• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good comic shops in Philadelphia?

12 posts in this topic

Hey there, Hon(s)!

I'm going to be in Philly for my birthday (bar crawl and comic shop crawl) and was wondering what shops I absolutely must hit up! A few of my friends and I are starting to plan things out so any help would be radical! Thanks!

I would check out

Fat jacks comics on Samson street near 19th I think ( might want to google that)

And brave new worlds on 2nd street

I would prefer fat jacks though

Agree with the choices, although the street is Sansom, which should help you actually find it. With that said, calling these shops a 'must see' is to mismanage your expectations. Their back issue stocks are exhaustively picked over, so unless they've gotten a fresh collection relatively recently, don't expect to find many terrific bargains.

Just across the river from Killadelphia has:

Frankenstein Comics in Woodbury

The Comic Book Store in Glassboro

There's some store that I never made it too, maybe Time Lost and Found?

Foolkiller has some good insights as he used to live here, perhaps a PM?

Just across the river from Killadelphia has:

Frankenstein Comics in Woodbury

The Comic Book Store in Glassboro

There's some store that I never made it too, maybe Time Lost and Found?

Foolkiller has some good insights as he used to live here, perhaps a PM?

Frankenstein comics out on a good show, at the international house on Penns campus never been to the ship though,

There are no "must see " comics shops at all in philadelphia just trying to point out the must popular. There is a cool shop in west philadelphia called locust moon deals with trades mostly ( sort of looks like a library with all the trades) very little comics though. But they have cool events like a "drink and draw contest" means exactly it lol.

2-3 comic shops 100's bars

Since you're going from Baltimore to Philly I'll give a shot out for my LCS in Delaware.

They are real close to the I-95 exit so they could be an option on the way there or home. Just look for the Marsh Rd. exit in Delaware. They are only about 1.5 mile from the exit and there are no turns. They are on Marsh Rd.

Here is their website: The Comic Book Shop

Hey there, Hon(s)!

I'm going to be in Philly for my birthday (bar crawl and comic shop crawl) and was wondering what shops I absolutely must hit up! A few of my friends and I are starting to plan things out so any help would be radical! Thanks!

Fat Jack's on 20th street is a decent store, though they don't have a lot of GA or SA these days. There's a great place for gelato called Capogiro's across the street. It might be worthwhile to go there just for that, if you don't mind eating a frozen dessert during the winter. :)

Lauren,

As others have mentioned, there are no really good shops in Philadelphia.

Knowing somewhat your interest, I would go see the "coolest" shop in Philly and drive out to Ontario Street Comics (still in Philly, just outside center city) It's where Unbreakable had it's comic store scenes shot and it has tons of material. You may not buy a ton, but it's huge and has lots to look at.

Fat Jack's is a shell of what it used to be. Since their warehouse flooded a few years back, it's just not focused on back issues that much. Last good score they had was an X-Men 1 and some early FFs I picked up a couple years ago. Capigiro is a wonderful Gelato place. You should stop by to go to either the Shake Shack, Capigiro or one of the better restaurants in Philly, Jose Garces' Tinto.

Atomic City Books on South St. has a great selection of trades, and if you go down to South St. you can always stop by Jim's steaks. I recommend Steve's Prince of Steaks -- which for my money is the best cheese steak in center city area.

Brave New Worlds in Old City (on 2nd St.) is a neat little shop, but basically no back issues. Probably not worth the trek.

If you venture outside of Philadelphia…

Showcase Comics in Bryn Mawr (near Villanova) is a tremendous store. Mike Clark's larger location, it has tons of trades and a huge back issue selection. Although they don't have a lot of keys or high end anymore, they are probably one of the best comic stores in all of Pennsylvania (their location in the Granite Run Mall is also fantastic).

Comic Universe in Folsom, PA is on the 95 corridor. Frank Link runs a tremendous little shop with plenty of vintage (though again back in the day, his shop was lined with high end Marvel and tons of keys).

And as mentioned above, the Comic Book Shop in Delaware is fun shop with both toys and comics. Patrick and Sarah run a first rate operation.

Hey there, Hon(s)!

ANY comic shop you're at is a good comic shop :foryou: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I was just in Philly today and hit a couple of stores.

I went to Atomic Avenue, Blue Locust Comics and Brave New Worlds . If you're looking for back issues, then none of these are good. Blue Locust has a big dollar bin section, but its mostly stuff from the past 10 years. The others have basically no back issues at all.

I think Fat Jack's might be good for back issues. I also heard South Philly Comics isn't too bad.

Thanks for all the suggestions! This is a great list, and if I can't hit all the shops in the day...I'll most certainly be back in Philly to check them out soon (I'm seeing a guy who lives in Philly, yay)!