• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FINAL SCHOMBURG POLL -ENDS Sunday 11:59PM EST

69 posts in this topic

After seeing all these great covers I am left with one overwhelming impression: Suspense 3 is vastly overrated compared to other Schomburg covers.

Couldn't disagree more. For me it is easily top 3 and maybe #1. Guess we'll see how the voting goes!

After seeing all these great covers I am left with one overwhelming impression: Suspense 3 is vastly overrated compared to other Schomburg covers.

Couldn't disagree more. For me it is easily top 3 and maybe #1. Guess we'll see how the voting goes!

agreed 100% Mike. I think because it's a five figure book, non superhero, and cover only book makes some folks down play it. I will say there are tons of great Schomburg covers that are much cheaper than Suspense 3. Should be fun to see the results.

I voted... wish exciting #60 was on the list... not sure how 61 and 66 made it on the list and not 60... do we get write-ins? (:

I agree. It is superior to the other two.

12311865403_57fde009e1_c.jpg

:facepalm:

Must confess that I do admire her frame. ;)

Still, it's hard to beat Schomburg's early Inkwell Period for raw, gripping emotion... :grin:

ae2e4deb-2341-4d58-8cba-2c7cd2495839_zpsbca788e0.jpg

Still, it's hard to beat Schomburg's early Inkwell Period for raw, gripping emotion... :grin:

ae2e4deb-2341-4d58-8cba-2c7cd2495839_zpsbca788e0.jpg

I'm a huge fan of his early work. Not as big a fan of his later work.

I'm a fan of all periods, but his pulp-style work in 1940: Daring Mysteries, Marvel Mysteries....oh my! Even though Suspense 3 is a little later, it's still in my top 3 (maybe #1). It's perhaps his moodiest cover.

I'm a fan of all periods, but his pulp-style work in 1940: Daring Mysteries, Marvel Mysteries....oh my! Even though Suspense 3 is a little later, it's still in my top 3 (maybe #1). It's perhaps his moodiest cover.

Just did the Schomburg survey a solid over in General. (thumbs u

This should attract a larger pool of participants than the usual suspects to our neck of the woods (hopefully a good thing). hm

(hopefully a good thing). hm

Ehh..no.

lol

Well, I tried. :sorry:

It's all good DavidMerryweather!

Thanks for posting in Comics General as your thread in CG reminded me about this poll in the Gold Comics section. I remember seeing it, but had forgotten about the poll until your thread. I placed my votes in. (thumbs u

i voted for 9 timely books and only the suspense 3 outside my wheelhouse. i get not liking it as much as others, but "vastly overrated" just doesn't compute for this timely kid.

I think the colour choices have a lot to do for the appeal of this cover.

(hopefully a good thing). hm

Ehh..no.

lol

Well, I tried. :sorry:

I was thinking of doing the same. The good: Getting more people interested in Schomburg. The bad: people less acquainted with Schomburg might vote for popular characters as opposed to just the coolness of the art. I'll sacrifice a little "design integrity" if it means being a good ambassador for GA. Thanks Cat! (thumbs u

For me, his best work were his later Timely covers (and similar covers for other publishers like the Terrific) because of the extreme detail (cluttered even), bold colors, and sheer vitality. I also like their more cartoony feel. Of his early Timely stuff, most seem less appealing to me than covers of the same time period by other artists, except for the Daring Mystery 4, which I really like for both its pulpy feel and the fact it is a good transition from his early to later style with lavish inks (a hallmark of his more cartoony art later on) yet very realistic rendering.

I also really like some of his airbrushed covers (both Startling's), but that's mainly due to composition. Where he has more ordinary compositions (see the Excitings), I find the airbrushed art a little boring as compared to the vitality of his Timely work.

My view on Suspense 3 is that the composition is a little too clichéd for me and it just lacks the vitality and interest of others of his covers. The mere presence of a good girl and a swastika don't make it a classic for me.

But, it is all a matter of taste.

thx for the heads up in general DM. I voted and my fav cover of all time is still in the running...... HT 5 :luhv:

They are all of course spectacular