• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15 and the Restored Books Market

49 posts in this topic

Although so Common

That's what gets me, it seems like the it's most plentiful Silver Age key, but it's far and away the highest priced book from that era by a huge margin.

yeah, the demand far outpaces the supply. It cracks me up whenever someone refers to AF15 as "rare" :)

Although so Common

That's what gets me, it seems like the it's most plentiful Silver Age key, but it's far and away the highest priced book from that era by a huge margin.

yeah, the demand far outpaces the supply. It cracks me up whenever someone refers to AF15 as "rare" :)

I would definitely consider only 1300 blue labels for the whole world of the first appearance of one of the most popular super heroes of all time to be "rare". And you can figure 10-15% (or more?) of those are resubs. But just because something is rare does not mean it isn't available. AF 15's are readily available. But then again so are Batman 1's, even though there are less than 100 of those in a blue label. Further, the vast majority of those AF 15 slabs are low grade copies. Once you get above 5.5 the numbers for it are very small as well, and cost prohibitive for a lot of folks. This would explain why higher grade restored and lower grade blue label copies are seeing big price bumps.

-J.

Although so Common

I would definitely consider only 1300 blue labels for the whole world of the first appearance of one of the most popular super heroes of all time to be "rare". And you can figure 10-15% (or more?) of those are resubs. But just because something is rare does not mean it isn't available. AF 15's are readily available. But then again so are Batman 1's, even though there are less than 100 of those in a blue label. Further, the vast majority of those AF 15 slabs are low grade copies. Once you get above 5.5 the numbers for it are very small as well, and cost prohibitive for a lot of folks. This would explain why higher grade restored and lower grade blue label copies are seeing big price bumps.

-J.

What is the assumption on the slab vs raw population of AF15? My guesstimate is that there are thousands of copies that aren't slabbed.

the restored book market for AF 15 is healthy and that can be said for other Silver age keys as well because...quite a few of them are bought and un-restored by scraping off the glue and CT so the value of PLODs with the glue and CTs (not trimmed) are going higher than they used. I have seen a haft dozen or more AF 15 that had this done...PLOD 5.0 coming back to Blue 3.0.

I have been watching this trend for the past year and no doubt, the price of PLOD is getting close to a point where this type of flip is getting less and less profitable.

A "scraped off" book can look reeeeaaally ugly. I had the ct taken off one of my AF15s and I didn't like the result at all. I ended up selling the book because I didn't like the look any more.

Remember, a color scrape on an AF15 is going to really show up because of the dark background.

Hmm, maybe I should get out the exacto knife and cut the bled through areas out of my copy? Then I'd need to find some kind of rodent to get to chew up the top edge a bit... what would that look like? :facepalm:

Although so Common

-J.

What is the assumption on the slab vs raw population of AF15? My guesstimate is that there are thousands of copies that aren't slabbed.

I would say very few raws out there overall, and probably virtually none in higher grade (6.0+), as evidenced by the oodles and oodles of lower grade slabs on the census as it is. Everybody knows what this comic is, and people are even slabbing pieces of it now like they do some of those early Actions and Tecs.

-J.

Percentage or otherwise I think there are way more AF 15's out in the wild than any form of Action 1 or Tec 27. Sure there's the Dentists Action 1 ungraded but I'd guess at least 10+ 9.0 and greater AF 15's still ungraded.

Although so Common

-J.

I would say very few raws out there overall, and probably virtually none in higher grade (6.0+), as evidenced by the oodles and oodles of lower grade slabs on the census as it is. Everybody knows what this comic is, and people are even slabbing pieces of it now like they do some of those early Actions and Tecs.

-J.

Pretty sure there was a discussion about this not too long and I think the consensus was that there were 10 to 15K copies of AF15 that were probably floating around out in the world. That would mean less than 10% are slabbed.

Although so Common

-J.

-J.

Pretty sure there was a discussion about this not too long and I think the consensus was that there were 10 to 15K copies of AF15 that were probably floating around out in the world. That would mean less than 10% are slabbed.

Exactly. How manycopies did Gator say the one collector he knows had?

Although so Common

-J.

-J.

A short box full... So, I would imagine you could stuff a hundred in a short box, right?

Although so Common

-J.

-J.

A short box full... So, I would imagine you could stuff a hundred in a short box, right?

WOW!!!!! :o Does anyone know when he acquired all of these AF15s?

Although so Common

-J.

-J.

Apart from the odd anecdote and urban legend you might hear, I find that highly dubious. Especially given the infrequency of newly slabbed copies that appear on the census. And again, even more so considering the percentage of AF 15's that are low grade on the census. If anything, the evidence would suggest that the bottom of the barrel is being scraped as far as raw AF 15's being discovered is concerned at this point. Moral of the story: Be happy if you are fortunate enough to have one in any grade, and don't hold your breath waiting for a massive influx of newly discovered copies to bring current prices down, if you're on the fence about buying one.

-J.

the restored book market for AF 15 is healthy and that can be said for other Silver age keys as well because...quite a few of them are bought and un-restored by scraping off the glue and CT so the value of PLODs with the glue and CTs (not trimmed) are going higher than they used. I have seen a haft dozen or more AF 15 that had this done...PLOD 5.0 coming back to Blue 3.0.

I have been watching this trend for the past year and no doubt, the price of PLOD is getting close to a point where this type of flip is getting less and less profitable.

A "scraped off" book can look reeeeaaally ugly. I had the ct taken off one of my AF15s and I didn't like the result at all. I ended up selling the book because I didn't like the look any more.

Remember, a color scrape on an AF15 is going to really show up because of the dark background.

Hmm, maybe I should get out the exacto knife and cut the bled through areas out of my copy? Then I'd need to find some kind of rodent to get to chew up the top edge a bit... what would that look like? :facepalm:

if you don't, the next owner might :baiting:

here is the number so you all can debate

2010 - 79 more blue labels were added to the census

2011 - 122 more blue labels were added to the cencus

2012 - 148 more blue labels were added to the census

2013 - 130 more blue labels were added to the census

there are hoarding by many people...even on this board, there are multiple boardies (excluding dealers) with more than one copy...so demands are higher than supplies...always have and likely going to be for years/decades.

are we scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as supplies? only time will tell.

if you don't, the next owner might :baiting:

I don't think I'll be selling it anytime soon Nick.

th_PICT2729.jpgth_AF15CGC90frontOWWSS.jpg

here is the number so you all can debate

2010 - 79 more blue labels were added to the census

2011 - 122 more blue labels were added to the cencus

2012 - 148 more blue labels were added to the census

2013 - 130 more blue labels were added to the census

there are hoarding by many people...even on this board, there are multiple boardies (excluding dealers) with more than one copy...so demands are higher than supplies...always have and likely going to be for years/decades.

are we scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as supplies? only time will tell.

A certain percentage of those blue labels are re subs and unrestored copies. It is also interesting how many of those blue label additions to the census are in the lower grades. And yet still the lower grade copies seem to be realizing the greater percentage price appreciation right now.

-J.