• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I trade my WD 3-118 collection for a WD #1 ?

54 posts in this topic

Why do people come on here and ask questions like this? If you are in it for the money, the answer is obvious. If you want the books to read, it is a no brainer.

It would have taken less time to sit down and figure it out for yourself than it would to type your question.

Exactly, great post Dale. It comes down to what you want to collect?

Since you already have most for reading then keep issues 3-118 and look for a WD#1 and 2 to fill in the run eventually. Save up the money for it.

However, if you really don't care to read the individual issues then get the trades to read instead! You would save some space in your house/apartment.

Personally, I like quality over quantity. I would take the WD #1 due to the limited print size of this comic book as opposed to the 3-118 issues.

The fact you even took the time to post this may show you are seriously thinking of doing the trade which means having all those issues is not really going to hurt when you let them go.

You would know instantly if you did not want to do the deal because of the time, effort and money it took to put that run together. It all depends on condition of the WD#1 so go with your heart and see what you truly want to own.

Yes indeed I'm 93% sure I wanna do the trade.. my heart says yes... and so does the much needed space... I simply wanted to hear people out :) Maybe someone had an amazing argument that would make me re-think this...

A lot of details missing that make it impossible to give an opinion. Is the WD1 a graded 9.8? Are the comics you have graded or raw?

Yes, this times a thousand.

Even if we had all the needed information it's just a matter of doing the math, and it's a lot of it.

Personally if they were monetarily equal I wouldn't make the trade. If you have the money you can find a WD 1 in about 2 seconds. Obtaining such a big run of the series requires a lot of time and effort.

Here's an argument in favor of keeping the 3-118 run..

I did think about this... and obtaining all of these issues did take a long time.. well, a lot of mouse clicks at least.

I would buy the 9.8 WD 1 all day long,who needs books with all that ink on them. (shrug)

Yup... I don't think I like having so many books anymore... plus the girlfriend thinks I'm insane?! I showed her a WD #1 once and told her it was worth around $2000... she said: What! $2000 for a comic book? You can buy a Louis Vuitton purse with that kind of money!

I am not trying to be mean, but if you were going to leave those details out on purpose then why ask the question? lol If money does not matter, then that means it is a decision based totally on your collecting habits therefore making any opinion we have invalid. An example of this is the recent holiday raffle. Almost everyone got a pick in their top-10 even if they choice number 95 because what is important varies from person to person depending on what they collect. Good luck though, it is a tough decision.

I guess I wanted to hear you guys out first! ... It is a tough decision and it seems from the replies I'm getting here that people would also have a hard time..

Ultimately it's true.. This decision is based on my collecting habits for sure...

Why do people come on here and ask questions like this? If you are in it for the money, the answer is obvious. If you want the books to read, it is a no brainer.

It would have taken less time to sit down and figure it out for yourself than it would to type your question.

Exactly, great post Dale. It comes down to what you want to collect?

Since you already have most for reading then keep issues 3-118 and look for a WD#1 and 2 to fill in the run eventually. Save up the money for it.

However, if you really don't care to read the individual issues then get the trades to read instead! You would save some space in your house/apartment.

Personally, I like quality over quantity. I would take the WD #1 due to the limited print size of this comic book as opposed to the 3-118 issues.

The fact you even took the time to post this may show you are seriously thinking of doing the trade which means having all those issues is not really going to hurt when you let them go.

You would know instantly if you did not want to do the deal because of the time, effort and money it took to put that run together. It all depends on condition of the WD#1 so go with your heart and see what you truly want to own.

Yes indeed I'm 93% sure I wanna do the trade.. my heart says yes... and so does the much needed space... I simply wanted to hear people out :) Maybe someone had an amazing argument that would make me re-think this...

A lot of details missing that make it impossible to give an opinion. Is the WD1 a graded 9.8? Are the comics you have graded or raw?

Yes, this times a thousand.

Even if we had all the needed information it's just a matter of doing the math, and it's a lot of it.

Personally if they were monetarily equal I wouldn't make the trade. If you have the money you can find a WD 1 in about 2 seconds. Obtaining such a big run of the series requires a lot of time and effort.

Here's an argument in favor of keeping the 3-118 run..

I did think about this... and obtaining all of these issues did take a long time.. well, a lot of mouse clicks at least.

I would buy the 9.8 WD 1 all day long,who needs books with all that ink on them. (shrug)

Yup... I don't think I like having so many books anymore... plus the girlfriend thinks I'm insane?! I showed her a WD #1 once and told her it was worth around $2000... she said: What! $2000 for a comic book? You can buy a LouisVuitton purse with that kind of money!

I am not trying to be mean, but if you were going to leave those details out on purpose then why ask the question? lol If money does not matter, then that means it is a decision based totally on your collecting habits therefore making any opinion we have invalid. An example of this is the recent holiday raffle. Almost everyone got a pick in their top-10 even if they choice number 95 because what is important varies from person to person depending on what they collect. Good luck though, it is a tough decision.

I guess I wanted to hear you guys out first! ... It is a tough decision and it seems from the replies I'm getting here that people would also have a hard time..

Ultimately it's true.. This decision is based on my collecting habits for sure...

Depending on the condition of the 3-118, I would definately consider it. WD #1 is the Holy Grail for a lot of collectors. If you like the thrill of the hunt, you have a good chance of aquiring the rest for decent prices (especially with some late night feebaying). It would really help if you had doubles of any of the key issues (first Michonne, death of so and so etc).

