• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15 and the Restored Books Market

49 posts in this topic

The demand for AF 15 is incredible and seems to keep growing with no immediate sign of slowing down. AF 15 is the SA "mega-key" and probably has the most restored copies. What impact, if any, is AF 15 having on the restored book market?

Thanks for any insight,

John

For this book, many are priced out of it at whichever grade point they would usually collect at. So that has opened the market a bit for the restored copies since they are much more affordable. It's just a special case for this book as it relates to restored copies; it's not going to impact the overall restored market. You see more AF15 restored copies because it's still worthwhile to grade it for resale.

the restored book market for AF 15 is healthy and that can be said for other Silver age keys as well because...quite a few of them are bought and un-restored by scraping off the glue and CT so the value of PLODs with the glue and CTs (not trimmed) are going higher than they used. I have seen a haft dozen or more AF 15 that had this done...PLOD 5.0 coming back to Blue 3.0.

I have been watching this trend for the past year and no doubt, the price of PLOD is getting close to a point where this type of flip is getting less and less profitable.

I was hoping to get one this year but reading this it makes me think that won't happen.

This really is one of those books that if you sit around waiting for a "deal" or the exact, perfect copy you think you want, either the price will just keep going up on you, and you'll have to pay far more in the end, or you'll end up waiting years and years to actually buy one. Or both. I picked up 6.0 less than six months ago, thinking I overpaid at the time, but now I see comparably well presenting copies going for ten percent more already. Go figure.

-J.

the restored book market for AF 15 is healthy and that can be said for other Silver age keys as well because...quite a few of them are bought and un-restored by scraping off the glue and CT so the value of PLODs with the glue and CTs (not trimmed) are going higher than they used. I have seen a haft dozen or more AF 15 that had this done...PLOD 5.0 coming back to Blue 3.0.

I have been watching this trend for the past year and no doubt, the price of PLOD is getting close to a point where this type of flip is getting less and less profitable.

A "scraped off" book can look reeeeaaally ugly. I had the ct taken off one of my AF15s and I didn't like the result at all. I ended up selling the book because I didn't like the look any more.

Remember, a color scrape on an AF15 is going to really show up because of the dark background.

yup, your book is one of many, i have seen at least 5 others and the most recent PLOD from Heritage will resurface in a 3.0 blue label shortly.

you thought yours was ugly, how about this one?

http://www.wwcomics.com/comicdetail.asp?Product_ID=AmazingFantasy_15_61319

p.s. ugliness won't stop this trend ;) from all the strong bids on PLOD AF 15 in the past year... because money and profit trump appearance right? buy the label not the book.

yup, your book is one of many, i have seen at least 5 others and the most recent PLOD from Heritage will resurface in a 3.0 blue label shortly.

you thought yours was ugly, how about this one?

http://www.wwcomics.com/comicdetail.asp?Product_ID=AmazingFantasy_15_61319

p.s. ugliness won't stop this trend ;) from all the strong bids on PLOD AF 15 in the past year... because money and profit trump appearance right? buy the label not the book.

still a nice bright copy Nick. :)