• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undervalued Bronze keys?

339 posts in this topic

Well according to CGC's labeling MP 7 is "1st appearance of Rocket Raccoon" and IH 271 is "1st comic book appearance of Rocket Raccoon".

I'm not familiar with the MP title; is there any reason it would not be considered a "comic book"?

Because it's a magazine.

Well according to CGC's labeling MP 7 is "1st appearance of Rocket Raccoon" and IH 271 is "1st comic book appearance of Rocket Raccoon".

I'm not familiar with the MP title; is there any reason it would not be considered a "comic book"?

It is a magazine. As to the distinction between a magazine and comic book I have no idea.

It is a magazine. As to the distinction between a magazine and comic book I have no idea.

Distribution, format, size, page material, retail placement, advertising, page count, production, and probably a zillion more.

Distribution, format, size, page material, retail placement, advertising, page count, production, and probably a zillion more.

Except that it was never distinguished early on, as in Man-Thing's 1st app. (He points out ad nauseum).

Except that it was never distinguished early on, as in Man-Thing's 1st app. (He points out ad nauseum).

If you want to talk about CGC inconsistencies, block off a few years.

CGC until recently has just been an OSPG copycat - I'm talking OS and the collector community. Seriously, RR's "1st app in a comic book" is a brandy new distinction.

CGC until recently has just been an OSPG copycat - I'm talking OS and the collector community. Seriously, RR's "1st app in a comic book" is a brandy new distinction.

I heard this long before RR exploded (like with Man-Thing in ST 1 and AT 12), and I personally agree with it. Lots of people collect comics and not magazines (and vice versa) so I don't see the big deal.

Are you really saying that less label information is better?

... binding, proportion of text features vs. art...

The RR debate always cracks me up because of Star-Lord.

Nobody debates that Star-Lord's first appearance is Marvel Preview 4. The cover feature helps, but it's really the exact same thing. High grade copies of Marvel Spotlight (vol. 2) #6 aren't selling for $700.

Maybe if they had painted Rocket humping Satana's leg there wouldn't be any debate (shrug)

Allowable content was another major distinction between the mags vs comics.

The mags were not constrained by the Comics Code and as such, were able to contain stories and art with more adult themes/graphic nature than allowable in the newsstand comics of the time.

I heard this long before RR exploded (like with Man-Thing in ST 1 and AT 12), and I personally agree with it. Lots of people collect comics and not magazines (and vice versa) so I don't see the big deal.

Are you really saying that less label information is better?

No, not at all. What I said was, that was how it was. Maybe you "heard" the distinction earlier, but you never "saw" it in the OSPG or on a CGC label.

Nobody debates that Star-Lord's first appearance is Marvel Preview 4. The cover feature helps, but it's really the exact same thing. High grade copies of Marvel Spotlight (vol. 2) #6 aren't selling for $700.

Maybe if they had painted Rocket humping Satana's leg there wouldn't be any debate (shrug)

And MP 4 was hot (although much less hot) in its own right, because of the Satana cover (at least to us mag collectors). RR's app wasn't even noteworthy until only recently. Much like the quick flip of BA 12 going from a Batgirl feature to the 1st app of Harley Quinn.

Allowable content was another major distinction between the mags vs comics.

The mags were not constrained by the Comics Code and as such, were able to contain stories and art with more adult themes/graphic nature than allowable in the newsstand comics of the time.

Which was very significant. (thumbs u (At least from this teen-age boy's mentality . . . ) lol

One difference is that the first comic book app. of RR is also his second appearance overall, not so with Starlord.

One difference is that the first comic book app. of RR is also his second appearance overall, not so with Starlord.

I see the main difference being the hype train that is Rocket Raccoon. The speculators are gambling that he's going to be the next Mickey Mouse or something. Starlord definitely has some speculatory juice, but nothing compared to the raccoon.