• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Score of the century!!

497 posts in this topic

This listing is too good to take. With such these titles and numbers going over the list ... no one would be blind to pass over that. Given that Batman is too well known from these comics, the lady seller should know these books have greater value in the first place before putting up for sale on kijiji. hm

except 32K isn't chump change and is a lot of money to most.

Sorry the lady got taken.

Exactly. The average person may or may not known that this collection is potentially worth a lot of money. Watch something like the Antiques Roadshow and see people who "know" what they have get shocked by the current value. Someone with this material (if they're good quality this is practically a pedigree) should be educated and given a fair deal. Anything else is awful.

She said they were mostly in nice condition but her not being a collector you know how that goes.

I asked and got the email of the buyer. Just emailed him to see if I could buy some Captain America comics off him.

We'll see if he replies!

Condition was the first question I had, too. Even missing a few wraps, some of those keys would make up the price paid for the lot. As a potential buyer, it's a tough call whether to inspect the books closely or to take the books and run. If the seller got her asking price, she should only complain to herself that she didn't ask more.

There's no unrestored Detective 27 worth less than $100,000. That's the absolute floor for this collection. Even if everything else is poor, the collection is six figures.

And with the tec 27 in there, in mid grade, wouldn't this be a million dollar lot? I'm not a golden age guy.

Unless the whole lot is at the absolute low end, grade-wise, I think this could be a million dollars worth of comics. A VG Detective 27 is probably $300-350,000. So in average shape that's the floor. And there are other keys in the lot.

At first, she was happy with the $32K, but after all the emails started flooding in, likely from us here (myself included), she sees that they were worth much more.

He paid with $5000 cash and the rest by cheque. The sister had already deposited the cheque.

They've been in touch with the RCMP and a lawyer is the next call. The RCMP said that there's nothing they can do unless it's a fraudulent cheque.

I'm not sure what the lawyer could do, either. :(

A: "Would you accept $32000?"

B: "Yes!!"

C: "Here you go, thanks."

At first, she was happy with the $32K, but after all the emails started flooding in, likely from us here (myself included), she sees that they were worth much more.

He paid with $5000 cash and the rest by cheque. The sister had already deposited the cheque.

They've been in touch with the RCMP and a lawyer is the next call. The RCMP said that there's nothing they can do unless it's a fraudulent cheque.

She should call the news. "Comic book dealer scams little old lady" The guy will get sorted out in about five seconds.

I'm afraid you're right. :(

lol I'm still trying to figure out who "C" is.

There is a big difference between immoral and illegal. If this story is true, what "Andrew" did was unconscionable but at the end of the day, he will be the legal owner of the books.

Absolutely.

Rough values for the bigger books in VG. Over $500,000 right here.

DETECTIVE COMICS No 27 MAY 1939 $300,000

DETECTIVE COMICS No 28 JUNE 1939 $25,000

DETECTIVE COMICS No 30 AUGUST 1939 $5,000

DETECTIVE COMICS No 31 SEPTEMBER 1939 $35,000

DETECTIVE COMICS No 33 NOVEMBER 1939 $15,000

THE BATMAN DETECTIVE COMICS No 34 DECEMBER 1939 $5,000

DETECTIVE COMICS No 35 JANUARY 1940 $20,000

THE BATMAN DETECTIVE COMICS No 36 FEBRUARY 1940 $5,000

THE BATMAN DETECTIVE COMICS No 37 MARCH 1940 $5,000

THE BATMAN DETECTIVE COMICS No 38 APRIL 1940 $7,500

ADVENTURE COMICS No 40 JULY 1939 $15,000

ACTION COMICS No 3 AUGUST 1938 $10,000

ACTION COMICS No 4 SEPTEMBER 1938 (2 issues of this one) $5,000 x 2

ACTION COMICS No 6 NOVEMBER 1938 $5,000

ACTION COMICS No 7 DECEMBER 1938 $25,000

ACTION COMICS No 8 JANUARY 1939 $5,000

ACTION COMICS No 10 MARCH 1939 $5,000

ACTION COMICS No 11 APRIL 1939 $3,000

ALL WINNERS COMICS No 1 SUMMER ISSUE 1941 $3,500

ALL AMERICAN COMICS No 16 JULY 1940 $30,000

Looking forward to the books within the next 6 months on Heritage

I was waiting for this! I can't imagine being this guy and defrauding a woman like that! Wouldn't you feel the constant need to look over your shoulder.

It seems it would be like stealing artwork or jewelry - something distinguishable - what would you do with it? There has to be some level of :eek: with listing them with a major auction house.