• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undervalued Bronze keys?

339 posts in this topic

How can you not know what you sound like.

Wow, you don't get it do you? It's just the OPPOSITE, and rather than continually catering to the "aging nerd fanboys" by rewriting and retconning old SA/BA stories, I would rather see Modern hacks actually (gasp) doing something new, rather than retreading the worn tires of decades-old stories.

Get it? The old guy on the lawn is yelling "Give me more retcons and revamps about my beloved SA/BA/CA stories, NEW material scares me!!" :preach:

I get what you are saying JC! While its cool to tie something into the past once in a while, they seem to do it every week these days.

Sometimes while reading what you type, it just feels agressive. Maybe it is because you are passionate about it, but some people will look at it in typed form the wrong way and see it as you yelling at them, or being "mean"

I would assume it would go a long way for you to at least acknowledge that point. :preach:

I get what you are saying JC! While its cool to tie something into the past once in a while, they seem to do it every week these days.

This is exactly my point. The odd retcon every few years isn't a bad thing, but these Modern hacks are literally "doing it every week these days". That's not a "new story" it's a regurgitation from the past intended to keep their aging readership interested. Puke up enough of this garbage and the place will start to smell.

Sometimes while reading what you type, it just feels agressive. Maybe it is because you are passionate about it, but some people will look at it in typed form the wrong way and see it as you yelling at them, or being "mean"

I've always had a very forceful personality, and I guess I just write the same way. None of it is intended to me "mean", I just manipulate words to certain effect. :insane:

Wheres he get this info from, here? Story breaks 3 days after we discuss it. either way ROM needs the Dire wraiths.... JC? ---Oh NO Not the Transformers WTF ROM

The collective mind here must be especially strong!

'

EDIT: I'll confess that part of me liked ROM. Or wanted to like ROM but just couldn't buy into how it was being done. And that gun always through me off a bit. Not sure what to make of that. Was he going to scan his enemies' groceries or something?

For those who haven't read the series, Rom is awesome. Don't listen to the naysayers.

The first 15 issues or so are just a bit of a slog, it's true - very densely written. But they set up the series' great premise, where Rom comes to Earth to save humanity from the evil Dire Wraiths, but since the Wraiths are shapeshifters, when he kills them everyone assumes Rom is a villain murdering people.

Once the series got to around #17, the first X-Men crossover, it really hit its stride. #17-50 are basically Rom Team-Up, with almost every arc featuring a different random guest star, with everyone from Namor and Shang-Chi to Dr. Strange and Alpha Flight showing up. #51-66 is the Wraith War really hitting its stride - and tying in closely with X-Men continuity at the time, as Forge appears in both books and bases his power nullifier on Rom's gun, which he then uses to steal Storm's powers. The end of the Wraith War crosses over into the broader MU, including issues of X-Men and Avengers, and just about the entire MU guest stars in the final parts of the war, Rom #65 and 66.

Then #67-75 are Rom heading back to his home planet and picking up the pieces while tying up loose ends regarding his supporting cast.

The result is a 75 issue epic (plus four annuals) that really reads like one cohesive story start to finish despite some truly bizarre detours thanks to the parade of guest stars. It's great stuff!

For those who haven't read the series, Rom is awesome. Don't listen to the naysayers.

The first 15 issues or so are just a bit of a slog, it's true - very densely written. But they set up the series' great premise, where Rom comes to Earth to save humanity from the evil Dire Wraiths, but since the Wraiths are shapeshifters, when he kills them everyone assumes Rom is a villain murdering people.

Once the series got to around #17, the first X-Men crossover, it really hit its stride. #17-50 are basically Rom Team-Up, with almost every arc featuring a different random guest star, with everyone from Namor and Shang-Chi to Dr. Strange and Alpha Flight showing up. #51-66 is the Wraith War really hitting its stride - and tying in closely with X-Men continuity at the time, as Forge appears in both books and bases his power nullifier on Rom's gun, which he then uses to steal Storm's powers. The end of the Wraith War crosses over into the broader MU, including issues of X-Men and Avengers, and just about the entire MU guest stars in the final parts of the war, Rom #65 and 66.

Then #67-75 are Rom heading back to his home planet and picking up the pieces while tying up loose ends regarding his supporting cast.

The result is a 75 issue epic (plus four annuals) that really reads like one cohesive story start to finish despite some truly bizarre detours thanks to the parade of guest stars. It's great stuff!

Thanks for the overview.

I only had a couple of Rom issues when I was a kid - one of them was that really freaky one with the wraiths.

I read the Micronauts vs. Rom thread awhile back. I was surprised that the consensus was that Rom was better since I really liked Micronauts. So I tried picking up a couple issues at a time from my LCS starting with #1. But after about 6-8 issues I got kinda board with it. Just seemed like a Silver Surfer knock-off.

But based on your review, I'll give it another shot.

As far as Rom being ret-conned as a Transformer? I gotta go with Joe on that one.

Wheres he get this info from, here? Story breaks 3 days after we discuss it. either way ROM needs the Dire wraiths.... JC? ---Oh NO Not the Transformers WTF ROM

Created by Marvel and Parker Bros to go alongside their release of the sci-fi action adventure doll in question.

It's interesting Bleeding cool did not call it an 'action figure'

More like "ROM, the street-wise, smart-talking, Space-Bot!"

"Yo, yo, yo, me be ROM, coming atcha homeboys, straight from da 'Dromeda galaxy, putting a cap in da hass of dem Dire Wraiths that be buggin' y'all!"

I kind of like Marvel Preview 11. Never was an important key until the gotg movie started to form and its still an unknown even now but its also the first appearance of J'son of spartax(spartoi) which is starlords father. :gossip: I believe brian michael bendis said that he was going to develop into a major character(to a degree) in the Marvel universe this year. Its also the second star lord from what I understand.

Id also say that New teen titans 2 based on demand, has a bit of room to grow. He's always been somewhat popular, recently his popularity has been higher than ever with the intro to him in the batman games, the arrow show and the new exposure in the dc universe. Its a cool cover and he's pretty bad azz.

More like "ROM, the street-wise, smart-talking, Space-Bot!"

"Yo, yo, yo, me be ROM, coming atcha homeboys, straight from da 'Dromeda galaxy, putting a cap in da hass of dem Dire Wraiths that be buggin' y'all!"

(worship)

That ghetto-speak stuff in Transformers 2 had to be *the* most embarrassing movie sequence in the history of cinema.