Also, if you have several of those 3-118 issues CGC'd, make sure you are factoring that cost into the equation. Plus the fact that your woman knows what a LouisVuitton purse cost, you may not be in a position to reaquire the 3-118 or a #1/#2 to complete your set. You're stuck between a rock and an expensive place my good man :juggle:. I wish you the best of luck!

Yup... I don't think I like having so many books anymore... plus the girlfriend thinks I'm insane?! I showed her a WD #1 once and told her it was worth around $2000... she said: What! $2000 for a comic book? You can buy a Louis Vuitton purse with that kind of money!

We are all a little bit insane in our own ways. Looks like you have more than enough comments to go on. Sometimes it's nice just to chew things over out loud and straighten your thoughts, the problem I have is that there is only so much comics talk my wife can take so I usually keep my mouth shut.

Good luck :)

Tell your girlfriend to sell her Louis Vuitton bag six months after she buys it. See what she gets for it. She will get 66% if she is lucky. I have sold a few things for a couple of relatives on eBay... they cannot believe that they do not get their full $500 back on a Coach bag. They are lucky to get $100-$150.

We are all a little bit insane in our own ways. Looks like you have more than enough comments to go on. Sometimes it's nice just to chew things over out loud and straighten your thoughts, the problem I have is that there is only so much comics talk my wife can take so I usually keep my mouth shut.

Exactly the reason I originally posted this here... Can't really talk about this stuff with her, or to anyone for that matter as my friends or social circles aren't really into comics at all...

lol @ A purse

Tell your girlfriend to sell her Louis Vuitton bag six months after she buys it. See what she gets for it. She will get 66% if she is lucky. I have sold a few things for a couple of relatives on eBay... they cannot believe that they do not get their full $500 back on a Coach bag. They are lucky to get $100-$150.

Make the trade as long as the WD 1 is high grade, take the GF's Louis Vitton purse and sell it so you can buy a few of the WD hardbound Omnibus collections. win/win

Can I submit her Louis Vuitton purse to CGC to have it slabbed? And if so will it retain value over time? :wishluck:

How much are beater copies of 1 and 2 worth?

I'm a completist, so I need everything. If you can afford 1, keep the run, and buy yourself a copy already. If you can't afford the 1, trade for the 1, and go back later for the rest of the run you can afford. Simple!

I'm a completist, so I'd keep the run and keep my eye out for deals on 1 and 2

but if you're looking to flip for money now, I'd take the #1 and immediately put it on sale -- but after you have the money in your hands you'll probably regret selling your collection (at least I would)

Exactly the reason I originally posted this here... Can't really talk about this stuff with her, or to anyone for that matter as my friends or social circles aren't really into comics at all...

lol @ A purse

Make the trade as long as the WD 1 is high grade, take the GF's Louis Vitton purse and sell it so you can buy a few of the WD hardbound Omnibus collections. win/win

Can I submit her Louis Vuitton purse to CGC to have it slabbed? And if so will it retain value over time? :wishluck:

^^:takeit: Love the sense of humor you have! WTTB You'll fit in just fine. lol

Make the trade. If you want to replace the books you traded away later, it is always going to be easier to find and afford the later issues.

Of course others have stated "according to your tastes". But as far as trade goes, I think this is worthwhile. Unless you have the $$ to just purchase a #1 in 9.8 and keep your run of 3-118

Personally - I'd make the trade - then sell the WD #1 after the TV show starts back up. And use the $$ to purchase a SA key I thought still had some growth potential. Say as nice a Strange Tales 110 or TTA 27/35 as that money would buy. Because while I don't think that WD 1 is going to crash and burn as some have suggested, neither do I see much possibility at all of future growth. The chance to make a bunch of money on that book has come and gone - which is why you see it tread in fairly narrow range.

BTW, it's usually best not to share too many details about your books and their value to wives/girlfriends. Ignorance is bliss and all that.

You need a new girlfriend and you need to tell the next one that until she marries you, she has no say in what you buy or don't buy.

You also need to find one smart enough not to waste $500.00 on a purse.

Why do people come on here and ask questions like this? If you are in it for the money, the answer is obvious. If you are wanting the books to read, it is a no brainer.

People like to share the opportunities they are presented with. Yeah, it might be a no brainer but if your friends at home aren't interested in your comic book exploits then where better to share it?

I agree he probably already had his mind made up, but it is exciting to him and he wanted to share. 2c

Keep the set and buy VF copies of 1 and 2. You can fit about 140 or so comics in a short box you can squeeze into your closet out of the way of your wives purse collection. IMO its way cooler to have the entire set then just a #1. I'd trade mine for a 1-100 vf set. But like some of the others on here, I'm a bit of a completionist.

Keep the set and buy VF copies of 1 and 2. You can fit about 140 or so comics in a short box you can squeeze into your closet out of the way of your wives purse collection. IMO its way cooler to have the entire set then just a #1. I'd trade mine for a 1-100 vf set. But like some of the others on here, I'm a bit of a completionist.

I agree that complete sets are "cooler" and for the first 20 years it is how I collected. But unless you are only interested in a few titles space becomes an ever increasing issue. So for the past 20 something years I have restricted my collection to key and representative issues of titles/characters I like.

For my tastes, a WD collection would consist of 1 19 27 28 33 & 48. Add to this a few issues that you just love the covers and I think you have a great WD collection in 10 issues - and 1/12 the space. Which is what I own, minus #1. That book I consider somewhat overbought right now and I believe I can pick it up cheaper later on. I don't think it's ever going to be an inexpensive book - but I do think there is a good chance of picking a 9.8 up someday down the road for less than today's prices and little chance of my paying more because I wait.