whatever your thoughts, please share them. I used to think this idea was overkill, but I've flipflopped and now I'm all for it. :blush:

There's been a lot of discussion for a good while now about the influx of brand new members who jump head first into the sales areas and wreak havoc. The latest is here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7387056#Post7387056

Some of these noobest of noobs are outright scammers, trying to catch a couple of us with our defenses down with some too-good-to-be-true deals...some don't get how things work and gum up sales threads with threadcrapping, :takeit:s on things they can't afford, etc. ad infinitum.

So, we've been toying with the notion of requiring that a member be here for a certain length of time, and have a certain minimum post count, before they can participate in the Sales Forums. For the purposes of this poll, I'm going to make the question simple: Would you support these requirements:

I'd love to be able to say 200 meaningful posts, but I don't know whether the system can do that.

Obviously, discussion is encouraged here. These numbers are mine, and they're totally up for debate. Maybe you think the post count part isn't necessary? Maybe you think things are just fine the way they are? Whatever your thoughts, please share them. I used to think this idea was overkill, but I've flipflopped and now I'm all for it. :blush:

While, if someone REALLY wants to scam someone, they will be able to get around it by staying and posting for a while. At least it will get rid of shills listing random books tho.

While, if someone REALLY wants to scam someone, they will be able to get around it by staying and posting for a while. At least it will get rid of shills listing random books tho.

Yep. It's an extra layer or two of hassle for a scammer to have to come here, sign up, post a bunch, wait a couple months, then try their luck at pulling a fast one. And for the non-scammers, it's a chance to watch for a bit and figure out the Board peccadilloes before jumping in too deep.

A concern I'd have with a system like this is that it might encourage people to create board accounts with the express purpose of selling them once the minimum period has been met. Or building a small level of trust on an account then unloading it. I'm not sure how much of an issue that would really be since I haven't seen any account sales offered here but I know it is commonplace on some forums and I'd hate for that to start happening here. I'm still probably pro so new seller requirements though. Even if it was only forcing them to actually read the marketplace and seller guidelines :ohnoez:

My humble suggestion is to split up the poll between

200 posts

2 months

both 200 post and 2 months

either 200 posts or 2 months

none of the above

I would vote for 2 months (even though this would disqualify me), but not for 200 posts. The 60-90 day system has worked out very well elsewhere without the post requirement. Some people just aren't chatty.

:shrug: a n00b's opinion. not worth much

A concern I'd have with a system like this is that it might encourage people to create board accounts with the express purpose of selling them once the minimum period has been met. Or building a small level of trust on an account then unloading it. I'm not sure how much of an issue that would really be since I haven't seen any account sales offered here but I know it is commonplace on some forums and I'd hate for that to start happening here. I'm still probably pro so new seller requirements though. Even if it was only forcing them to actually read the marketplace and seller guidelines :ohnoez:

I didn't think of that. You've thought this out I see...

200 posts

2 months

none of the above

I would vote for 2 months (even though this would disqualify me), but not for 200 posts. The 60-90 day system has worked out very well elsewhere without the post requirement. Some people just aren't chatty.

You get to know people better from their posts than the date that says how long they've been here.

All for it.

Maybe they should have to buy on here before they sell? :shrug:

Absolutely not. You should NEVER force someone to buy.

Who said anything about forcing anything?

I was just suggesting it because it would include a real transaction be performed before they earn the opportunity to sell.

I understand where you are coming from though.

I would suggest 50 posts and 30 days.

I started buying and selling early on here, so I think 2 months is excessive.

And requiring too many posts could result in a lot of worthless posting.

Would you rather have worthless posting or someone get major league scammed?

[

You get to know people better from their posts than the date that says how long they've been here.

I don't know if this is about getting to know one another and building trust (which I think is up to the individual buyer/seller) or preventing fly by night scammers. It takes commitment to sign up for a new account, wait 2 months, and then try to scam people. I'd be willing to bet that most of the scammers we're talking about signed up the same day.

200 posts

2 months

none of the above

I was about to say -- I agree. But then someone could simply circumvent by starting several BS accounts and sitting on them for 2 months and then doing the same thing.

"Forcing" them to post 200 things will let everyone know pretty much what they needed to know about the person.